It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This sounds familiar...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:26 pm 
OTP Historian

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=273637

Quote:
Two down, two to go.

The Toronto Maple Leafs have had a good week on the U.S. college free agent front, signing forwards Christian Hanson from the University of Notre Dame and Tyler Bozak from Denver University, but the Leafs hope there's more where they came from.

Now the Leafs are targeting a pair of Boston collegians – Boston University defenceman and captain Matt Gilroy and Northeastern University goalie Brad Thiessen.

Maple Leaf front office executive Joe Niuewendyk has been leading the charge on behalf of the Leafs in the U.S. college ranks. It has been Nieuwendyk who has been spending a lot of time in college arenas this season. But in the case of both Gilroy and Thiessen, Maple Leaf GM Brian Burke has also been directly involved since he spends so much time in Boston.

Both Gilroy and Thiessen are amongst the three finalists for the Hobey Baker Award - which goes annually to the top U.S. college player in the country – Nashville first-rounder and BU centre Colin Wilson is the third.

No decision will be reached by Gilroy until after next weekend's Frozen Four NCAA championship in Washington, D.C. Gilroy's BU Terriers play Vermont on Thursday in one semi-final while Bemidji State meets Miami of Ohio in the other. Gilroy has received interest from 20-plus NHL teams, but will finish his college career before making any commitment.

Thiessen, meanwhile, is eligible to turn pro at any time and it's believed the Maple Leafs are on a short list of two or three teams he's considering.

The last time a team did something along these lines, it was an unmitigated fucking disaster. The college ranks are likely better than they were back then, so maybe the Leafs' fortures will be different. Or they did it a year too late for Leaf fans' liking.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:51 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Burke's always liked mining the college ranks has he not?

Gotta admit he put the right guy in charge of this. If Nieuwendyk can't sell you, no one can.

But yes all experts will tell you a diverse portfolio is a good one. No need to dump a bunch of money in one area...then again it is Burke we're talking about here.

But I would argue that yes, the collegiate ranks have become much stronger over the years.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:20 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Av-merican wrote:

Gotta admit he put the right guy in charge of this. If Nieuwendyk can't sell you, no one can.

But yes all experts will tell you a diverse portfolio is a good one. No need to dump a bunch of money in one area...then again it is Burke we're talking about here.

But I would argue that yes, the collegiate ranks have become much stronger over the years.

So has scouting, though. The likelihood of finding Ed Belfour or Adam Oates as a free agent is pretty much gone. I think Bozak is the catch here, as he grew substantially from his draft year (he was 5'9" and in the BCHL as an 18 year old, he's now 6'1" at 23), and I don't expect much out of Hanson or Gilroy. With goalies I guess you never know, and they should want to sign another decent prospect. More than likely Thiessen will be of a Danis or Dubielewicz type quality, though, and not a Miller or Turco who were recognized as decent prospects at age 18.

It's more than likely that you will find a European player that blossoms late than a collegiate one, IMO. Just due to distance, as well as differences in developmental philosophy, European leagues can get underscouted compared to North American ones.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:59 pm 

Thiessen signed with the Pens.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:06 am 
King of the One-Liner

So I guess that leaves Gilroy a D-man as the last sought after College guy. Think he will likely be getting guaranteed money contract unlike others due to age though so kinda meh on him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:33 pm 

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_12086456

Quote:
The Avalanche drafted Galiardi after his freshman season at Dartmouth, and he left school to play major-junior with his hometown Calgary Hitmen last season before signing. The debate about major junior vs. NCAA as a development step is ongoing, but the key is not so much who is "right" — the answer can be different for different players — but whether organizations push major- junior as the way to go.

"There were a lot of things that went into the decision," Galiardi said. "I only played 33 games at Dartmouth, and the year after, when I played for the Hitmen, including the playoffs, I played 88."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:51 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Av-merican wrote:

I read something about this recently. I believe Andy McDonald, Dustin Penner, Andrew Ebbett and Ryan Shannon were all undrafted and signed out of college by Anaheim. Penner and McDonald were before Burke, so maybe he picked up this practice while he was down there and is going to keep doing it in T0.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:39 pm 
BoscUlrichIII wrote:

The last time a team did something along these lines, it was an unmitigated fucking disaster. The college ranks are likely better than they were back then, so maybe the Leafs' fortures will be different. Or they did it a year too late for Leaf fans' liking.

.... I got a good deal on those boys!

