OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:21 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 10235
Hounsy wrote:
They are more interested in acquiring picks all over than out and out tanking. Tanking would be counter productive to the system building that is already in place, but that is not to say with the talent deficit they have that good system or not they finish last. I'm figuring on a pick in the 3-7 range and add that to Rielly, Nylander, and Marner and a very young and successful AHL team and I like how the season is going.


That's the point that I was trying to get at. They aren't tanking if they are putting a good system in place, building up the trade value of their existing assets, but getting awful goaltending. It accomplishes what they are setting out to do in while potentially getting them a better pick in the draft than they would if they were getting great goaltending. Last year, getting great goaltending might have dropped them 1 slot in the draft from 4th to 5th, which might not be huge in the long run. This year could drop them more slots due to the lottery or closer standings. Who knows. Just trying to say that while they aren't tanking, getting bad goaltending while Reimer and Sparks are injured is not necessarily a bad thing for what they are trying to accomplish.

Reimer and Sparks getting injured is not a positive, though.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:15 pm 
Offline
King of the One-Liner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 pm
Posts: 5305
Location: Too deep in crease.
Bosc wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
They are more interested in acquiring picks all over than out and out tanking. Tanking would be counter productive to the system building that is already in place, but that is not to say with the talent deficit they have that good system or not they finish last. I'm figuring on a pick in the 3-7 range and add that to Rielly, Nylander, and Marner and a very young and successful AHL team and I like how the season is going.


That's the point that I was trying to get at. They aren't tanking if they are putting a good system in place, building up the trade value of their existing assets, but getting awful goaltending. It accomplishes what they are setting out to do in while potentially getting them a better pick in the draft than they would if they were getting great goaltending. Last year, getting great goaltending might have dropped them 1 slot in the draft from 4th to 5th, which might not be huge in the long run. This year could drop them more slots due to the lottery or closer standings. Who knows. Just trying to say that while they aren't tanking, getting bad goaltending while Reimer and Sparks are injured is not necessarily a bad thing for what they are trying to accomplish.

Reimer and Sparks getting injured is not a positive, though.


Bad goal-tending can undermine a good system as trust is a key element, so I suspect they would rather Bernier give them NHL level goaltender for them than what he has this season for the most part. To me it seems more successful teams are built on finding and developing good players with all their picks than picking in the top five overall and getting the player every dope like me on a hockey forum knows is the best pick.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:19 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 10235
Hounsy wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
They are more interested in acquiring picks all over than out and out tanking. Tanking would be counter productive to the system building that is already in place, but that is not to say with the talent deficit they have that good system or not they finish last. I'm figuring on a pick in the 3-7 range and add that to Rielly, Nylander, and Marner and a very young and successful AHL team and I like how the season is going.


That's the point that I was trying to get at. They aren't tanking if they are putting a good system in place, building up the trade value of their existing assets, but getting awful goaltending. It accomplishes what they are setting out to do in while potentially getting them a better pick in the draft than they would if they were getting great goaltending. Last year, getting great goaltending might have dropped them 1 slot in the draft from 4th to 5th, which might not be huge in the long run. This year could drop them more slots due to the lottery or closer standings. Who knows. Just trying to say that while they aren't tanking, getting bad goaltending while Reimer and Sparks are injured is not necessarily a bad thing for what they are trying to accomplish.

Reimer and Sparks getting injured is not a positive, though.


Bad goal-tending can undermine a good system as trust is a key element, so I suspect they would rather Bernier give them NHL level goaltender for them than what he has this season for the most part. To me it seems more successful teams are built on finding and developing good players with all their picks than picking in the top five overall and getting the player every dope like me on a hockey forum knows is the best pick.


Yeah, that's a good point as well.

Teams can be built either way, really. Chicago and Pitts have/had a shitton of high picks. So does Edmonton. :lol: :chris18: Boston and LA had at least a top-2 pick among other high picks. Detroit didn't.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:37 pm 
Offline
King of the One-Liner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 pm
Posts: 5305
Location: Too deep in crease.
Bosc wrote:
Teams can be built either way, really. Chicago and Pitts have/had a shitton of high picks. So does Edmonton. :lol: :chris18: Boston and LA had at least a top-2 pick among other high picks. Detroit didn't.


Other than maybe the Pens to a degree those other successful teams where also good at turning none high first picks into good pieces, most of the recently traditional bad teams are not. Really Toronto has had a lot of top ten picks recently as even though they did not know they where rebuilding, they where drafting like it. This coming draft will give them four seasons in a row of top ten picks so they have that part of the formula if they got them right covered.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:49 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 10235
Hounsy wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Teams can be built either way, really. Chicago and Pitts have/had a shitton of high picks. So does Edmonton. :lol: :chris18: Boston and LA had at least a top-2 pick among other high picks. Detroit didn't.


Other than maybe the Pens to a degree those other successful teams where also good at turning none high first picks into good pieces, most of the recently traditional bad teams are not.


