OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:01 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
Agreed on the partying too hard story. I went to ASU for a year. Everybody partied too hard there, especially athletes. And I'm sure they had an eye to daddy's money for donations, but felt it was better to kick the kid out. There's a coverup story on it's way out soon.

All kids do dumb stuff. Damaging someone's wheelchair isn't usually on the option list. The kid is trash. If he was my kid, he wouldn't even get to play local hockey. I'd have him doing hard labor around the family mansion if I was Briere. Now that he's an NHL GM, maybe doing menial jobs around the Flyers' rink. Let him see how people live when they weren't born into an NHL family. Spoiled little shit. But Danny Briere himself always looked like a smug little shit to me. Wouldn't surprise me if stories about his youthful exploits start finding their way into the public light.

If père Briere wishes to really punish his kid one menial task would be to work right next to the old-school zambonis the Flyers still use. Apparently in an age where ice resurfacers are electric or hybrid, they still use a diesel-guzzling antique, and are being sued by two former trainers who claim they came down with terminal cancer as a result of the fumes.

In other news, if the Sens are trying to lure in Deadpool, it looks like Angel is setting his sights on the Flyers.

https://twitter.com/FlyersNation/status ... _&ref_url=

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:39 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Whoops. Hot mic incident.

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/flyers-forced-to-issue-public-apology-for-disrespectful-remarks?fbclid=IwAR3iULFH3Ohl9k6i_VLLgSj7jm3iGlfzM4kx5rAoJTiM3BPaKtYBZNJorUM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:39 am 
King of Men

Chris18 wrote:

Seriously? What's the apology for? I guess posting it on social media. But the media is annoying and having to answer the same damn question 100 times is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:32 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Seriously? What's the apology for? I guess posting it on social media. But the media is annoying and having to answer the same damn question 100 times is ridiculous.

Yeah. I just found it funny because it's the Flyers.
From the reporters' side though, they're just doing their job, asking the same shit of all players, hoping for someone to give something click worthy. They got something here, even if indirectly and not necessarily a great look for them. But all publicity is good publicity in media.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:15 am 

Flyers are off to a much-better-than-expected start but this past year has been particularly unkind to Philly sports fans.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:19 pm 

Is Ryan Johansen done? He still has skills to put up points and help a team but he has been sent directly to Phili's farm. They're paying half his salary to be in the minors. Seems Briere thinks his soft attitude is so toxic he'd rather have him in the minors than rubbing off on his young team. Nobody else has claimed him either, so makes me wonder if anyone will ever take another chance on him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:22 pm 
Big in Japan

He's only 31 and two years removed from a 63 pt season, he shouldn't be done if he doesn't want to be. But if he can't adapt his game...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:11 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Is Ryan Johansen done? He still has skills to put up points and help a team but he has been sent directly to Phili's farm. They're paying half his salary to be in the minors. Seems Briere thinks his soft attitude is so toxic he'd rather have him in the minors than rubbing off on his young team. Nobody else has claimed him either, so makes me wonder if anyone will ever take another chance on him.

Yes, he's done.

Funny thing is, he's lazy as fuck and checks as hard as a wet marshmallow, but he's regarded as one of the best guys you'll ever meet in the NHL.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:36 am 

Torts ejected, refuses to leave. Keeps screaming curses at Wes MacCauley. 2 game suspension and a $50,000 fine. Owner says he'll gladly pay the fine, as it shows Torts has the team's back.

Then Torts says publicly that the team is losing a lot because they're making bad plays and will probably continue making bad plays. He's got their backs alright... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:31 pm 

Not gonna lie, I loved that. But I also understand why he got the two games. Especially after team Prez came out and said he'd pay any fine, I knew the league was gonna swing hard.

I just started listening to the latest 32 Thoughts pod, first thing Friedman said was that right here is an example of where having the refs communicate postgame with the press would be very beneficial. But since the league muzzles them, the guys in stripes come off looking petty and vindictive.

