OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pens hire Dubas
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:48 am 

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/ky ... -1.6861881

Wow, that did not take long at all. I'm wondering if he's being asked to take one last shot at winning the cup before Crosby/Malkin are in wheel chairs, or if he's been given the go ahead to trade off assets and start the rebuild. I'd guess the former but think this is a smart move on the part of the Pens.

Post subject: Re: Pens hire Dubas
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:16 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

So...he's not the GM? He's the Shanahan in Steeltown?

Guess that makes sense.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:09 pm 
Big in Japan

Good move for both sides, obvs. Interesting to see who from Toronto goes with him...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:06 am 

I'm guessing they'll try at least for next year to give it one more go with the current core. After that, Sid has one more year, Malkin two, and I think it's safe to say that even though is signed until 2028, there's no way in hell the majority of that deal doesn't end up on LTIR. If they choose to blow it up, 2024 is the year to do so.

I think Dubas is in a pretty good position to helm a full rebuild. He'll have almost full autonomy to reshape the entire organization and frankly the Pens are not half bad at drafting to begin with, least as far as I can tell.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:04 pm 
Big in Japan

Guentzel is a UFA in a year. One of the most underrated players in the league. Pretty sure he'll stay, but at what price?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:27 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

5 years at $5.3M for Jarry??? Holy shit. Dubas still doesn’t get the value of a good goalie.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:11 pm 
Big in Japan

Dubas dumped multiple Hextall mistakes in one fell swoop: Granlund, Petry, Rutta, De Smith out, the reigning Norris trophy winner in.

Sid, Gene, Letang, EK is an old corps, obviously, but you gotta go for it while Sid's still playing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:57 am 
Big in Japan

EK hasn't worked out and now Dubas is making moves. Guentzel goes to Carolina for a bunch of stuff. Quantity over quality, I think he sees the cupboard as beyond bare.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:38 am 

E.L. wrote:
EK hasn't worked out and now Dubas is making moves. Guentzel goes to Carolina for a bunch of stuff. Quantity over quality, I think he sees the cupboard as beyond bare.

All three of those prospects appear to be pretty good.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:34 am 

More than a few people online appear to be Schadenfreude'ing the hell outta the Pens demise this year.

Me, I feel bad that Dubas was put in an extremely tough position and wasn't able to pull it off (he did make some curious decisions along the way, but still), but I'm not really feeling all that bad for a franchise that was handed a generational talent right when the previous generational talent was done and enjoyed a decade-plus of prosperity and three Stanley Cups.

It's kinda weird how many people I've encountered who really wanted to see Dubas fail.

As for me, I do secretly want to see it torn down in Pittsburgh because there's an outside possibility that Sid the Kid comes to Colorado, but I know that's a pipe dream.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:12 am 

Pokecheque wrote:

As for me, I do secretly want to see it torn down in Pittsburgh because there's an outside possibility that Sid the Kid comes to Colorado, but I know that's a pipe dream.

Of the three teams rumoured as a possible new home (Vancouver, Toronto, Denver) I'd think the Canucks would benefit the most from his experience, and as such would be willing to pay the highest price for him. I also can't imagine Dubas would be super keen on sending him to help Toronto win a cup unless they're significantly paying more.

Assuming Crosby gets $10 million for 3 years in 2025, if so can Colorado fit him in? Landeskog is skating, I'm assuming he's back next year and Rantanen due a raise in 2025

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:40 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Can Crosby still get that kind of money? He's 36, turning 37 this summer. He's still putting up decent points, but the cliff has to be coming up soon, doesn't it?

And Toronto can't afford to pay anywhere near that unless they move someone with a high salary. :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:36 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Of the three teams rumoured as a possible new home (Vancouver, Toronto, Denver) I'd think the Canucks would benefit the most from his experience, and as such would be willing to pay the highest price for him. I also can't imagine Dubas would be super keen on sending him to help Toronto win a cup unless they're significantly paying more.

Assuming Crosby gets $10 million for 3 years in 2025, if so can Colorado fit him in? Landeskog is skating, I'm assuming he's back next year and Rantanen due a raise in 2025

I do not see Rantanen staying past his current contract. He's due to be one of the highest-paid, if not THE highest-paid wingers in the league soon.

It's gonna be tricky in Colorado. Might be a retool of sorts on the horizon no matter what. And that is assuming Landeskog comes back, which is by no means a guarantee.