OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:52 pm 
Big in Japan

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/joe-thornt ... 1295.html/

Should be an automatic Hall of Famer, much to the chagrin of East Coast media types.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:10 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Well earned Joe. I never used to like Jumbo, always thought he was soft, but he's kind of grown (hairs) on me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:55 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Logical Progression wrote:
Well earned Joe. I never used to like Jumbo, always thought he was soft, but he's kind of grown (hairs) on me.

Kinda funny because if he played like the snarling beast the Bruins wanted him to be I guarantee he wouldn't be a 1,000 assist guy. His longevity can be attributable to that and the fact that his game really isn't predicated on speed either.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:58 am 
Big in Japan

I don't think he needs a Cup to prove he's one of the best playmakers to ever play the game, but I hope he wins one just to shut everyone up. (That and the Sharks deserve one.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:57 am 

Pokecheque wrote:

Kinda funny because if he played like the snarling beast the Bruins wanted him to be I guarantee he wouldn't be a 1,000 assist guy. His longevity can be attributable to that and the fact that his game really isn't predicated on speed either.

Bad science Av, correlation doesn't necessarily equal causation. Exhibit one and two, Gordie Howe and Mark Messier seemed to have pretty long careers despite a top end physical game.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:44 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Fogghorn wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Bad science Av, correlation doesn't necessarily equal causation. Exhibit one and two, Gordie Howe and Mark Messier seemed to have pretty long careers despite a top end physical game.

Good point, but aren't those guys kinda outliers? I know they're not all Cam Neely, but they're not always Howe/Messier either.

Some players actually change their game in light of injuries. Adam Foote started out the quintessential physical defenseman, but after multiple shoulder surgeries decided to play a different type of game.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:01 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Good point, but aren't those guys kinda outliers? I know they're not all Cam Neely, but they're not always Howe/Messier either.

Some players actually change their game in light of injuries. Adam Foote started out the quintessential physical defenseman, but after multiple shoulder surgeries decided to play a different type of game.

They might be outliers (could add Scott Stevens and Chris Chelios and probably a lot of others to the list), or it may just be genetics and that some players are able to keep on trucking into late 30's and 40's regardless of playing style. I suspect there is correlation between how they play and longevity but unless someone was compiling an awful lot of player data on size vs playing style vs longevity we really wouldn't know how significant it really is.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:10 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Logical Progression wrote:

Jumbo Joe used to get the odd 1-game suspension for crossing the line when he was in Boston. He wasn't some patsy but a bunch of Bruins fans/media seem to think everyone should be Cam Neely. Apparently it was a fight against Lindros where Eric broke Thornton's face where he lost some of that physical edge.

I didn't like Thornton for a number of years in San Jose because of some shit he pulled in the playoffs against the Wings. Acting tough after the whistle, stickwork and whining. However, that rivalry has kind of died and I don't really care anymore and I like him a lot more again.