OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:42 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/previe ... sb:preview

The Avs have had a relatively "soft" schedule (sorry, Montreal) up until this point. If you're a rah-rah Avs fan like many, you're buying into the "Why Not Us" thing that's trending on Twitter and showing up on signs at the Pepsi Center. If you're a cynical Avs fan like me, you're worried as all hell about this game. This could be the one where they get exposed, where they finally get just plain humiliated for the first time this season. St. Louis has the type of personnel and system that could completely shut down the Avs speed game, and I think on the road Roy has a much harder time sheltering his weaker defensive players.

You could say the Avs kinda/sorta got exposed the other night in Carolina. The Canes used their own speed to clog it up and utilized a transition game to control the puck more often than not.

As I've said before, I'll enjoy this ride for as long as it lasts. This is still a rebuilding team going up against a real Cup contender. Hopefully we catch Halak on an off night.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:54 pm 

Interesting--Roy moves MacKinnon back to the wing on Stastny's line.

One of the drawbacks is that it makes for two pretty decent scoring lines, but leaves the bottom six a bit bereft of scoring punch. The loss of Tanguay is really, really hurting right now. I think Roy got a little frustrated seeing MacKinnon firing it at the net from all angles in the Carolina game with no one able to put in the rebound.

On a side note, Jamie McGinn is a hard player to figure out. On some nights he's exactly the crash-the-net type forward you need, on others he's little more than a 4th line scrub.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:38 pm 

Wow, the Blues are setting picks all OVER the place but are disguising it well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:37 pm 

Wow, this game got ugly FAST. Avs finally getting a true whooping for the first time this season.

Just a harsh, harsh reminder that the rebuild is far from over. Also a terrible reminder that Nick Holden is not an NHL defenseman. Oh well...the worm may be turning in Denver. But we should have expected this.

And though I have been one of his most ardent defenders, I think I'm jumping on the "Enough With Johnny Malkin" Bandwagon.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:49 am 

7-3 final. Roy looking like a rookie coach, switching from Jiggy to Varly back to Jiggy again.

And of course, Chris Stewart scores on the rebound created by Kevin Shattenkirk's shot. That trade definitely not looking good tonight.

First losing streak of the season. Hey, didn't think it'd take this long to have one of those, so I'm still in good spirits.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:37 pm 

Adding insult to injury, Chris Stewart did something to really piss off the Avs after beating down Cory Sarich in a fight.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 3336,d.b2I

I'd say there's still some real bad blood between Stewie and the organization. The two certainly didn't part on good terms.