OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:52 pm 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 8632
Location: 'Real City
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/joe-thornt ... 1295.html/

Should be an automatic Hall of Famer, much to the chagrin of East Coast media types.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:10 pm 
Offline
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:40 pm
Posts: 1701
Well earned Joe. I never used to like Jumbo, always thought he was soft, but he's kind of grown (hairs) on me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:55 am 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 18542
Logical Progression wrote:
Well earned Joe. I never used to like Jumbo, always thought he was soft, but he's kind of grown (hairs) on me.


Kinda funny because if he played like the snarling beast the Bruins wanted him to be I guarantee he wouldn't be a 1,000 assist guy. His longevity can be attributable to that and the fact that his game really isn't predicated on speed either.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:58 am 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 8632
Location: 'Real City
I don't think he needs a Cup to prove he's one of the best playmakers to ever play the game, but I hope he wins one just to shut everyone up. (That and the Sharks deserve one.)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:47 am
Posts: 2921
Pokecheque wrote:

Kinda funny because if he played like the snarling beast the Bruins wanted him to be I guarantee he wouldn't be a 1,000 assist guy. His longevity can be attributable to that and the fact that his game really isn't predicated on speed either.



Bad science Av, correlation doesn't necessarily equal causation. Exhibit one and two, Gordie Howe and Mark Messier seemed to have pretty long careers despite a top end physical game.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:44 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 18542
Fogghorn wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Kinda funny because if he played like the snarling beast the Bruins wanted him to be I guarantee he wouldn't be a 1,000 assist guy. His longevity can be attributable to that and the fact that his game really isn't predicated on speed either.



Bad science Av, correlation doesn't necessarily equal causation. Exhibit one and two, Gordie Howe and Mark Messier seemed to have pretty long careers despite a top end physical game.


Good point, but aren't those guys kinda outliers? I know they're not all Cam Neely, but they're not always Howe/Messier either.

Some players actually change their game in light of injuries. Adam Foote started out the quintessential physical defenseman, but after multiple shoulder surgeries decided to play a different type of game.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:47 am
Posts: 2921
Pokecheque wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Kinda funny because if he played like the snarling beast the Bruins wanted him to be I guarantee he wouldn't be a 1,000 assist guy. His longevity can be attributable to that and the fact that his game really isn't predicated on speed either.



Bad science Av, correlation doesn't necessarily equal causation. Exhibit one and two, Gordie Howe and Mark Messier seemed to have pretty long careers despite a top end physical game.


Good point, but aren't those guys kinda outliers? I know they're not all Cam Neely, but they're not always Howe/Messier either.

Some players actually change their game in light of injuries. Adam Foote started out the quintessential physical defenseman, but after multiple shoulder surgeries decided to play a different type of game.


They might be outliers (could add Scott Stevens and Chris Chelios and probably a lot of others to the list), or it may just be genetics and that some players are able to keep on trucking into late 30's and 40's regardless of playing style. I suspect there is correlation between how they play and longevity but unless someone was compiling an awful lot of player data on size vs playing style vs longevity we really wouldn't know how significant it really is.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:10 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 8858
Pokecheque wrote:
Logical Progression wrote:
Well earned Joe. I never used to like Jumbo, always thought he was soft, but he's kind of grown (hairs) on me.


Kinda funny because if he played like the snarling beast the Bruins wanted him to be I guarantee he wouldn't be a 1,000 assist guy. His longevity can be attributable to that and the fact that his game really isn't predicated on speed either.


Jumbo Joe used to get the odd 1-game suspension for crossing the line when he was in Boston. He wasn't some patsy but a bunch of Bruins fans/media seem to think everyone should be Cam Neely. Apparently it was a fight against Lindros where Eric broke Thornton's face where he lost some of that physical edge.

I didn't like Thornton for a number of years in San Jose because of some shit he pulled in the playoffs against the Wings. Acting tough after the whistle, stickwork and whining. However, that rivalry has kind of died and I don't really care anymore and I like him a lot more again.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group