OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:40 pm 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 10456
Location: 'Real City
Only nine regulation losses after 47 games. A +58 goal differential in that time.

Kucherov is the league's point leader. Point and Stamkos also in the top 20. Vasilevskiy is dominant.

They're running away with things in the regular season, and I think they're well set up for the playoffs.

_________________
Image


Last edited by E.L. on Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:34 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9640
Kucherov is amazing to watch. How many guys need as little time as he does with the puck to turn something into a scoring chance or a goal, outside of Ovechkin's one-timer(which Ovechkin needs someone else to set up. Kucherov sets up others with just a touch)? It just looks so damn easy for him. Used to look like that for Getzlaf as well.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:01 am 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 21341
You jinxed 'em, Erik.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:12 am 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9640
Kucherov with 115 now in 71 games. Could hit 130 which would be the most since Lemieux in 95-96 but nobody is touching 69-92-161 unless there are radical changes in the game.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:51 pm 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 10456
Location: 'Real City
I kinda crapped on McDonough after they acquired him last season and then handed him an extension, but I'll admit he looks like himself again.

Now to figure out a way to get out of the Palat and Gourde deals.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:07 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9640
E.L. wrote:
I kinda crapped on McDonough after they acquired him last season and then handed him an extension, but I'll admit he looks like himself again.

Now to figure out a way to get out of the Palat and Gourde deals.


I really thought they needed to move Killorn last offseason after he had a resurgence.

They'll need to see what they can do this offseason to unload Callahan's final year on someonelike they did with Filppula. Ottawa would be a good candidate as his actual salary is about a mil less than the cap hit, but:

Quote:
CLAUSE DETAILS: Player submits a 16 team trade list


https://www.capfriendly.com/players/ryan-callahan

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:15 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 21341
Don't think they'll have an issue dumping Palat or Gourde. Both of them are good players.

Callahan will probably be one of those deals where someone with cap space to weaponize can extract something of value in exchange for taking on the contract. Not sure if Chayka and the Coyotes are done with those kinds of deals but the Sens are obviously gonna tank it at least one more season, I'm sure Dorion will be on the lookout for deals like that. The Avs should have plenty of cap space to take that kind of stuff on as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:31 pm 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 10456
Location: 'Real City
Whoops. Guess they were too good this season.

What now?

They've got about 7-10M in cap space and need to re-sign Brayden Point, who could be a 9M guy if not more.

They have only four defencemen under contract, although they are good ones: Hed, McDo, Cernak, Sergachev.

They have one more year of Callahan's horrible deal. Unfortunately for them he's always healthy enough to play and not go on LTIR.

Johnson, Palat, Gourde and Miller all make 5M+ on crazy long-term deals. Not sure any of them are 5M players. Same could be said for Killorn, who makes 4.5M. Miller the obvious guy to go seeing as he was a scratch in the playoffs and more or less a gift from the Rangers.

They have one more year of Vasilevsky before he needs to be paid.

Stevie Y is gone.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:30 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 21341
Certainly not the first nor will it be the last time the NHL's best regular season team faceplanted in the playoffs, but this is definitely the biggest choke-job of them all.

The worst thing BriseBois can do is panic like other extremely talented teams (Capitals, Blues, Sabres, Flyers) and try and chase the white whale known as "toughness." I can't imagine he'll do that.

Shouldn't be hard to find a taker for Callahan's final year, but there'll have to be some incentive (pick or mid-tier player/prospect) thrown in.

The choices get a little harder with guys like Palat, Miller, Johnson etc. I've always loved J.T. as a player, if a team somehow agrees to also take on Callahan as part of the deal then they might not have to give up as much.

That defense might be getting an overhaul, and it kinda needs one. Stralman ended up being a bad bet--very good player but simply got too banged up too often. And then for some reason Yzerman lost his mind and thought Girardi was a good signing, making a blueline corps that was kinda slow even slower. Coburn only stays if he takes a massive discount.

