OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Keith Yandle: Iron Man
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:09 pm 
Big in Japan

I thought Doug Jarvis' consecutive games played streak of 964 was unbreakable. Turns out I was wrong. Keith Yandle did it tonight. Hasn't missed a game since 2009.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:48 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
I thought Doug Jarvis' consecutive games played streak of 964 was unbreakable. Turns out I was wrong. Keith Yandle did it tonight. Hasn't missed a game since 2009.

That's incredibly impressive, especially in the age of covid.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:35 am 
OTP Historian

Incredible.

Kessel sitting close by at 941 too!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:31 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Literally the only good thing happening in Flyerland the last two seasons.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:27 pm 

Got into it on Twitter with some Flyers fans who supported the move. Charlie O'Connor, who covers the team for The Athletic, even chimed in with some pretty gruesome stats.

My take: Why now? Why ELEVEN games away from 1,000? Just let him play if you're gonna do this. If he was this fucking horrid (and apparently he really has been terrible) then he should've been benched the moment he broke the record, or maybe a few games afterward. But now, you're clearly tanking, and I'm all for them giving Ronnie Attard a look, but you can't tell me they needed to see what Nick fucking Seeler brought to the table. That guy knows what his role is. And Seeler managed to get hurt in that game against Toronto, but Philly doubled down and put in Kevin Connauton after that Ugh.

Just do what the Avalanche did with Todd Gill way back when. Let him get to 1,000, hand him his silver stick, and then a few games later, kick his ass to the curb. No harm, no foul.

Anyway...now the active streak belongs to Phil The Thrill. And he'll likely break it too. At least let THAT guy get to 1,000 consecutive.

According to Elliotte Friedman, one team possibly interested in Kessel opted not to bring him aboard because they did not want the pressure of possibly scratching him turning into the big blowup it became with Yandle in Florida.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:37 pm 
Big in Japan

Clown organization keeps clowning it up

Philly has nothing to play for, and no reason for fans to go see a game. Yandle could've been that reason.

This team is never getting out of the trash bin, so screw em.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:57 pm 

They sit him out for two games and now he's back in. I don't get it.

Yandle will likely have to settle for a PTO next season. I don't see a team signing him straight-up this summer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:03 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:

Yandle will likely have to settle for a PTO next season. I don't see a team signing him straight-up this summer.

Now that the streak is over, what's the incentive to keep going? He's barely NHL calibre at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:12 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Now that the streak is over, what's the incentive to keep going? He's barely NHL calibre at this point.

He could easily reach 1,000 next season as an extra guy. That's about it. Depends on if he wants to keep going or not. To be honest I hope he doesn't.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:53 am 

Maybe Yandle was finally banged up enough to sit out?

I was at the game he didn't play in. Not a single fan complained. I think they're tired of him sucking.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:25 pm 

Chris18 wrote:

I was at the game he didn't play in. Not a single fan complained. I think they're tired of him sucking.

Oh no, he was definitely healthy. I just don't see the point. If nothing else, dude helps secure that draft pick they're now tanking for.

I feel bad for him, he looked especially lost and uninspired last night. Like a guy who knows the end is coming and just can't find the extra gear.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:09 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Oh no, he was definitely healthy. I just don't see the point. If nothing else, dude helps secure that draft pick they're now tanking for.

I feel bad for him, he looked especially lost and uninspired last night. Like a guy who knows the end is coming and just can't find the extra gear.

Hasn't he looked lost for a while though? Like, a year or so? :lol: Maybe they're fed up with him and want to start instilling a culture of at least trying hard, if not actually winning. As much as I like to see the Flyers fuck things up, I just can't see an org making such an obvious blunder for no reason.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:24 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Hasn't he looked lost for a while though? Like, a year or so? :lol: Maybe they're fed up with him and want to start instilling a culture of at least trying hard, if not actually winning. As much as I like to see the Flyers fuck things up, I just can't see an org making such an obvious blunder for no reason.

Yes. When things go sideways for a team, pretty much everyone stops trying. People to this day still rail on Matt Duchene for "quitting" in that nightmarish season in 2016-17, but newsflash, they ALL pretty much did. Kinda hard to motivate yourself when you know you're not playing for anything and your fate is sealed. I suppose I expected just a tad more jump from Yandle if for no other reason than to prove his many doubters wrong, but that might be a tad unfair. I just feel bad for him, I could be looking way, way too much into it, but he looked pretty dejected out there. I guess I would too if the organization I was finishing my long career with was treating me like Play Now treated George Costanza.

The way the 32 Thoughts guys put it, Seeler took on Deslauriers in a fight the game before and took a beating, he was all kinds of bloodied up. They decided there was no way they were taking Seeler out, and they wanted to take a look at the newly-signed Ronnie Attard. They also said that since Seeler is signed beyond this season and will likely be the 7th/8th defenseman, whereas Yandle is gonzo, they wanted to see him next to Attard.

While I see some of the logic there, this still strikes me as galaxy-brain bullshit.