OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:51 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/col-vs-t ... te=preview

Bolts look to build on their good start, Avs look to redeem themselves after a really poor outing against the Caps the other night.

The biggest and most glaring flaw the Avs have so far is their penalty kill, which right now ranks 29th in the league. The good news is, the 30th-ranked PK belongs to the Chicago Blackhawks. It's a mix of stupid and ill-timed penalties, somewhat inconsistent goaltending (though Varly was stellar the other night), and bad positioning on the PK itself. It could be an adjustment issue--Bednar is employing a very aggressive PK system that looks great the few times it works, but it's a far, far cry from the standard box/shot-blocking system employed by Roy. And there have been times guys have been too slow to get to wide open shooters. Obviously it would be nice if current Avs Fuck-Up Blake Comeau was actually out there to help kill penalties instead of being the guy committing them. This team needs Mikko Rantanen to get back into the lineup in the worst way.

Not sure what the lineup is gonna be, I read somewhere that Rene Bourque will sit, but I believe the D will stay the same (sorry, Gelinas).

Avs fancy stats have not looked great thus far but it is of course a small sample size this early in the year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:50 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Avs get outshot fairly badly but still win 4-0. After a rather sluggish start, Matty Duchene scores his first two goals of the season. Andreas Martinsen (50% of the Norwegian contingent in the NHL) and Carl Soderberg with the other two tallies.

Getting interviewed after posting a shutout, Varly basically said despite the heavy shot total it sure beat getting shelled with 40 like he used to get. :lol:

Duchene used the word "structure" in his postgame interview, something I keep hearing a lot from the players these days. I may be reading too much into it but that seems very telling to me.

Avs are Sunrise-bound next. They are guaranteed to finish this four-game road trip at .500. Not bad considering they're taking on three elite clubs and one up-and-comer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:02 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

literal lol at 'Stralman Argument'. Well played.