OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:47 pm 
Big in Japan

Major prospect move. Apparently Cutter was ducking Briere at the WJC and the Flyer GM took the hint.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:15 am 
King of Men

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/i-don ... wing-trade

Quote:
The Flyers ending up losing the game 4-1, and in John Tortorella’s post-game press conference, reporters were more interested in what happened off the ice instead of what happened on it. One reporter mentioned that Briere said in his media availability that Gauthier didn’t want to play for the Flyers and asked Tortorella what his reaction to that was that.

“Then we don’t want you,” Tortorella said bluntly.

The reporter followed up by asking if Tortorella was surprised by Gauthier’s words since he had met him before.

“I don’t know Connor from a hole in a wall, I’m not too interested in talking about him,” he said. “I’d rather talk about Jamie, he’s the guy that’s coming here.”

Clearly this kid made the right decision.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:36 am 
Big in Japan

I respect that Briere was willing to make the move, but I gotta say Anaheim's future looks bright: Carlsson, Cutter, McTavish, Zegras, Terry with Mintyukov, Juneau, Zellweger on the blue line. And the Toronto Sun might not know him, but Dostal is a potential no. 1.

Meanwhile the pressure on Michkov to eventually come over just jumped by about 1000 per cent.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:46 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I've read a few things about how Torts acts like a dick on purpose, to try to push people and see at what point they push back, and how. But every time I see him saying stuff like this, I just become re-convinced that he's actually just a dick, and he made up that bullshit about pushing people to see what they're made of to try to cover for himself.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:14 pm 
King of Men

Chris18 wrote:
I've read a few things about how Torts acts like a dick on purpose, to try to push people and see at what point they push back, and how. But every time I see him saying stuff like this, I just become re-convinced that he's actually just a dick, and he made up that bullshit about pushing people to see what they're made of to try to cover for himself.

I like Torts but at this point his schtick has reached end of life. These generations keep getting softer and softer and the approach needed to reach them needs to be adapted or put out to pasture.

While I traveled down the rabbit hole I came across some interesting articles regarding Carter Hart and his Sports Psychologist.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/sports/ ... 80627.html

While this article is old....every young person I talk to wants to be a therapist. I'd be curious to know if teams actually keep them on staff full time nowadays.

We need to get Jim out there as a Sport Psychologist for the Habs!

I don't blame this kid....I wouldn't want to play in Philly either, especially if I had a choice.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:31 pm 
OTP Historian

harmfuljays wrote:
These generations keep getting softer and softer and the approach needed to reach them needs to be adapted or put out to pasture.

I don't blame this kid....I wouldn't want to play in Philly either, especially if I had a choice.

Generations before always say the ones after are getting softer, but sometimes people don't want to put up with abusive asshole behaviour. Torts wouldn't be my first coach I'd want to play for, nor would Philly be my choice of a place to play.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:04 pm 
King of Men

:can: I suppose the needle on what is tolerable is subjective and ever moving from generation to generation. I guess my point there was that Torts methodology has not aged well and is really no longer applicable to the younger crowd.

There comes a time in life where we all should step aside and make way. That's the wisdom of the cycle that age should provide. :buddha:

Some folks never read the room or care to I guess.

Anaheim on the other hand....even with the little ball of hate, seems to get it. Lots of young kids there building that Disney Land atmosphere.

I have to applaud this young man for stating his case several times and standing up to be heard. Better now then when he has less options with 3 kids, a wife (or partner), a mortgage and animals!

Now in case we all missed it he was voted best forward at this year's WJCs....and was an integral part of that US Gold Medal.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:52 pm 
Big in Japan

Some he said-she said being thrown around. Believe what you want:

Gauthier apparently wanted to sign last offseason, but Flyers couldn't for salary cap reasons. He took it as a sign of disrespect.

Something about Kevin Hayes telling Gauthier that Philly was a bad place to play?

Gauthier didn't want to play for that coach and that rookie GM?

Flyers wanted to trade him to Montreal for the fifth pick in last draft but got turned down?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:26 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Something about Kevin Hayes telling Gauthier that Philly was a bad place to play?

Have you ever met Philly sports fans?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:42 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Have you ever met Philly sports fans?

They slashed the tires of Montreal journalist Pat Hickey's car the last time to Flyers and Habs met in the playoffs!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:59 pm 
King of Men

Quote:
Now crazed Flyers fans are coming after Hayes with death threats and are speaking ill of Kevin's deceased brother Jimmy Hayes.

From Hayes to Blues insider Jeremy Rutherford:

“It’s 100 percent false. I don’t know where he got his information from. At first it didn’t really seem like a big deal. But just the shit that’s come from the aftermath, people with death threats, people want my family dead, people happy my brother’s dead. It’s just crazy stuff coming out on something I had not a single aspect of what I’ve done, had any implications on this kid’s decision.”

- Kevin Hayes

Philly fans proving it was a good move!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:39 am 

Yeah, Philly fans are nuts! None of this surprises me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:17 pm 
OTP Historian

harmfuljays wrote:
I guess my point there was that Torts methodology has not aged well and is really no longer applicable to the younger crowd.

Yup

Quote:
I have to applaud this young man for stating his case several times and standing up to be heard.

Hockey is a game where this is always frowned upon. We've seen time and time again that teams and the league(and sometimes the PA) are not looking out for the best interests of the player so if that's what he's doing, good on him for doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:02 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

According to Friedman, it was the Flyers opting to wait one more year to sign him to an ELC that pissed off Gauthier and his camp and that's where the bad blood started. Apparently they wanted to avoid additional bonus overage money, though it would've been something like $250,000. I don't think Torts or Briere or anything else played into the decision.

And I hope every single fan who told Kevin Hayes (who emphatically denies any involvement) that they were glad his brother was dead has a sudden case of the shits for the next three years. Fuck you.

As for Torts he gets annoying from time to time but I loved the quotes. What I loved a lot less were the calculated, orchestrated PR pushes from Keith Jones and Danny Briere to make Gauthier look bad. I also don't buy that line that they were "trying to protect the kid" by not airing this dirty laundry. Fuck off.

As for Drysdale, IMO he has the talent and speed to be a premier puckmoving defenseman, but he's been hurt a lot. That's a big concern moving forward.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:19 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
And I hope every single fan who told Kevin Hayes (who emphatically denies any involvement) that they were glad his brother was dead has a sudden case of the shits for the next three years. Fuck you.

Yup. It's a game. This just completely leaps over any line of decent human behaviour.