OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:10 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Well another one of these.

Going to be an active off season in Leaf land as we await a new coach and GM or you'd think GM and coach but so goes Leafland. Not sure really who is in the running for GM or coach to be honest I know they where one of the teams to talk to Babcock but not sure what kinda sales job Shanny would have to come up with to make it seem like a good idea for him other than the challenge of it all...lol

4th over all should be a hell of a good player. Expecting the Leafs to choose between Marmer and Strome, but guess the Yotes could place the center need high and let Hanifin drop which would be my preference. But one of the two OHL kids is cool and still one of the most optimistic draft hopefuls to come the Leafs way in many many seasons. Nashvilles pick as well at 23rd could find player as well in this deep draft. Would have liked a second or two this draft but the Leafs have none.

Player movement..could be lots and could be big deals...could be nothing much other than some fill the holes signings that you hope can get you a 2nd to 5th come the deadline.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:14 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

I love how you're posting this at the very moment everyone seems convinced Toronto won the Babcock sweepstakes.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:30 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

https://twitter.com/Whoabot/status/601050696373379072

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:39 pm 
King of the One-Liner

saskhab wrote:
I love how you're posting this at the very moment everyone seems convinced Toronto won the Babcock sweepstakes.

Haha just reading that...I guess if Toronto was really willing to out bid by a long shot it could happen but that just does not seem like a Leaf thing to do. Does not effect the cap and it's not my profits being spent so go for it Leafs.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:02 pm 

And there it is. $50m and an 8 year contract or Babcock, heavily front loaded.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:04 pm 
OTP Historian

Didn't think Babcock to Toronto would happen, but there it is. $50 million does it.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:07 pm 

Leafs don't have a GM yet, right?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:22 pm 
OTP Historian

Jeremy Jacobs: What are the Wings offering you?
Martin Lapointe: 3 years, $9 million.
Jeremy Jacobs: Ok, we will give you 5 years, $20 million.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:26 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Some indications I see that Buffalo was offering 5 per. Hope the eight years means Babcock is on board with a couple of years of building at first and was not told it is a win now situation.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:01 pm 
Big in Japan

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Babcock took the money. They always take the money.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:41 am 
OTP Clown

Ha!

Ya think a coach can help this mess?

:haha:

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:09 am 
OTP Historian

https://vine.co/v/eA9Ai2FTFjr

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:48 am 
King of the One-Liner

Stinky wrote:
Ha!

Ya think a coach can help this mess?

:haha:

Well that remains the big mystery. Does the mess get a babcock varnish over top of the current finish or do the sand it down to the wood first?

edit: and he just said more pain is still coming. good.

edit 2. Listening to the presser I kinda suspect Mark Hunter is already the GM and they just haven't got around to making it official just yet.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:53 pm 
Big in Japan

Hounsy wrote:
Listening to the presser I kinda suspect Mark Hunter is already the GM and they just haven't got around to making it official just yet.

Good observation. It seems doubtful they'll bring in another ego from the outside to be GM.

Also: I'm surprised at the number of people I know who read Babcock's book. Didn't even know he wrote a book.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:57 pm 

Leafs hired another OHL GM for their front office staff today as well, so yeah not sure what an outsider would bring to the fold at this point.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:26 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
Listening to the presser I kinda suspect Mark Hunter is already the GM and they just haven't got around to making it official just yet.

Good observation. It seems doubtful they'll bring in another ego from the outside to be GM.

Also: I'm surprised at the number of people I know who read Babcock's book. Didn't even know he wrote a book.

It's on my shelf but I haven't yet gotten around to reading it.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:30 pm 

Interesting how different the approach is now as opposed to 2008 (man, was it really that long ago!?). The Leafs went out and hired the consensus choice for best available GM. This time around, without an actual GM in place they go out and hire the best available coach.

Ken Campbell asked if Babcock has anything in his contract that gives him a say in personnel decisions, he answered that there wasn't, but I'm certain he wouldn't have taken the job if he didn't have some power in that capacity. The fact that they might actually be going into next season without an official GM in place just solidifies that.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:36 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

E.L. wrote:

Me either

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:25 pm 
King of the One-Liner

So for what it is worth based on the three guys being thrown around in the tier the Leafs draft my order of preference would be hannifin then Strome then Marner with all three really close and just place D and C + size over Marner maybe being a winger rather than a center. But I am not a prospect watcher so really do not get to worked up about it as Strome is the only guy I have watched live a few times.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:36 am 
King of the One-Liner

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-t ... o-heat-up/

Friedman's thirty on Leaf off season stuff.

2. The Maple Leafs sent out a communiqué last week indicating any team wanting to talk trade should go through assistant GM Kyle Dubas. This led to speculation maybe Dubas would be elevated to the full-time GM position, but that appears premature. Director of player personnel Mark Hunter is responsible for draft selections, so it doesn’t look like Toronto wanted to add another 72-ounce Lone Star steak to his plate. What it does say, though, is Brendan Shanahan really trusts Dubas. That’s big responsibility at this time in the franchise’s existence.

3. Toronto’s let it be known it will take salary back for Phil Kessel, but there is a limit. It’s got to be less (in term and value) than Kessel’s. The Maple Leafs are more interested in prospects and draft picks, but recognize that alone won’t get a deal done. Since the idea is to help create cap flexibility, it doesn’t make sense to receive a similar contract in return.

As for smaller moves, the organization traded Greg McKegg in the deal for unsigned (as of now) college free agent Zach Hyman. Other AHLers are available, including the likes of defenceman Andrew MacWilliam, heading into his third year as a pro.

4. Toronto will continue to negotiate a new contract with Jonathan Bernier, but it was an aggressive move to file for club-elected salary arbitration. They are sending a message there will be no dispute lasting into next season. There’s nothing wrong with taking a one-year deal heading into free agency and betting on yourself, but another exec made a good point: if the Maple Leafs really do strip it down, that’s tough for a goalie. Difficult to be successful in those circumstances. What’s Toronto offering with term? An average annual value of $4M, maybe?