OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: So, what now?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:41 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

No one ever talks about this team, and there's probably a decent reason for that. They play in the toughest division in the NHL and compete with Columbus for the team that's not really as bad as they place every season.

I saw an interesting stat... St. Louis was a top 10 team in even strength goals and the PP last year, the only team in both groups that didn't make the playoffs. Halak had a down year for this team... is it as simple as Halak gets back to being a top 10 goalie and they make the playoffs? Could be, but it's a young D that's in front of him as well.

With Columbus going all in this year, getting to the playoffs will be tougher. Though teams like St. Lou might be able to take a couple more points off of Detroit next year, which might make up for it.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

Post subject: Re: So, what now?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:15 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

And on top of everything else, they're probably going to start the season without David Perron, who is their best player (apart from Pietrangelo). St. Loo has the depth to get by without him, but WITH him in the lineup I think they're a force. And that's what they need to be if they have a hope of making headway in this super-tough division.

Oh...and as my fantasy team's collapse after the first couple months of the season can attest, Halak does indeed need to get his shit straight this year.

Davis Payne is definitely on the hot seat if he does not deliver with a team this talented. But it seems unfair to label the coach as the only problem. Despite a very talented cast...something just seems off about this team. Is it the overabundance of centers? Is it the fact the T.J. Oshie is a bit of a headcase? Is it that David Backes is a tad overrated? Not sure, but something just doesn't seem right with this club. Yes, they got way banged-up down the stretch, but I just can't help but think they need to make one more big trade before they're ready for prime time.

Something tells me this time Armstrong will not try to fill roster spots with players from European leagues if the need should arise. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:07 am 

Ugh...David Backes named the new captain.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=375473

Langenbrunner, Jackman, McDonald, and Steen get the A's.

Maybe that's the problem with this squad. Plenty of talent, not a whole lot of leadership.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:23 pm 

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5959 ... hl-rxl-twt

McDonald sent home on account of a concussion, caused by his own teammates.

Quote:
McDonald threw a puck towards the Stars' goal at the second-period horn, which ultimately resulted in a scrum with several players involved, including McDonald. He initially was bumped from behind by teammate Nikita Nikitin before teammate David Backes caught McDonald with a shot to the chin while trying to defend McDonald from the Stars' Adam Burish. McDonald then took a shot to the head from the Stars' Vernon Fiddler and was attended to before skating off the ice under his own power.

Great job, Captain.

I thought the NHL was trying to eliminate these stupid scrums in front of the net?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:34 pm 

It should be noted that the Blues currently give up the fewest shots on goal, yet rank 23rd in goals-against.

It's been over a year now and things could still change, but those who thought Gauthier should've gotten more in return for Halak should probably shut up.

Have fun with Brian Elliott, Armstrong. :haha:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:36 pm 

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_d ... um=twitter

Yeah...the Blues are screwed if they think they can keep going w/Elliott. Any goalie can get hot--just ask Peter Budaj. Eventually though, their many flaws are meted out in time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:02 pm 

Well, guess the Blues made me eat crow on Elliott...for now.

Anyway, I suppose Hitch is trying to avoid the contract extension jinx that nailed him in Philly and Columbus--he signs just a 1-year extension with a mutual option for a 2nd.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:47 am 

Seriously? This team has the lowest payroll in the National Hockey League? That's crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:59 pm 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... --nhl.html

Danny Briere as part of a package for Kevin Shattenkirk!? I do hope Armstrong isn't that stupid.

The debate rages on over at HF as to whether or not the Avs made a mistake in trading Shattenkirk and Stewart for Johnson (and McClement, but he's gone now) along with a swap of picks that had them take Ty Rattie in the 2nd round and the Avs take Duncan Siemens.

On the surface, it looks like the Avs got a guy who still has a legitimate shot at being a #1 defenseman. No, it's clear now he'll never be among the Webers and Doughtys of the world, but he still looks like the kind of guy you can build around. I've maintained that Vancouver's blueprint is the one the Avs should follow--put together enough really good guys, and you don't necessarily need a Norris contender.

However, Shattenkirk is still developing, and while he's definitely not a #1, there can be no doubt he's one of the best offensive defenders in the league right now. The Avs probably felt comfortable enough to deal him because they felt they had enough in the system (Elliott, Barrie) to offset his loss. Nevertheless, they gave up a solid puckmoving blueliner and an enigmatic, but talented power forward (something they desperately need right now) for a guy who MIGHT be a great defenseman. Personally, I think Johnson will be little more than a more offensively-talented Dan Hamhuis, which is not meant as a diss, but I think people overrate his potential. If he were going to be a #1 guy, St. Louis never would have let him go to begin with. I still think we got good value in the trade, but oh man, I think the price was a little too high.

