OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:55 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/col-vs-p ... te=preview

Lines/pairings for the Avs remain the same as last game.

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Iginla
Grigorenko - Soderberg - Duchene
Rourque - Goalborne - Gourque (I actually did not come up with any of these nicknames)
Martinsen - Smith - Comeau

Zadorov - Johnson
Beauchemin - Barrie
Tyutin - Wiercioch

I heard Rene might be hurt, if so, Cody McLeod gets to fill in at that LW spot on the third line. Eric Gelinas, who reportedly was visibly pissed at being a healthy scratch for the season opener, remains the extra defenseman. John "Johnny Malkin" Mitchell remains injured and did not travel with the team. Mikko Rantanen continues his rehab stint with the San Antonio Rampage in the AHL.

Calvin Pickard gets the start tonight, and Varly gets the nod against Washington tomorrow.

Tough, tough four-game road trip here. Pens, Caps, Bolts, and Cats. If they somehow manage at least 4 out of 8 possible points, that's a win IMO.

Pens may not have Sid but their lineup is still scary good.

Wilson - Malkin - Hornqvist
Hagelin - Bonino - Kessel
Kunitz - Cullen - Sheary
Sestito - Fehr - Kuhnhackl

Dumoulin - Letang
Maatta - Daley
Cole - Schultz

I'm assuming Fleury is in nets for 'em and not Latex Condon.

Avs definitely have a better system in place for moving the puck out of the zone, but still had some bad defensive miscues, and Varlamov was not at his level best the other night. Avs have to do a better job clearing rebounds and getting to shooters up high. Wiercioch comes as advertised--a smart, talented defender who gets muscled around a lot. No complaints about him as a depth guy though. Bednar is leaning on Beauchemin and Tyutin as a shutdown pairing, the plan is to get Zadorov those top-pairing minutes and then give him those crucial shifts once he gets comfortable.

Now if you'll excuse me I'll be spending the rest of the night figuring out how to make a pun out of "Kuhnhackl."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:43 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Avs come back from 2-0 and 3-2 to win it in OT. Captain Landy with the GTG and GWG.

The Good: Landeskog, obviously. MacKinnon and Johnson were also fantastic tonight.

The Bad: The PK is a problem early on, but in their defense, they've faced off against the Stars and Penguins to start the year. It definitely tightened up as the game went on and was far more aggressive than Roy's system. Rather than block shots, the emphasis is on pressuring/isolating shooters.

The Ugly: Beauchemin is struggling early on but I'm not too worried. I'm hoping he eventually gets phased down the depth chart a bit and a youngster or two step up.