OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:55 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Leafs are playing big boy hockey they have not looked this good since Sundin still played.

They take and absorb hits to make plays which is a big change. The big one though and wonder if it was the coach or new players but they now can make those little 5-10 foot passes in their own zone along the boards that leads to easy plays out of their zone which in my opinion was one of their worse Achilles heel the last few seasons. More than anything I think it is the D and forwards being on the same page and running set plays rather than free styling in their own end.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:16 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Well, the Leafs are that damned good (vs. Ottawa notwithstanding) and I'd have no issue with them representing the Great White North if it comes to that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:34 pm 
King of the One-Liner

While I do think the Leafs are the class of the division this season I also think the Jets are Solid and have the best goalie and then the Oilers can be streaky both good and bad so catch them in the playoffs on a good streak they could take anyone. Though still time for teams to tinker with systems and rosters. Guess I should take this to Canada cup discussion.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:28 pm 
Big in Japan

The Jets are good. The orgs ability to turn busted defencemen from elsewhere into productive players (Beaulieu, Demelo, Forbort, Kulikov, even Pionk to an extent) is remarkable.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:22 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Obviously he wasn't responsible for the loss last night, but poor Hutch just ain't an NHL goalie. He didn't give up many goals but the ones he did (yes, including the two to "Shotgun Jake") were bad IMO.

Funny that the Leafs went out of their way to avoid another Hutchinson start (I believe he was intended to be their #4 goalie this year) and yet, there he is as their starter.

Sometimes the goalie at the other end gets on a hot streak. What can ya do.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:38 pm 
King of the One-Liner

yes they had caught some lightning in a bottle out of Hutch to start the year as he has been getting wins and putting up good numbers but when you watch him you don't think it looks like he is playing well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:33 am 
King of the One-Liner

and old Leafs are back coasting on talent and not getting results, really thought they had moved on from that this time.

Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me a dozen times, must be a Leaf fan.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:38 pm 
Big in Japan

Hounsy wrote:
and old Leafs are back coasting on talent and not getting results, really thought they had moved on from that this time.

It's a long season. I don't worry about them, but yeah, funky skid. Matthews not 100%?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:11 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Hounsy wrote:

:lol: That needs to be printed on shirseys.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:56 pm 

Get. A. Real. Goalie.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:57 am 
King of the One-Liner

That should be their off season priority, not sure with 14 day quarantines and Freddy eating 5 mil they can work something out in season.

As well hope Matthews gets the business aspect by now as he seems rather close to Andersen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:57 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
That should be their off season priority, not sure with 14 day quarantines and Freddy eating 5 mil they can work something out in season.

As well hope Matthews gets the business aspect by now as he seems rather close to Andersen

Bah, people were all worried about Barrie heading to the Leafs as he and MacKinnon were pretty close, but he was fine.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:15 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

These guys all get that it's a business. At least they do after a friend is traded, doesn't re-sign, etc. They're probably upset the first time it happens, but after that they move on. Look how well keeping/bringing in friends of Tavares' worked for the Isles! :lol: They kept Bailey around, brought in Eberle, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:55 am 
King of the One-Liner

Would like to see the Leafs lock down the top six for the rest of the season and let them all get used to each other day in and day out.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Galchenyuk - Tavaras - Nylander

Those guys work, in fact Galchenyuk has looked fantastic recently with those guys even if the points are not there yet. I feel a product of over coaching these days is too much line juggling to the point that you can't snap a team to attention with in game line changes as the players didn't fell like they had a line to begin with. Oh and don't get me started on breaking up good lines to try and fix failing ones. In Leaf land that could be called the Zack Hyman shuffle.

Though having said that if they could land a forward at the deadline to replace Hyman on the first line would love to see if Hyman - Engvall - Mikheyev was a flash in the pan or just really work that well together as they where crazy good as a unit for the week they where together and think a third line with Hyman as the driving force makes for great line depth.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:34 am 
King of the One-Liner

looked at this briefly so may be off here but sounds like the Leafs picked up Riley Nash to stick on the LTIR until playoffs and as well this opens up more cap space than they would have had without him on the Leafs LTIR.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:34 am 

When I said to get a goalie, I did not mean Big Sieve Dave.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:20 am 
King of the One-Liner

Haha and of course Freddie is going to be ready for playoffs. Might have been simpler if he wasn't, but now what ever happens second guessing can become a thing.

I would continue to treat Campbell as the starter at this point.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:12 pm 
Big in Japan

Hounsy wrote:
Haha and of course Freddie is going to be ready for playoffs. Might have been simpler if he wasn't, but now what ever happens second guessing can become a thing.

Campbell has stoned the Habs, too, even though the Habs busted his streak. I'd ride the hot hand if I were Keefer.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:10 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

Campbell has stoned the Habs, too, even though the Habs busted his streak. I'd ride the hot hand if I were Keefer.

Freddie's deal is expring, it's not like you've got a long-term investment in him. You ride with Campbell. They've seen what happens with Freddie even when healthy.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:12 pm 

Freddy is obviously the #2 going into the playoffs. He’s still a better option than Rittich if healthy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next