And if Rattie turns out to be a star...oy vey.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:17 pm 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... um=twitter

I still think St. Louis needs a top-flight center. The guys they can put at the pivot range from adequate to very good, no one's great though. I also think they could use one more surefire top-4 guy on D.

Oh...and better/more durable goaltending would help.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:24 pm 

Down a goal tonight against the Kings, Hitch goes for broke and rolls out a power play-like lineup at even strength:

Perron - Schwartz - Tarasenko

Pietrangelo - Shattenkirk

It worked.

Still think Armstrong needs a star center. Probably should wait until the cap goes up so that the market improves, or things go south in Anaheim and they decide to dismantle.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:26 am 

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419471

Decent pickup--the Blues get Jordan Leopold for a coup,e picks, and possibly get a guy who can fill in as a top pairing guy alongside Pietrangelo.

Y'know, I'm surprised the Blues' possession #s aren't better than they are, and maybe that's the problem. I don't think Leopold is the solution to that issue, but he's better than Jackman.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:43 am 

Why aren't there big time Luongo to the Blues rumours? They definitely have the chips to make the move, and they definitely could use a consistent .920+ SV% goalie.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:04 am 

saskhab wrote:
Why aren't there big time Luongo to the Blues rumours? They definitely have the chips to make the move, and they definitely could use a consistent .920+ SV% goalie.

Didn't you answer this question when I posed it earlier?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:15 am 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:

Haven't you said before that that's any goaltender under Ken Hitchcock?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:47 am 

Bosc wrote:
saskhab wrote:

Haven't you said before that that's any goaltender under Ken Hitchcock?

In Hitch's first year. His voodoo seems to fail afterwards pretty consistently. Hitch even had Eddie fall apart under him eventually.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:09 am 

saskhab wrote:
Also an upgrade of Halak to Luongo isn't massive. It exists, but there isn't huge pressure to make it happen.

You think the pressure is there now?

Blues better watch themselves. They have the league's lowest payroll, but still have to re-sign three star players this offseason, just traded for a $6-million dollar defender, and the cap's going down.

Hitch only signed a 1-year deal this season, right? Can't help but think one way or another, 2013-14 will be his last.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:07 am 

Suppose there's no need for another thread even though this one was created last year.

Things look really, really good for the Blues going into this offseason, but Armstrong & Co. could very well screw this up. Paul Holmgren is just chomping at the bit to offer sheet away one of Pietrangelo/Shattenkirk, and he likely isn't the only one. Both need to be signed, and quickly.

That said, do you sign Chris Stewart long-term? Kid's got talent and size, and is a scoring force when he's on his game. Thing is, he's capable of disappearing for long stretches, and pretty lax when it comes to defense. Still...this team shouldn't be shedding their leading scorer when they were one of the league's lower-scoring teams.

Bottom line, something's got to be done about the goaltending. There's simply no excuse for how bad it was.

I read somewhere that David Perron has fallen out of favor in St. Loo. Could we see a deal involving Perron and Ryan Miller?

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:03 am 

Bobby Luo or Miller? Miller definitely has the more appetizing contract. Fuck, if Perron is available, I know it's cliché, but the Habs should get in on that. But after the Jay-Bo deal, a simple picks/prospects for Miller deal might not be feasible.

Hmm... Andy Mac is 35 now and just went 0 for the playoffs in scoring. 21 points in 43 games this year after 32 in 34 last year, 50 in 58 the year before and 57 in 79 the year before that. This is a player they might be willing to walk from because they aren't sure what he has left in the tank as he hits his golden years.

A lot of key RFAs, holy shit. Pietrangelo, Stewart, Shattenkirk, Berglund, Cole, Russell. The payroll in St. Lou be going up this next year. $23m to work with in cap space to get these guys back before possibly looking at a Miller/Luongo acquisition. Halak would have to go back in either deal obviously (1 year left, $3.75m).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:30 pm 

And here we are again.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/st-lo ... -collapse/

That was one holy-shit-did-you-see-that collapse. Looked like it started in that game against the Avs where Hitch made his infamous "debris" comments afterwards.

DGB cautions Armstrong against hitting the panic button like the Capitals did following 2010. But there's definite uncertainty surrounding this team, especially between the pipes. The Miller acquisition failed to right the ship. It doesn't seem like STL should be making a long-term commitment.

Armstrong didn't do much to impress me as a GM before...can't help but think he's gonna screw up a plum situation here somehow.

Didn't the Blues panic before and pretty much decimate a 1999 Presidents Trophy-winning club just because they got embarrassed in the firsr round by SJ? Pleau went and got Weight and Tkachuk, but then decided to stick with Roman frickin' Turek in net.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next