OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:49 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Not to be confused with Brad Boyes (see what I did there?).

Reading just now that Keefe (who was recently extended) will be trying Willie Nylander at center. Methinks that won't go well, and this is someone who thinks the hate on Michael's son is largely garbage.

Also reading that it's likely both Jake Muzzin and Matt Murray, who account for a combined $10 million cap hit, will very likely be LTIRetired.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:00 pm 

Word is defenseman Conor Timmins took a bad hit in a preseason contest and will miss significant time as a result.

A shame, because he is a legit top-four talent, but he simply cannot stay healthy for any appreciable amount of time. Basically the defenseman version of Nick Robertson.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:29 pm 
Big in Japan

Jake Muzzin is in Prongerland: on LTIR, named as a pro scout.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:43 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Thought it was real cool how Matthews could take the team to the wood shed again for a new contract and the sports network taking heads paid by the same owners that own the team pretend it was a great extension signing. That greedy bastard... and I thought it was a Dubas problem negotiating with stars, but seems Matthews just has a very persuasive agent.

But when Nylander wants market value the pitch forks will come out you watch.

Sure out of the gate bitching and the Leafs should be a really good team this year, but if your top player is not fully committed to win a cup with the Leafs my outlook remains pessimistic to that ultimate goal being reached with the current core.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:36 pm 

So...do they fire the coach now? Sure seems like he's reached peak frustration level. But like many coaches who received their pink slips, he just isn't getting the goaltending.

Dom over at The Athletic called Marner an "empty calorie" points-producer. I'm curious as to what that means--I assume it means he's piled up points in garbage time but not sure.

Friedman has said repeatedly on the 32 Thoughts pod that Toronto may not actually go for it this year and are looking more "big picture." Frankly I would be more than a little pissed if the powers that be was perfectly fine with wasting a prime year of the core four (at least TWO of them are playing like prime-age superstars) but then again there just might be way too much wrong with this roster, especially between the pipes and on the back end.

Steve Dangle's LFRs have been hilarious to watch though. He opened one of the latest just screaming "Brad! BRAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDD!!!" into the camera repeatedly. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:48 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Dom over at The Athletic called Marner an "empty calorie" points-producer. I'm curious as to what that means--I assume it means he's piled up points in garbage time but not sure.

I can't recall the fancy stats term they have for it but I think its the difference between players who can create chances for others and those that don't and just ride along and benefit from the opportunities created for them by others. Basically if you move Marner away from Tavares, Nylander, Austin, he can't make the players he is lined up with any better and at $11 million he should be that kind of player or making a lot less money.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:03 pm 

John Tavares taking on opposing teams on the ice and taking on the Canadian Tax Man off of it.

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nh ... t-with-cra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:14 pm 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
John Tavares taking on opposing teams on the ice and taking on the Canadian Tax Man off of it.

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nh ... t-with-cra

:lol: That was good. 38%...why would anyone want to live there unless they just don't know any different? iiam: No one in their right mind would want to play there. :eng101: Hopefully our brothers in Canada here don't pay anywhere near that ridiculousness.

Quote:
The outcome of the case could have implications on professional sports franchises looking to offer big signing bonuses to convince free agents to play in Canada — a task made harder by the Liberal government’s decision to raise the top federal tax rate from 29% to 33% in 2016

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:23 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

The line about the bonus being integral to him signing there is funny. He took less money to go to the Leafs. Isles, Sharks and Stars all offered more. All the CRA needs to do is point that out and show the photo of him in his Leafs sheets, saying how it was a dream come true. Second time in his career his words will come back to bite him in the ass.

Live video of Tavares right now- https://www.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/9f945cbe-4614-40b7-973c-f0f07f0e0d12

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:42 pm 

Who need Mitch Marner, John Tavares, and Morgan Rielly when you got Bobby McMann! His first career hat trick.

Dare I say it, the Leafs are likely significantly better defensively without Rielly out there.