OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:58 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Fogghorn wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
You'll have to explain this one to me--my hockey history gets a bit foggy pre-1995. :lol:

I had assumed you played hockey since you were a kid and thus always followed it. Did you just start playing hockey after the Nordiques relocated as well?

Oh I played starting at the unripe age of 5, which would've been 1982 thereabouts. But hockey was way hard to follow if you didn't have cable, and so anything that wasn't Edmonton-related back then didn't make the regular news broadcasts. Admittedly I've had NO excuses not to brush up on my hockey history since then--one of my hockey friends even gave me a beautiful hardbound book about the NHL with Gretzky on the cover a long, long time ago--but some things like the Dionne-era Kings and Perreault-era Sabres are areas I where I am completely in the dark.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:25 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Av-merican wrote:
Oh Lordy...it's gotten THAT desperate in Silicon Valley:

http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci_22 ... t-burns-at

Burns playing forward on the third line because they simply have no one else to do it.

I like Burns, but I have to think it would be better to have Seto or Coyle as a 3rd line winger. Not cool!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:17 pm 

hammer wrote:
I like Burns, but I have to think it would be better to have Seto or Coyle as a 3rd line winger. Not cool!

You'd think so, right? I have a feeling Wilson is not long for SJ. Hopefully they don't pull him off a plane or something.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:45 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Av-merican wrote:
saskhab wrote:
The Sharks are very much the modern day edition of the 1970s Sabres, aren't they?

You'll have to explain this one to me--my hockey history gets a bit foggy pre-1995. :lol:

I know the Sabres had the French Connection back then along with Danny Gare. Beyond that I haven't a clue.

They were always a top regular season club and a contender for several years. They played Philly for the Cup one year as well. As you mentioned, they had one of the most dangerous top lines in hockey, much like the Sharks have always had, and they had several other pieces that one would need for a championship, it just never happened.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:03 am 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Av-merican wrote:
hammer wrote:

You'd think so, right? I have a feeling Wilson is not long for SJ. Hopefully they don't pull him off a plane or something.

I didn't see the whole game but from what I saw Burns played well, scored a goal and got moved up to the top line! The post-game show guys were raving about him. He used to play some forward in Minnesota, maybe he's going to turn into a Bfyuglien type.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:17 pm 

hammer wrote:
I didn't see the whole game but from what I saw Burns played well, scored a goal and got moved up to the top line! The post-game show guys were raving about him. He used to play some forward in Minnesota, maybe he's going to turn into a Bfyuglien type.

Yeah, from what I saw he looked good. Too bad no one else did.

That'd be awesome to see more "rover" type players in the NHL. Thing is, from what I hear, pairing Vlasic with Boyle is actually hurting Vlasic since he has to keep covering for Boyle, whereas with Burns he's more free to show some offensive upside since he knows Burns is more reliable defensively.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:55 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Uggh Niemi was absolutely hung out to dry last night. Sharks finally get some secondary scoring and they can't capitalize. That shit is whack! They made a good effort to fight back in the third, we'll see if that can carry over to the re-match vs. the Ducks tomorrow. Otherwise at least the trade deadline will be exciting! DW has a very mixed record as a deadline buyer, we'll see how he does as a deadline seller.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:31 am 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Danny Boyle looking like his old self last night!

That's 6 in a row for the Sharks now, who have the best home record in the league @ 13-1-4.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:53 am 

That also may have been the best game TJ Galiardi has played in well over two seasons.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:15 pm 

Logan Couture re-signs for 5 years and $30 million.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:32 pm 

Pavelski signs for 5 years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 49897.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:23 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Sharks remain unbeaten in regulation thanks to this nice pad save...

And they somewhat inexplicably trade a 4th rounder to the Oil for Mike Brown. If they want a fighter why not keep Pelech up? He can play a bit and fill in on D if necessary. Maybe they need him in Worcester.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:24 pm 

Apparently Mike Brown can skate? I thought that's what the Sharks were saying about him regarding the trade. That, and as Sask pointed out on Twitter, dude can grow an EXCELLENT Movember mustache.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:15 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

James Sheppard sighting! With Burns and Nieto out Sheppard got a look on a line with JT and Hertl. 1g, 1a and 5 SOG. I'm sure most Sharks fans have no idea that Sheppard was at one point a legit offensive prospect. Nice to see him producing, he probably should keep that spot over Nieto until Burns comes back.

He has looked good on the 4th line this year too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:27 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Havlat back in the lineup tonight. I pretty much forgot he was on the team, and liked it that way. Sounds like he probably slots into the 3rd line with Pavelski and Wingels, could be a pretty potent 3rd line if Havlat brings the effort.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:20 am 

hammer wrote:
Havlat back in the lineup tonight. I pretty much forgot he was on the team, and liked it that way. Sounds like he probably slots into the 3rd line with Pavelski and Wingels, could be a pretty potent 3rd line if Havlat brings the effort.

Decent power play weapon to have at least.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:44 am 
OTP Historian

hammer wrote:

I completely forgot about Havlat too.

I looked at the Sharks lineup the other day and was thinking "who?" for a bunch of guys.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:03 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

New lines with Nieto & Havlat back and Burns still out

Hertl - JT - Kennedy
Marleau - Couture - Havlat
Wingels - Pavelski - Nieto
Brown - Desjardins - Sheppard

I'm not sold on Kennedy yet, hopefully he can make an impact and get that line going again until Burns gets back. Then I expect he'll get bumped to the 2nd or 3rd line. Torres is eventually going to have to fit in somewhere too, that might mean Nieto to the AHL.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:27 pm 

James Sheppard. UGH.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:04 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Av-merican wrote:
James Sheppard. UGH.

He's playing pretty well!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next