OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:40 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/previe ... sb:preview

Avs and Sharks meet up for the first time this season. No lineup changes for Colorado.

Would've liked to have seen a "battle of the rookies" that the NHL likes to hype so much these days, but alas, Hertl is hert.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:48 am 

Shit.

Avs score two in quick succession in the closing minutes of the 3rd to go up by one, then blow the lead in the final minute. Fucking Pavelski. And then we lose in the shootout.

The good news: Avs storm back in the 3rd in both this game and the LA game after completely crapping the bed in the 2nd. The bad news: They crapped the bed in the 2nd.

If I'm using a little more invective than usual there's a reason for it. Happy, yes, but even against two dominant teams, these were both winnable games. Also, Roy was IMO overly conservative in OT both times. This team was actually quite good in OT the few times it came down to that so far this season. It's not an accident. Avs have the speed, talent, and depth to ice plenty of firepower in 4-on-4 hockey. If I'm Roy, I say to hell with taking it to the shootout and go balls out in OT.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:47 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

I watched from the beginning of the 3rd through the end. That was one hell of an entertaining hockey game! Sharks were unloading on them in that OT, couldn't believe they didn't score. The shootout was really anti-climactic.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:42 pm 

hammer wrote:
I watched from the beginning of the 3rd through the end. That was one hell of an entertaining hockey game! Sharks were unloading on them in that OT, couldn't believe they didn't score. The shootout was really anti-climactic.

Agreed.

Burns is an effin' beast. Avs had no answer whatsoever for the Burns-Thornton-Pavelski line. In fact I think it may have screwed us worse having Hertl out since it put a bona fide Avs killer on that top line. And of course it was Thornton feeding it to Pavelski that resulted in the game-tying goal.

Avs have a pretty mean top line of their own, but what they need is a great shutdown line. That's the one drawback of using your two best shutdown players (Landeskog and O'Reilly) in a more offensive fashion.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:25 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Av-merican wrote:
hammer wrote:

Agreed.

Burns is an effin' beast. Avs had no answer whatsoever for the Burns-Thornton-Pavelski line. In fact I think it may have screwed us worse having Hertl out since it put a bona fide Avs killer on that top line. And of course it was Thornton feeding it to Pavelski that resulted in the game-tying goal.

Avs have a pretty mean top line of their own, but what they need is a great shutdown line. That's the one drawback of using your two best shutdown players (Landeskog and O'Reilly) in a more offensive fashion.

Ya Pavelski is a great fit on that line, if they keep them together it should be lethal.