Yup, for sure. Toronto and Edmonton have been really bad for the past 10-15 years at getting NHL talent out of non-first rounders.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:46 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 23186
http://theleafsnation.com/2016/1/16/so- ... n-his-head


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:17 pm 
Offline
King of the One-Liner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 pm
Posts: 5305
Location: Too deep in crease.
Av-merican wrote:
http://theleafsnation.com/2016/1/16/so-much-is-happening-in-this-gif-of-morgan-rielly-trying-to-squeeze-a-helmet-on-his-head


They also got scored on while Rielly was on the bench trying to get a helmet when he should have been on the ice shortly after all that fun and games.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:07 am 
Offline
King of the One-Liner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 pm
Posts: 5305
Location: Too deep in crease.
Leafs not going full Buffalo and continue to let Reimer fight the tank, that said no McDavid or clear cut top two like last year so don't blame either team for their choices. Going to be interesting to see what happened with Reimer if he keeps up his play over the next few weeks as he is UFA and playing near the top of the league, baring a sudden injury though do not see any playoff hopeful being in the goalie market. Get a good offer trade him then attempt to sign back again in the Summer and if no real market exist keep him and work on an extension.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:25 am 
Offline
King of the One-Liner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 pm
Posts: 5305
Location: Too deep in crease.
Bosc wrote:
There is no way that they're calling up Nylander when they're tied for last place. Firesale time.


James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 22h22 hours ago
Babcock: "I'm dying for somebody to score a goal."

Bozak, JVR, Lupul, and Mathias are all out of the Leafs lineup at this point. So do you take a look at Nylander now that you need someone to fill an offensive role or all the more reason to keep him away as the spotlight might be a little much with too much load and expectations for him to step in and be "the" guy. On the fence somewhat maybe leaning towards leave him down as the loses are not unreasonable at this point in the build.

Komarov 33pts
Kadri 28pts
PAP 26pts
Holland 21pts
Boyes 14pts
Winnik 13pts

That would be their top six active players points totals. It was pretty bad before some of them got hurt. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:28 am 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 12050
Location: 'Real City
Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie 7m7 minutes ago
Hearing lots of Dion Phaneuf trade chatter. Starting to think he could actually be dealt before the deadline.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:57 am 
Offline
King of the One-Liner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 pm
Posts: 5305
Location: Too deep in crease.
E.L. wrote:
Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie 7m7 minutes ago
Hearing lots of Dion Phaneuf trade chatter. Starting to think he could actually be dealt before the deadline.


Not sure what kinda value you get without major retention and with the Kessel deal already retaining long term don't think they should go for that again for minimal returns. Leaf brass have certainly done everything in their power to "pump his tires" with somewhat sheltered ice time and glowing reviews to the media but just don't think that is fooling any NHL managers. Good defenseman and all not saying he isn't but he is just good and with a big contract just am not excited at the potential returns. But maybe they can via cap dump coming back that is only a couple seasons left make me more excited at the prospect of trading Phaneuf...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:32 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 10235
Wow. Michalek, Greening and Cowen all UFA after 16-17. Leafs take on some additional salary for next year but nothing beyond.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:36 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 10235
Pair Dion with Karlsson, boost his numbers, trade him, profit

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:43 pm 
Offline
King of the One-Liner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 pm
Posts: 5305
Location: Too deep in crease.
Bosc wrote:
Wow. Michalek, Greening and Cowen all UFA after 16-17. Leafs take on some additional salary for next year but nothing beyond.


Cool then the Leafs will have the money to have Hedman rejoin Stamkos. teehee I kid.

Though the deal really does free up money right around the right time they may be able to put it to good use.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:13 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 23186
Sooooooo, who's the next captain?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:14 pm 
Offline
King of the One-Liner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 pm
Posts: 5305
Location: Too deep in crease.
Av-merican wrote:
Sooooooo, who's the next captain?


If they do name one it is Komarov with out a doubt in my mind. Or they go with no captain for the time being and leave it open for an off season signing. :spin:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:58 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 10235
Hounsy wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
Sooooooo, who's the next captain?


If they do name one it is Komarov with out a doubt in my mind. Or they go with no captain for the time being and leave it open for an off season signing. :spin:


Just name Stamkos captain even though he's currently playing in Tampa. Take the whole naming Phaneuf captain before he even played a game thing to a whole new level.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:14 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 8858
Bosc wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
Sooooooo, who's the next captain?


If they do name one it is Komarov with out a doubt in my mind. Or they go with no captain for the time being and leave it open for an off season signing. :spin:


Just name Stamkos captain even though he's currently playing in Tampa. Take the whole naming Phaneuf captain before he even played a game thing to a whole new level.


:yayyy:

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:58 pm 
Offline
King of the One-Liner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 pm
Posts: 5305
Location: Too deep in crease.
Maybe with the right amount of voodoo the Leafs can turn Michalek into some sort of deadline 2017 mid round pick?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:13 pm 
Offline
King of the One-Liner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 pm
Posts: 5305
Location: Too deep in crease.
Kadri making throat slitting gesture last night after being hit. Suspect he gets a game for it, what a dope.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group