OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:16 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 21193
E.L. wrote:
Not that anyone would try, but in the meantime doesn't this make them super vulnerable to an offer sheet?


It would screw up their plan regarding the Horton/Clarkson contracts but I don't think they'd be in a position where they had to take the picks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:17 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 21193
BREAKING!

THE LEAFS HAVE SIGNED...






































































Pontus Aberg


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:47 pm 
Offline
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:40 pm
Posts: 2398
Oh c'mon!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:01 am 
Offline
King of the One-Liner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 pm
Posts: 5037
Location: Too deep in crease.
Don't think Marner signs till camp opens.

At this point the Leafs are waiting for other UFA's to sign and other UFA's are waiting for Marner to sign.

All because of the Matthews deal. :laap:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:25 pm 
Offline
Improvement on the US678 prototype
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:06 pm
Posts: 1155
Hounsy wrote:
Don't think Marner signs till camp opens.

At this point the Leafs are waiting for other UFA's to sign and other UFA's are waiting for Marner to sign.

All because of the Matthews deal. :laap:


Now we are hearing stories, that Marner is worth 10 mil max. and that he still needs to prove himself. TSN had reported that term is the issue.

Don't really know at this point. Hounsy, have you heard anything besides what we read?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:33 pm 
Offline
King of the One-Liner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 pm
Posts: 5037
Location: Too deep in crease.
He is worth ten million max, specially if five years.

I have no access to anything credible so most of what I hear is crazy out of touch with reality homer Leaf fans...it does not require repeating. lol

The problem is he is worth what Point and Rantanan are worth and maybe just a bit more than Aho. He is also almost worth what Matthews is but that was a mistake so too bad.

Should have made Nylander sit last year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:58 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 21193
Hounsy wrote:
He is worth ten million max, specially if five years.

I have no access to anything credible so most of what I hear is crazy out of touch with reality homer Leaf fans...it does not require repeating. lol

The problem is he is worth what Point and Rantanan are worth and maybe just a bit more than Aho. He is also almost worth what Matthews is but that was a mistake so too bad.

Should have made Nylander sit last year.


I don't think the Matthews deal was a mistake. The Leafs had ZERO leverage there. Auston is the best player they've had in at least one generation, maybe two, he had their balls in a vise and got exactly the deal he wanted. Marner's camp can say he's just as good as Matthews (and they might be right) but at the end of the day, one guy is a winger, the other is a center. No matter how good the wide receiver is, he knows he's not gonna get the same coin as the star quarterback.

But yeah, Nylander should've sat, and I think Dubas knows the Leafs screwed up there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:52 pm 
Offline
OTP Clown
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:25 pm
Posts: 3654
Wag the dog baby.

The intrigue gives the Toronto Sports Network something to talk about all summer.

This is a fucking sideshow.

It's J.P. fucking Barnum.

They are just keeping butts in seats.

Showmanship. All of it.

"There's a sucker born every minute"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:08 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 21193
Stinky wrote:
Wag the dog baby.

The intrigue gives the Toronto Sports Network something to talk about all summer.

This is a fucking sideshow.

It's J.P. fucking Barnum.

They are just keeping butts in seats.

Showmanship. All of it.

"There's a sucker born every minute"


If they had signed Kawhi you'd be a Leafs fan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:26 pm 
Offline
King of the One-Liner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 pm
Posts: 5037
Location: Too deep in crease.
Pokecheque wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
He is worth ten million max, specially if five years.

I have no access to anything credible so most of what I hear is crazy out of touch with reality homer Leaf fans...it does not require repeating. lol

The problem is he is worth what Point and Rantanan are worth and maybe just a bit more than Aho. He is also almost worth what Matthews is but that was a mistake so too bad.

Should have made Nylander sit last year.


I don't think the Matthews deal was a mistake. The Leafs had ZERO leverage there. Auston is the best player they've had in at least one generation, maybe two, he had their balls in a vise and got exactly the deal he wanted. Marner's camp can say he's just as good as Matthews (and they might be right) but at the end of the day, one guy is a winger, the other is a center. No matter how good the wide receiver is, he knows he's not gonna get the same coin as the star quarterback.

But yeah, Nylander should've sat, and I think Dubas knows the Leafs screwed up there.


If Matthews got that money over 7-8 yrs I don't mind, But with only 5 yrs on a guys I don't really think wants to be in Canada I think it stinks. If your going to expose yourself to him walking in two less years than the comparable other signings(Eichel and McDavid) he should get less. Dubas had leverage to say get an offer sheet we may or may not match or sit and get nothing but he caved.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:45 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 21193
Hounsy wrote:
If Matthews got that money over 7-8 yrs I don't mind, But with only 5 yrs on a guys I don't really think wants to be in Canada I think it stinks. If your going to expose yourself to him walking in two less years than the comparable other signings(Eichel and McDavid) he should get less. Dubas had leverage to say get an offer sheet we may or may not match or sit and get nothing but he caved.


Different circumstances. There's a new TV deal to be negotiated (where the cap is expected to rise substantially) a new CBA and likely another lockout happening soon, and frankly, I think all star players look at the McDavid contract and realized that was a mistake. He won't say it out loud, but he wants out. Players and their agents are now seeing the wisdom of shorter-term deals when before they were fine with max term.

And Dubas had no leverage. Matthews is way, way, way too important. If he even risked an offer sheet he'd be pilloried. Marner is not as important, so they can afford to play a little hardball, but not AM34.

The players as a whole are pushing the market to new extremes, it's really just bad timing and bad luck for Dubas and the Leafs that their "Big Three" all opted to do so now.

It looks like there's been some discussion behind closed doors. The RFAs are presenting a bit of a united front right now. Once the Marner deal is signed it'll be a watershed event, but everyone's waiting on him.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:15 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 7286
Stinky wrote:
Wag the dog baby.

The intrigue gives the Toronto Sports Network something to talk about all summer.

This is a fucking sideshow.

It's J.P. fucking Barnum.

They are just keeping butts in seats.

Showmanship. All of it.

"There's a sucker born every minute"


J.P. Barnum??? :wtf:

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group