I guess it was a newer, younger ref who was officiating the game, he made a few mistakes, Torts lit into him, and Wes McCauley stepped in and booted him as a result.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:44 pm 

I get that sports are just one big reality TV show, but the Philadelphia Flyers are like the trashiest version of it, and just I can't get enough of the drama.

https://phillyhockeynow.com/2024/03/11/ ... -gauthier/

Ryan Johansen wanted to play for the Flyboys despite his less-than-amicable parting with Tortorella in Columbus, but I guess he's hurt so they waived him and then just told him to stay home even after he cleared. This could halt a likely buyout this summer. Also, Kurt Overhardt is Johansen's agent and he also "represents" Cutter Gauthier and, well, I guess there's still some bad blood there. I do hope the Flyers are being as petty as possible as a result of this, that would be awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:27 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
I get that sports are just one big reality TV show, but the Philadelphia Flyers are like the trashiest version of it, and just I can't get enough of the drama.

https://phillyhockeynow.com/2024/03/11/ ... -gauthier/

Ryan Johansen wanted to play for the Flyboys despite his less-than-amicable parting with Tortorella in Columbus, but I guess he's hurt so they waived him and then just told him to stay home even after he cleared. This could halt a likely buyout this summer. Also, Kurt Overhardt is Johansen's agent and he also "represents" Cutter Gauthier and, well, I guess there's still some bad blood there. I do hope the Flyers are being as petty as possible as a result of this, that would be awesome.

But didn't they trade for him? WHY if this is the intention? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:30 pm 

Chris18 wrote:

I think it was mostly the first round pick that Philly wanted. They weren't gonna get that with Walker alone, so they agreed to take on Johansen's contract, which is discounted at 50% (Nashville took literally NOTHING in return for trading him at full retention, which should tell you just how much Trotz wanted him out of the room entirely) and still an albatross.

Reportedly the Avs offered up the same package for Chris Tanev and the Flames said no.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:35 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

I think it was mostly the first round pick that Philly wanted. They weren't gonna get that with Walker alone, so they agreed to take on Johansen's contract, which is discounted at 50% (Nashville took literally NOTHING in return for trading him at full retention, which should tell you just how much Trotz wanted him out of the room entirely) and still an albatross.

Reportedly the Avs offered up the same package for Chris Tanev and the Flames said no.

Guy must be a total dick. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:00 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Guy must be a total dick. :lol:

Well it's weird, because I've read stuff that says he's one of the nicest guys in the room (it was his idea to make shirts that dedicated this year's Moms trip to Josh Manson's late mother) but now I'm reading stuff that says he's a locker room cancer and MacFarland basically HAD to get him out of the room.

The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. I'm guessing he's a perfectly easy guy to get along with but his utterly lazy, soft play on the ice was really getting to guys, especially Nathan MacKinnon, who is a rather demanding fella when it comes to work and execution. Devon Toews brought up twice during the season how some guys just plain weren't buying in, guaranteed one of those guys he was talking about was Johansen.

Whatever the case, he's gone, and he might be done in the NHL for good. Probably a buyout candidate IF he heals up soon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:06 pm 

According to Kevin Kurz of The Athletic, Johansen flew into Philly and promptly told the Flyers he had a hip injury. He then proceeded to get imaging done at the Lehigh Valley Phantoms facility to determine next steps.

I believe Danny Briere said they were willing to deal Johansen at 50% retention (which would be double retention, lowering his cap hit to $2 million on an $8 million annual salary) and found no takers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:08 pm 

So now there's drama surrounding their newly-minted captain. There's a chance Sean Couturier could be an upcoming healthy scratch. Last time I recall a guy getting the captaincy and receiving a stint in the press box the very same year was Dave Lowry in Calgary. That was a LONG time ago.

Also some continued shenanigans with Ryan Johansen. I guess the minute he showed up in Philly and they said "Naw we're waiving you, go to Lehigh Valley" he turned around and said "You can't send me there, I'm hurt!" and Briere's comments about the situation appeared to do very little to hide his frustration/disdain. I wonder if both sides agree to send him to Robidas Island and he just sits at home collecting $8 million for one more season before being cut loose in 2025.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:36 pm 
King of Men

I don't get this move......every time I have seen Couturier this year he's been putting in the work.....and then I say to myself Masterson.

Atkinson I can understand.....but you would think Couturier could be cut a bit more slack considering his situation.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:22 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
I don't get this move......every time I have seen Couturier this year he's been putting in the work.....and then I say to myself Masterson.

Atkinson I can understand.....but you would think Couturier could be cut a bit more slack considering his situation.

Reportedly he's been playing like shit since the calendar turned. Still, you name a guy captain and then send him to the press box a month later!? That ain't gonna play well in the room at all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:05 pm 
Big in Japan

Torts being Torts. Punish players randomly until they love you. Great strategy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next