OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:08 pm 

RFA, Cody Franson & UFA, Mike Mottau have signed contracts with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

:Butch:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:16 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Mottau!?

:haha: :haha: :haha:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:15 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Well would rather start the season as is with no movement than see a Luongo deal so I am okay with the silence in Leaf land this week.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:19 pm 

Hopefully Nonis doesn't do what he did in Vancouver--swing a huge deal for Luongo and then do little else.

But hey, at least your team didn't sign Cam Barker!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:33 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Av-merican wrote:
Hopefully Nonis doesn't do what he did in Vancouver--swing a huge deal for Luongo and then do little else.

Luongo can't wait five years to have a team built around him to get back to the finals. Sure some guys can play well at 39 but not most. Just not a fit with the Leafs right now as they are not close enough. If you can't capitalize on the next 2-3 years of him then not worth taking on his deal at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:15 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Luongo can't wait five years to have a team built around him to get back to the finals. Sure some guys can play well at 39 but not most. Just not a fit with the Leafs right now as they are not close enough. If you can't capitalize on the next 2-3 years of him then not worth taking on his deal at all.

Good Lord, are you tellin' me the Leafs have to blow it all up AGAIN!?

I don't know, at this point I think the Leafs have got to at least try and see if this core of talent can do something. No, they shouldn't mortgage any more of the future (unless it's Nazem Kadri, who doesn't have much of a future anyway) to do so.

I'm actually in agreement with you on Luongo though. He's on the decline, and frankly there's just something about him that makes me think he will NEVER win a Cup. I hate to be pulling a Skip Bayless here and emphasize intangibles over actual talent and a proven track record, but that's my gut feeling. I still think Nonis needs to acquire a goaltender, and there are options available.

Best case scenario for the Leafs IMO is if Tallon ends up being stupid enough to trade for Bobby Lou and Jacob Markstrom becomes available.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:31 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Av-merican wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
Good Lord, are you tellin' me the Leafs have to blow it all up AGAIN!?

Who knows maybe Getzlaf still has it and wants to be a Leaf this summer cause you know in Leaf land there is always next year.

Seriously though, they don't need to blow it up and they have a very young core but even if they make the right moves they will need two years to get it together which would have them competing in the playoffs in three years IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:12 pm 

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413721

Lombardi returns to Phoenix for a conditional pick.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:14 pm 

Nonis being aggressive to shape up this roster!

LEAFS TRADE LOMBARDI TO COYOTES FOR CONDITIONAL PICK

The Toronto Maple Leafs have traded Matthew Lombardi to the Phoenix Coyotes for a conditional draft pick.

According to TSN Insider Darren Dreger Toronto receives a fourth-round draft pick that would turn into a third-rounder should Lombardi re-sign in Phoenix after this season. The Leafs will retain the $500,000 signing bonus owed to Lombardi as well as a portion of his remaining salary in the deal.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413721

:wookie:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:14 pm 

Ha. Beat'cha to it!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:29 pm 

Yeah, but my posting contained a picture & some quality literature compliments TSN!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:12 am 
King of the One-Liner

Good sign that one or both of Kadri and Frattin are getting a shot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:43 am 

Word around the streets is that Kadri has also been very good on the draws. I would be interested to see how he performs between Lupul & Kessel.

:suprisedtoangry:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:01 am 
King of the One-Liner

Also saw in an interview with Kadri that he has been turning to Lupul as an older guy to talk about stuff with on the team. Recall thinking earlier last season that Lupul appeared to carry himself on the ice with some leadership glad to hear evidence that is indeed happening.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:10 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Good sign that one or both of Kadri and Frattin are getting a shot.

So is this:

LEAFS' CONNOLLY EXPECTED TO BE PLACED ON WAIVERS

Toronto Maple Leafs forward Tim Connolly was not on the ice at practice on Thursday and it's expected the veteran forward will be placed on waivers.

Details to follow.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413760

Recently freed cap space:

Lombardi $3.00
Connolly $4.75

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:42 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Don't think the cap space matters much this year which is all that remains on Connolly deal anyway. Though who know maybe they have a big trade of picks and prospects for a big time center ready to go. ;) But cool with letting go of Connolly if for no other reasons than to play Kadri and Frattin while at the same time give Connolly a chance to play somewhere. Then again Connolly could still end up not playing on the Leafs roster at this point as well, but clearly he is not in the plans so hope he gets picked up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:35 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Jesus, that seems dumb. He's a prime bounceback candidate. Someone should grab him near the top of the waiver chain.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:02 pm 

saskhab wrote:
Jesus, that seems dumb. He's a prime bounceback candidate. Someone should grab him near the top of the waiver chain.

29 other teams wouldn't give up a draft pick for him, so let's see if he is plucked from the waiver wire tomorrow.

Contrarily; it is a great move. He didn't do anything worth a shit for the Leafs last season. (Not to say many others did); but I would much rather see a 20 year old do nothing than a veteran of 700 games.

Wouldn't you?

:chris18:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:19 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Heard on the radio that people watching the camp said he seemed very uninspired at camp.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:12 am 

Don't forget guys; this was a team that was poised to make the playoffs last season until their 18 wheeler went off the cliff.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next