I suppose they can make a run at Karlsson...but don't they need to clear off even more cap room then?

Is there any concern about Hedman's durability going forward? This is the second year in a row he missed major time due to injury, and was clearly not ready to play this postseason.

Cooper is one of the best coaches in the league, but he's rightfully getting flack for not sitting Vasilevskiy down the stretch. Once the Prez was secured Domingue should have gotten a majority of the starts.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:06 pm 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 10456
Location: 'Real City
Coburn takes a paycut to stay in TBay for two more years.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:55 pm 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 10456
Location: 'Real City
Stanley Cup hero Patrick Maroon signs a sweetheart one-year deal to try for another Cup in TBay.

I'm glad he got a big goal because it was clear the pressure of playing in his hometown affected Maroon during his time in St. Louis.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:09 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 21341
E.L. wrote:
Stanley Cup hero Patrick Maroon signs a sweetheart one-year deal to try for another Cup in TBay.

I'm glad he got a big goal because it was clear the pressure of playing in his hometown affected Maroon during his time in St. Louis.


He really isn't much more than a 4th liner at this point anyway. The only time he saw scoring line minutes regularly IIRC was when he was alongside elite talents like Perry/Getzlaf or McDavid/Draisaitl. He was also never gonna see a ton of ice time with all the depth St. Loo had. Their 4th line was a 4th line in name only. Their ice time at certain points actually exceeded that of Ryan O'Reilly.

Certainly don't blame them for signing him though, what have they got to lose? Tampa is one of those teams that actually isn't nearly as fast as you'd think an elite team is, so he's a better fit there than he'd be with other top teams.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:48 pm 
Offline
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:40 pm
Posts: 2445
Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Stanley Cup hero Patrick Maroon signs a sweetheart one-year deal to try for another Cup in TBay.

I'm glad he got a big goal because it was clear the pressure of playing in his hometown affected Maroon during his time in St. Louis.
He really isn't much more than a 4th liner at this point anyway. The only time he saw scoring line minutes regularly IIRC was when he was alongside elite talents like Perry/Getzlaf or McDavid/Draisaitl. He was also never gonna see a ton of ice time with all the depth St. Loo had. Their 4th line was a 4th line in name only. Their ice time at certain points actually exceeded that of Ryan O'Reilly.

Certainly don't blame them for signing him though, what have they got to lose? Tampa is one of those teams that actually isn't nearly as fast as you'd think an elite team is, so he's a better fit there than he'd be with other top teams.
Is this the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning for Tampa? Seems to me that Maroon was more of a "heart" signing, which would indicate they need more of it but who knows, maybe it just comes down to roster management. It's hard to dominate that long with that degree of talent and come up so flat. They could win the President's trophy again or just miss the playoffs. Either way, Coop must be on the hot seat.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:42 am 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 21341
Logical Progression wrote:
Is this the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning for Tampa? Seems to me that Maroon was more of a "heart" signing, which would indicate they need more of it but who knows, maybe it just comes down to roster management. It's hard to dominate that long with that degree of talent and come up so flat. They could win the President's trophy again or just miss the playoffs. Either way, Coop must be on the hot seat.


Hard to say. I would say their window is officially beginning to close now that they no longer have any core players on ELCs and Brayden Point is up for a huge raise. Stamkos is on the verge of 30, Kucherov is 26, Hedman 28, Vasilevskiy 25. The good news for them is that Point is still ridiculously young at 23, and they somehow keep finding astoundingly good talent (like Point) in later rounds. I think they have 2 years before we start seeing Stamkos hit his decline, then I think they might be in a bit of trouble. Also by then they'll have to start jettisoning more and more talent on the fringes because the core players are getting too expensive. If they don't win a Cup in the next 2-3 years, I can't help but think they won't with the current core.

Cooper probably is on the hot seat, yeah. Come next year at least a couple decent candidates will be on the market, and if they have another disappointing finish BriseBois may opt to move in a different direction, though I think he signed a relatively cheap extension, so he has that going for him.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group