OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:07 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Bosc wrote:
There is a fruit farm out on the country roads of Milton that says "McDavid is coming".

Well the Leafs may end up with what a 9-10% shot at him if they can keep the tank strong, but that is not exactly good odds.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:22 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

So the rumo(u)r mill says the Panthros kicked the uncoachable tires on Kessel, but essentially laughed in Nonis's face when he said it'd take Bjugstad or Barkov to get a deal done.

Personally, I think Huberdeau/pick would be a fair deal, but I doubt it'd ever happen.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:37 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Av-merican wrote:
So the rumo(u)r mill says the Panthros kicked the uncoachable Proverbial spare tire on Kessel, but essentially laughed in Nonis's face when he said it'd take Bjugstad or Barkov to get a deal done.

Personally, I think Huberdeau/pick would be a fair deal, but I doubt it'd ever happen.

Fixed that for you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:08 pm 
OTP Historian

Leafs getting outshot 31 to 9. Winning 2-0. Textbook 2012-2015 Leafs hockey.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:48 am 

Bosc wrote:
Leafs getting outshot 31 to 9. Winning 2-0. Textbook 2012-2015 Leafs hockey.

THE POST-CLARKSON EFFECT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:57 am 

BTW, is Nonis really still the guy "gettin' er done" anymore? Or is he just keeping the seat warm? I can't imagine he has much if any authority at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:08 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Av-merican wrote:
BTW, is Nonis really still the guy "gettin' er done" anymore? Or is he just keeping the seat warm? I can't imagine he has much if any authority at this point.

He may have bought himself a little time with the Clarkson move. At least he buried the turd he put in the litter box.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:23 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

He may have bought himself a little time with the Clarkson move. At least he buried the turd he put in the litter box.

Apparently Columbus approached him about it. He deserves about 0 credit for it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:51 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

I think Columbus wanted a sweetener for the deal.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:00 am 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

I think Columbus wanted a sweetener for the deal.

What's the expected value of a late round draft pick? Let's say +500,0000. Okay so we will give him that credit for not being a fucking idiot and forking over a pick(Columbus was going to do this deal regardless or getting a sweetener or not). He was at -$36,750,000 alone on the Clarkson deal.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:07 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Even if it was Nonis who came up with the idea the deal is to bury his mistake at the cost of what? 25 million give or take?

Great deal for fans thinking this team in a couple of years could be good, but to the owners it still stinks all the same and I think he is gone and likely Dubas with a healthy dose of Shanny take over shortly after the season is over.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:17 pm 
OTP Historian

LOL Steve Fucking Simmons. Seriously.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/stat ... 2744042496

Quote:
CBJ initiated trade proposal with TOR. They wanted to lose Horton's financial commitment for player who couldn't play. CBJ wanted Clarkson.
7:00 PM - 26 Feb 2015

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/02/26/le ... on-mistake

Quote:
FIRST POSTED: THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 26, 2015 08:46 PM EST | UPDATED: THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 26, 2015 08:50 PM EST

The Maple Leafs front office was meeting the other day, as they do most days, talking about trade possibilities, kicking things around, when a stroke of genius was spoken aloud.

And everyone paused for just a moment to comprehend what was said about the seemingly impossible.

About finding a way to trade David Clarkson.

What about finding a team, it was suggested, that wasn’t up against the salary cap, that had a need to justify all its dollars, that had a player of similar contract being paid for not playing because of injury?

The concept was brilliant: Trade bad contract for bad contract — with a catch. Could they actually pull this off?

Was there such a team with a match?

They began their due diligence at that moment, going team-by-team, payroll-by-payroll, contract-by-contract, trying to find a home and a fit for a player who didn’t fit and couldn’t find a home with the Leafs.

They stopped at the Columbus Blue Jackets. Perfect, they thought. The Jackets had Nathan Horton not playing. His contract wasn’t insured. Money is tight in Columbus.

Then the phone calls began.

“We started discussing this with Columbus in the last couple of days,” said Dave Nonis, the Leafs general manager of the moment — and maybe longer after this heroic deal. “Internally, we knew this made sense for us. It turns out they were interested as well. (Some other teams were interested, but not in the same kind of way.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:15 pm 
Big in Japan

Leafs pick up no-longer-a-prospect D Tim Erixon off waivers from Chicago.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:14 am 
King of the One-Liner

Time to sell some TV ratings and hits so I expect their will be lots of chatter and click bait that Phaneuf and Kessel being close to moving today and no doubt at different times the Habs and Canucks will be on the list of teams bidding....Not saying they couldn't be moved but it will likely appear more likely than it is.

Suspect a couple of depth guys(Ollie Booth) may move for mid to late picks and MAYBE Bozak or Lupul for a bigger name but not with any return to dance about either way.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:17 am 
OTP Historian

Dreger reporting Toronto trade rumours makes me think of Reg Dunlop asking the owner of the Chiefs about moving the team to Florida, a rumour that he himself made up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:05 pm 
OTP Historian

Lots of contradicting reports out there regarding Phaneuf and the Wings.

Ansar Khan is reporting that the Wings want him on a 5M price tag but would likely have to give up their 1st rounder.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf ... defen.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:33 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Yeah Leafs need to wait out on Phaneuf. Off season, next TDL, or never but they can't take a 2million hit on the guy for that many years after he is gone.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:35 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Hounsy wrote:
Yeah Leafs need to wait out on Phaneuf. Off season, next TDL, or never but they can't take a 2million hit on the guy for that many years after he is gone.

i don't think they have to take on 2m for the entirety of the deal, do they? if it helps move him for the next two years, i think toronto can swallow that. after that the cap goes up and the other team should take full responsibility.

that or take their bad contract (weiss, 3 more years). i wouldn't ever give a team a 2m discount for the whole term.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:13 pm 
King of the One-Liner

yeah three more years of bad Salary is okay for where the Leafs are at so that could be the salary part of a deal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:48 pm 
OTP Historian

Nonis: "We will trade you 5 years of an expensive $7 million per year, overpaid player. We will take 4 assets, please."
Holland: "What?"
Nonis: "I'm speaking to Bob Gainey, right?"

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next