OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:51 am 
King of the One-Liner

Well Tavares is the captain.
Opener win in dominate fashion...but it was Ottawa.
Barrie sure likes the razzle dazzle. As a goalie I focus on what happens when that fails for a d-man but if he makes it work most of the time then carry on.
Matthews better stay healthy so he can win a Rocket. His PP numbers are going to be there this year as he becomes the right dot version of OV on the PP.
Timashov is on the team...I called this guy a player a year and a half ago, cool. Doubt he stays but he is on track.
Goat beats out Spezza for a spot on opening night. wow.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:07 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Hounsy wrote:
Well Tavares is the captain.
Opener win in dominate fashion...but it was Ottawa.
Barrie sure likes the razzle dazzle. As a goalie I focus on what happens when that fails for a d-man but if he makes it work most of the time then carry on.
Matthews better stay healthy so he can win a Rocket. His PP numbers are going to be there this year as he becomes the right dot version of OV on the PP.
Timashov is on the team...I called this guy a player a year and a half ago, cool. Doubt he stays but he is on track.
Goat beats out Spezza for a spot on opening night. wow.

That's Tyson Barrie for you. Lots of razzle and dazzle at both ends of the ice. He can be frustrating in stretches but more than makes up for it...personally I'd put him on the top power play unit. He may not be as good overall as Rielly but he's much better manning the point and getting shots through traffic.

I still think Babs is an enormous jerk for scratching Spezza for the opener against his old team. Was playing Gauthier 5-8 minutes really the deciding factor in that game!?

The one player who appears to be really struggling right now is Kapanen. It's only two games but...what's up with him?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:22 pm 

Well, he always has slow starts, but I've never been a big fan of the Great Dane. I just don't think he's a legit franchise goalie. Certainly not at the level the Leafs need him to be if they're going to play a more up-tempo offensive scheme like they do.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:34 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Any goalie is going to suffer in the Leafs system. Sure he may not be a franchise goalie due to being streaky, but I think he is top ten.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:58 pm 

I don't disagree, but I also don't think goaltending in the NHL is all that great. Maybe it's just being spoiled from the 90s when goaltending was never better, but

Now, I still say your goalie's just gotta be "good enough" for your team to win, however, they also need to step up their game when it matters most. Holtby tends to run hot and cold during the regular season, but generally, once the playoffs start, he's on it. Andersen hasn't proved that yet...and I'm not sure he can. The last two times he's had to do so, he did the exact opposite.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:30 pm 

Someone should make a Soup Wood thread.