:wookie:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:17 am 
Old Man of the Post

Scores his first goal...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:24 am 
King of the One-Liner

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Scores his first goal...

I'm glad he got it out of the way quickly as you know the media was bursting at seems full of Hanson brother and Slap shot references waiting for their chance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:11 pm 
OTP Historian

I've heard this tons of times: "The son of a famous movie hockey player".

No, he's the son of former NHLer. Pretty much gives Dave Hanson no credit for getting to the NHL.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:17 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

It's funny, but I don't remember a Christian or Dave in the famous Hanson brothers.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:39 pm 
OTPoliceman

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=273637

Quote:
Two down, two to go.

The Toronto Maple Leafs have had a good week on the U.S. college free agent front, signing forwards Christian Hanson from the University of Notre Dame and Tyler Bozak from Denver University, but the Leafs hope there's more where they came from.

Now the Leafs are targeting a pair of Boston collegians – Boston University defenceman and captain Matt Gilroy and Northeastern University goalie Brad Thiessen.

Maple Leaf front office executive Joe Niuewendyk has been leading the charge on behalf of the Leafs in the U.S. college ranks. It has been Nieuwendyk who has been spending a lot of time in college arenas this season. But in the case of both Gilroy and Thiessen, Maple Leaf GM Brian Burke has also been directly involved since he spends so much time in Boston.

Both Gilroy and Thiessen are amongst the three finalists for the Hobey Baker Award - which goes annually to the top U.S. college player in the country – Nashville first-rounder and BU centre Colin Wilson is the third.

No decision will be reached by Gilroy until after next weekend's Frozen Four NCAA championship in Washington, D.C. Gilroy's BU Terriers play Vermont on Thursday in one semi-final while Bemidji State meets Miami of Ohio in the other. Gilroy has received interest from 20-plus NHL teams, but will finish his college career before making any commitment.

Thiessen, meanwhile, is eligible to turn pro at any time and it's believed the Maple Leafs are on a short list of two or three teams he's considering.

Yes and no. The problem was the Wings signed the three collegiate players to then big contracts, gave them starting spots on the Wings' roster and moved out veterans to make way for the preppies. Ray Stasak was supposed to be the big catch and his agent was one Brian Burke :fry: . Stasak wasn't ready for the NHL and later suffered a knee injury that basically ended his career. The Wings scored better with Adam Oates. So getting one NHLer from originally signing 3 college players isn't bad odds, it's just that Illich and Devellano shouldn't signed them to such rich contracts and should have had them start in the AHL as the Leafs will with these college kids. Oh yes, the coach to start that season was one, freshly fired from the Canucks Harry Neale. I don't think he lasted 20 games.

I noticed that Wings roster had Glen Merkosky on it for 17 games. I played with Merkosky on a line at Joe Watson's hockey school way back when. The guy was lightning on skates but was just too small to make the NHL in the end.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:46 am 
OTP Historian

drl perfect III wrote:
Yes and no. The problem was the Wings signed the three collegiate players to then big contracts, gave them starting spots on the Wings' roster and moved out veterans to make way for the preppies. Ray Stasak was supposed to be the big catch and his agent was one Brian Burke :fry: . Stasak wasn't ready for the NHL and later suffered a knee injury that basically ended his career. The Wings scored better with Adam Oates. So getting one NHLer from originally signing 3 college players isn't bad odds, it's just that Illich and Devellano shouldn't signed them to such rich contracts and should have had them start in the AHL as the Leafs will with these college kids. Oh yes, the coach to start that season was one, freshly fired from the Canucks Harry Neale. I don't think he lasted 20 games.

I noticed that Wings roster had Glen Merkosky on it for 17 games. I played with Merkosky on a line at Joe Watson's hockey school way back when. The guy was lightning on skates but was just too small to make the NHL in the end.

Thanks for chiming in, Mr. P! Actually, it wasn't just 3, it was 6(maybe even 7) guys :shock: Jimmy D talks about this in his autobiography, and how he told Illitch that they had some players targeted in the college ranks that they felt would help the club and wouldn't cost them any assets to acquire. It was thought that bringing these guys would give them a few serviceable guys and have some results on the scoreboard. This was when they got some older vets, too. When Jimmy D gave him the list, Mr. I just said "sign em all". Well, they got 6 of the 7 that they wanted, and basically the only guy who turned into something was Oates, who they dealt in one of the worst trades the Red Wings ever made. The whole thing backfired miserably, and the rest of the league was pissed for signing so many of those guys.