OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:19 am 
OTP Historian

us 679 part trois wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
With the time this took makes me wonder if they struck out on getting someone else.

But does he not still have one year left on his contract? If that were the case, they still didn't need to sign him.

Letting the last year of a coaching contract run out with no extension is really rare, I think.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:20 am 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
The speculation was mainly around MacLellan in San Jose. Apparently Shanahan only viewed guys who coached him in Detroit as better than Carlyle, who coached the Leafs to the worst shot differential in an 82 game season ever.

It sounds as though Blashill in Grand Rapids would be a top candidate, but Detroit has denied permission for teams to speak to him. Friedman was saying that Holland is hoping to push for compensation of losing front office talent, so putting that off as long as possible could net them a late pick or something in the end.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:23 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Bosc wrote:
us 679 part trois wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
With the time this took makes me wonder if they struck out on getting someone else.

But does he not still have one year left on his contract? If that were the case, they still didn't need to sign him.

Letting the last year of a coaching contract run out with no extension is really rare, I think.

That may be true, but if you really want to get rid of a guy, as Hounsy was saying, and didn't like what was out there, you would still have a year to either find a new coach or maybe Carlyle turns the team around.

I know that that is lame duck status, but there's some speculation that if the Leafs start out shity, he'll be gone by December.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:24 am 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
The speculation was mainly around MacLellan in San Jose. Apparently Shanahan only viewed guys who coached him in Detroit as better than Carlyle, who coached the Leafs to the worst shot differential in an 82 game season ever.

Fuck, how does this go unnoticed by media types who like to point out that Carlyle has a Cup and is a great coach...it must be the players on the ice. Shot differential??? Get those fancy advanced stats out of here!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:24 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Bosc wrote:
saskhab wrote:

It sounds as though Blashill in Grand Rapids would be a top candidate, but Detroit has denied permission for teams to speak to him. Friedman was saying that Holland is hoping to push for compensation of losing front office talent, so putting that off as long as possible could net them a late pick or something in the end.

That's an awful, awful awful awful awful suggestion. Let's all put restrictions on our own labour movement! So when we get fired, we now have to debate whether I should take an assistant GM/coaching gig for a team or whether I should wait out for a head position!

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:26 am 
OTP Historian

us 679 part trois wrote:
Bosc wrote:
us 679 part trois wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

That may be true, but if you really want to get rid of a guy, as Hounsy was saying, and didn't like what was out there, you would still have a year to either find a new coach or maybe Carlyle turns the team around.

I know that that is lame duck status, but there's some speculation that if the Leafs start out shity, he'll be gone by December.

I agree, wasn't trying to defend the practice. Funny thing is in terms of standings the Leafs haven't started out shitty the past 2 seasons. They crash and burn later, and will it be too late for a change?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:36 am 
King of the One-Liner

Yeah the cost of the extension is likely worth avoiding the lame duck questions and distractions from media and players for MLSE.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:44 am 

Hounsy wrote:
Yeah the cost of the extension is likely worth avoiding the lame duck questions and distractions from media and players for MLSE.

I agree with this. But it's hilarious how often their coach looks at the year and says he has no idea what went wrong and what has to be done to fix it.

Pretty much this:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/201 ... rthur.html

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:56 am 

Like, seriously:

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status ... 1686345730

How can one organization be so bad at assessing their needs and home grown talent? It's amazing.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:59 am 
OTP Historian

Leiweke: ACCOUNTABILITY!!!!

This quote from Nonis is awesome.

Quote:
“To me it’s a simple answer,” Nonis said. “If you’ve seen it done before with the same players, or most of the same players, and with that coach leading that group, I know it can happen. I know it has happened with this group before.

Oh fantastic! That means that he recognizes that the team has failed before under Carlyle and has had miserable possession numbers and merely survived on the backs of the goalies. He must be firing him!

Quote:
I know that he has reached them before, reached them at times this year.
“We’re not guessing whether or not he can have success. We’ve seen it. I know it’s there, and we feel that he is the guy that can get through to this group.”

Wait, what?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:17 am 
King of the One-Liner

Leiweke is a blowhard nature of the beast I guess but I find it really annoying.

Carlyle may very well have ideas of what went wrong and is choosing to not throw anyone under the bus. "May very well"

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:01 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Leiweke is a blowhard nature of the beast I guess but I find it really annoying.

Carlyle may very well have ideas of what went wrong and is choosing to not throw anyone under the bus. "May very well"

This quote is either really awkwardly worded or priceless. It makes it sound like they said "Do out and do what those guys are doing" without actually instructing the players on how to do it, and then wondering why they weren't doing it or what they were doing wasn't working.

Quote:
Carlyle, meanwhile, kept saying Thursday that he found the season confusing, or mind-boggling. He said the coaching staff asked the players to play the way playoff teams are currently playing — less of a rush team, more of a forecheck and possession team, defensively stout — but it didn’t work, and wasn’t sure why. He really did say mind-boggling a lot.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:02 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

So strange that Leiweke has seemingly done so well with TFC and the Raptors, yet when it comes to MLSE's crown jewel, he's completely clueless.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:18 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
So strange that Leiweke has seemingly done so well with TFC and the Raptors, yet when it comes to MLSE's crown jewel, he's completely clueless.

Bigger egos.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:22 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Av-merican wrote:

Well TFC Bought it's way to improvement and Raptors not unlike last years Leafs have only had a good fifty game run thus far.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:42 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Hounsy wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Well TFC Bought it's way to improvement and Raptors not unlike last years Leafs have only had a good fifty game run thus far.

That's true, but at the same time he wasn't afraid to shake up the brain trust on both those teams, and snagged Masai Ujiri out from under the Denver Nuggets right after winning GM of the Year.

What's alarming is that by all accounts it was Leiweke who pushed for the Clarkson deal.