OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:09 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Hammer said that he'd be attending 2 of the 3 Californian games featuring the Habs this weekend, definitely going to the Habs/Kings game on Saturday night (he said this in the Habs' Schedule thread). Will he be making good on these drunken boasts? If he did decide to honour his Habs love, I'll be the first to say this: Please Hammer, don't hurt 'em.

No fancy new deadline toys for either team. The Sharks are satisfied with all the gold and little bit of silver their players hauled back from Vancouver on Sunday. Habs are happy with a Harvard grad and getting rid of a marginal player.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:19 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

I'm going tonight :cheers: , but missing the LA game. Stupidly planned family vacation to without consulting the habs schedule first and we leave on saturday :doh: . I am really bummed as I have been to habs vs. kings in LA many times - for some reason NHL schedulers almost always have this on a saturday and it is usually one of my favorite weekends of the year. But I am sure I'll be over it by Sunday when I am drinking beers on a tropical beach.

I will be officially cheering for the Habs - they need the win more!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:34 pm 
Big in Japan

Sask you were talking about Maxim being a more effective winger in another thread and I could not agree more with you.

Think about all the league's best pests - all wingers. Really streamlining his game, in essence sending him out to skate, hit and cause turnovers, would do wonders.

Price gets the call again, a prudent move given the tight schedule and the fact hat he's well rested following the break.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:12 pm 
Big in Japan

Also of note is in the Sharks lineup tonight, none other than Jay Leach!

I've always said the Sharks and Habs have an undeniable natural rivalry.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:54 pm 

Gionta scores after the Habs are outshot badly early. I think that was the first time the Habs had the puck in the slot, and it was the high slot too. Good work in front by Pouliot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:57 pm 

Ex-Sharks on the HAbs: Gorges and Moen.

This will be a big weekend for Moen.

Ex-Habs on the Sharks: Leach I think is it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:59 pm 

Hamrlik and Spacek consistently look exhausted.

Wow, Habs almost scored again, great saves by Nabby on Pouliot and Gionta.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:08 am 

Carey's laying it down, motherfuckahs! :Butch:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:13 am 

Fantastic first period by Carey, not so much for the rest of the team.

Sergei and Andrei should not be linemates. Sergei just defers to Andrei all the time. For Plex, this line must feel like he's back with Kovalev. :psyduck: LET TOMAS MAKE THE PLAYS!

Don't know if I've ever said this before, but that Setoguchi kid is pretty darn good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:14 am 
Big in Japan

Price and Halak are both great goalies, but Price has the potential to be even better than great.

That period was as good as I've seen a goalie play. How many goalies do you know are so confident in net they can stay upright on a breakaway and make a glove save?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:22 am 
Big in Japan

2-1 after two.

That Price is a darn good goalie.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:02 am 
Big in Japan

And that's why this team isn't ready for prime time. Can't hold leads, employs a coach who believes shutting down in the final ten minutes to be an effective winning strategy. Nobody is skating on the Habs, and Martin can't figure out why they consistently fall apart.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:26 am 

E.L. wrote:
And that's why this team isn't ready for prime time. Can't hold leads, employs a coach who believes shutting down in the final ten minutes to be an effective winning strategy. Nobody is skating on the Habs, and Martin can't figure out why they consistently fall apart.

That really wasn't the case of "shutting down". The Sharks beat them to loose pucks and gave the Habs no time or space. They just simply took over with their superior... skating, size, skill... everything.

When the Habs didn't score on the PP with 14 minutes to play I knew they'd lose.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:33 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

saskhab wrote:
When the Habs didn't score on the PP with 14 minutes to play I knew they'd lose.

I saw only the 3rd period as we played the late game last night and got to the bar at 12:30.

When I saw that they did not score on the PP I said to the guys " I've seen this movie before and it will be 4-2 Sharks"

I had thought that they would get an empty netter, but didn't.

I didn't see the first two periods, but what I saw in the 3rd was the sharks getting to every loose puck and figured Price must have played a great game.

What a f...ing waste of a great performance from Price.

Also, all the guys on my team think the Habs should trade Price and mnot Halak. Whatever.......

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:46 am 

Basically in the first couple of periods, certain Habs players decided they needed to show some uncharacteristic toughness and the Sharks were like "are you fucking serious?" So Plekanec, Pouliot, and Lapierre took some runs at guys and basically only Gomez and Gionta seemed to want to try and score goals. Dom Moore also tried, I suppose, and the Kostitsyns were just happy to be playing with each other that they forgot they had a third linemate.

I wasn't that impressed with the early goings on, but they did draw some penalties. But in the end, it took the Habs' legs out of the game more than anything and woke the Sharks up to the point that they thoroughly dominated by the end.

Price was brilliant. He lost his stick several times, once on a 4 on 3 PP and when the Habs cleared the zone, Gill went to get him his stick back but the Sharks had come back into the play and he ended up dropping it in front of Price. Price made a great glove save on the play, but the refs ruled that Gill threw the stick in the shooting lane (loose interpretation of the rule) and awarded a penalty shot. Boyle took it, hit the crossbar, and then on the next faceoff Heatley ringed one off the post again.

If that was the coach's gameplan, then yeah Martin deserves some blame. They don't have the team to start running guys. Push back, claim your space, but don't stir shit up against a bunch of 6'3" Canadian boys with 5'10" Euros and Americans.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:19 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Your analogy kind of sums up what I saw in the 3rd.
:x