OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:57 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:32 pm 

Bobby Clarke, Flyers legend and Airer of Dirty Laundry, serves up some fun tidbits about Ron Hextall's tenure as Philly GM.

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2022/01/b ... trick.html

So it appears Hextall bucked his scouts' suggestions and drafted Nolan Patrick instead of Cale Makar. All I gotta say about that is...thanks, Ron!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:58 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Bobby Clarke, Flyers legend and Airer of Dirty Laundry, serves up some fun tidbits about Ron Hextall's tenure as Philly GM.

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2022/01/b ... trick.html

So it appears Hextall bucked his scouts' suggestions and drafted Nolan Patrick instead of Cale Makar. All I gotta say about that is...thanks, Ron!!!

Good ol' Hexy!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:22 pm 

I'm SHOCKED that one of the craziest, rage-mongering players to ever take NHL ice turned out to be a terrible front office guy.

Of course with Clarke that's the pot calling the kettle black. His tenure as Flayers GM (initially a typo but the inadvertent Game of Thrones reference somehow seems relevant) was pure chaos and drama, and he did way more to help out rival teams win the Cup rather than his own (hey Bobby, tell us again why you traded Sharp and Williams!).

Now I'm curious as to what happens when Hextall tries to lock the door on Burke. I bet that shit don't fly at all, maybe that's the reason why Burke was brought in to begin with.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:33 pm 
Big in Japan

Patrick was the consensus 1-2 guy with Hischier all year, so it wasn't exactly a stretch at the time. Basically a lesson in taking BPA and not the big centre, even if that's what you need in the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:06 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Patrick was the consensus 1-2 guy with Hischier all year, so it wasn't exactly a stretch at the time. Basically a lesson in taking BPA and not the big centre, even if that's what you need in the moment.

Also, there were questions at the time as to whether the talent Makar displayed at the AJHL level would translate. He quickly put those doubts to rest though.

Incidentally, I'm reading the Avs scouts had Heiskanen ranked higher (and possibly also Patrick) so losing the lottery under the then-new rules was, in hindsight, the best case scenario for Colorado.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:11 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Also, there were questions at the time as to whether the talent Makar displayed at the AJHL level would translate. He quickly put those doubts to rest though.

Incidentally, I'm reading the Avs scouts had Heiskanen ranked higher (and possibly also Patrick) so losing the lottery under the then-new rules was, in hindsight, the best case scenario for Colorado.

Teams were still in big defence mode and didn't know what to think about guys like Makar and Hughes. That's changed now, but they'll probably swing back in the other direction eventually.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:14 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

It's crazy how well that's worked out for Colorado.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:25 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I just don't understand why teams have so many scouts and then don't listen to them. If the GM is so fucking smart, save money and don't have the scouts. Do all your own homework and make it very clear that you're the genius or moron. If they're not willing to take that risk, listen to the fucking guys whose job it is to tell you who to pick. I'll never get it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:05 pm 

Bosc wrote:

Yep. Lucked out big-time there. I take back all the incessant whining I did about the lottery rule changes that took place after the Buffalo/Edmonton tank-a-thon in 2015.

I guess I should be thanking those two dipshit organizations as well, since they prompted the rule change to begin with.

Also, the Avs lost the lottery AGAIN a couple years later and took Bowen Byram, and given how slowly Kakko and Dach are developing (Hughes, however, is doing great) that might have also been a blessing in disguise...even though the best defenseman in THAT draft got taken two picks later.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:07 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Yep. Lucked out big-time there. I take back all the incessant whining I did about the lottery rule changes that took place after the Buffalo/Edmonton tank-a-thon in 2015.

I guess I should be thanking those two dipshit organizations as well, since they prompted the rule change to begin with.

Also, the Avs lost the lottery AGAIN a couple years later and took Bowen Byram, and given how slowly Kakko and Dach are developing (Hughes, however, is doing great) that might have also been a blessing in disguise...even though the best defenseman in THAT draft got taken two picks later.

I thought about that one too, and now Lucas Raymond. Still too early to tell on he and Byram, though.