OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hertl wood thread!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:09 am 
2 Legit 2 Quit

It's been a while since a rookie forward had a shot at making this team or since any rookie had expectations of contributing.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=683625

With 3 goals and 4 points he's making a good case to make the team and possibly land himself a spot on the 1st line with Thornton and Burns.

Last edited by hammer on Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Hertl wood thread?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:08 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Raffi Torres out 3-5 months with an ACL tear. His chances just jumped considerably.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:19 am 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Hertl looked good from what I saw last night. Looked very composed, picked up an assist and played physical. He crushed Tanev at one point. The JT-BB-Hertl line looked great from what I saw and Hertl saw lots of 2nd unit powerplay time. Been a while since the Sharks had an impact rookie, hopefully he keeps this up!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:10 am 
Big in Japan

4 goals for Hertl, including this beaut

Time for wood. You're just mad there's no clock in your hat.

Post subject: Re: Hertl wood thread!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:21 am 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Question mark in thread title changed to exclamation point. What a game for the kid! 2 'just go to the net' goals and 2 highlight reel, including that 4th goal that I'm sure will be replayed all year.

He took a good hit early in the game and was unfazed, hopefully he keeps his head up as I'm sure he'll be getting a lot more attention.

Great for the Sharks to pull out an impact rookie, their prospect cupboard has looked bare for years. Nieto also looked good.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:02 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

We've got about a month to keep calling him Teenage Mutant Ninja Hertl before he turns 20, so get that in as many times as you can.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:54 pm 
OTP Clown

LOL!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:22 pm 
Too sexy for his pads

I would have lost my shit if he tried that between the legs crap in a 7-2 game. He would have received a decent hack to the legs! Talk about rubbing salt in the wound.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:28 pm 
OTP Historian

HOLLYWOOD35 wrote:
I would have lost my shit if he tried that between the legs crap in a 7-2 game. He would have received a decent hack to the legs! Talk about rubbing salt in the wound.

I was thinking that most goalies wouldn't appreciate getting scored on like that in a blowout game. But on the other side, guys aren't going to take the risk of doing something like that in a close game.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:30 pm 

Plus, I'd be pretty pissed at my D for giving the kid 3 clean breakaways in the game.

Also, it's the Rangers. They have piles of money to keep them comfort when their pride is hurt.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:38 pm 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
Plus, I'd be pretty pissed at my D for giving the kid 3 clean breakaways in the game.

Also, it's the Rangers. They have piles of money to keep them comfort when their pride is hurt.

Yup.

I love creativity in the game, but as a goalie it's really annoying to get scored on like that in blowout games. It's not fun to get blown out to begin with and it feels worse when you have a guy doing that and scoring on it. I had a guy score on me with a goofy move in a blowout once in men's league. My buddy from work steamrolled the guy in the slot with a clean hit on the next shift and said to him: "Hey, you know you had that one coming". The refs didn't call a penalty.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:42 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Bosc wrote:
saskhab wrote:

Yup.

I love creativity in the game, but as a goalie it's really annoying to get scored on like that in blowout games. It's not fun to get blown out to begin with and it feels worse when you have a guy doing that and scoring on it. I had a guy score on me with a goofy move in a blowout once in men's league. My buddy from work steamrolled the guy in the slot with a clean hit on the next shift and said to him: "Hey, you know you had that one coming". The refs didn't call a penalty.

Ya my 2nd reaction to that move (first reaction was out loud laughter that got a wtf look from my dog) was I hope Hertl knows how to keep his head up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:14 pm 
King of the One-Liner

With all the money involved now I don't mind scores being run up as it is just business as points and goal totals are pure equity now. That said the kid and Thorton for that matter need to tone down the celebration when you make it 8-2, old school me doesn't like that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:29 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

After a 4 goal lead you tone down the celebrations. It's pretty obvious the other team isn't really in the game. If you don't, expect to get run over. Same with scoring on trick shots.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:59 am 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
With all the money involved now I don't mind scores being run up as it is just business as points and goal totals are pure equity now. That said the kid and Thorton for that matter need to tone down the celebration when you make it 8-2, old school me doesn't like that.

Yup, agreed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:46 pm 

I don't remember Calgary being all that pissed when the Sedins went Globetrotters on them in Game 82 a couple years back.

What goes around, comes around for Vaigneault's teams.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:04 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

saskhab wrote:
I don't remember Calgary being all that pissed when the Sedins went Globetrotters on them in Game 82 a couple years back.

What goes around, comes around for Vaigneault's teams.

Plus, the guy's mom and girlfriend were in the crowd all the way from Czech Republic! He had to put on a show. I'd post a pic of the girlfriend but given that he's 19 I'm worried she might be jailbait.

The Rangers deserved to get humiliated, they were pathetic (though I did feel bad for Biron). However that was a little much so I do hope Hertl can tone it down without getting his spirit crushed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:07 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Still awesome that Hertl's mom was spotted in the crowd sporting a Marleau jersey. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:14 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Still awesome that Hertl's mom was spotted in the crowd sporting a Marleau jersey. :lol:

It was a #12 Sharks jersey, but it was likely this one:

http://cdn1-www.hockeysfuture.com/asset ... tl_sjs.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:23 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

HA! Joe Thornton has some strong feelings about the Hertl showboating controversy!

Quote:
Did Tomas Hertl's fourth goal go too far? According to Joe, it didn't go too far enough.

After Tomas Hertl scored his goal of the year with a between-the-legs shot, some stuffed-shirt hockey idiots got all up in arms about how disrespectful the whole thing was. Fear the Fin tipped us off to this incredible quote by Joe Thornton, as reported by The Province:

Hearing a question to Marleau about Hertl and whether he was showboating, Thornton said:
"Shut up, have you ever played the game?"
When the press turned his way, he then added:
"I'd have my cock out if I scored four goals. I'd have my cock out, stroking it."

Joe Thornton: a man of simple pleasures. And unbelievable indecency.

Note to hockey: GIVE THORNTON THE PUCK.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2013/10/10/4824950/joe-thornton-tomas-hertl-quote-four-goals