It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:42 pm 
Apologist for [insert Flyer here]

Quote:
By Sam Carchidi
Inquirer Staff Writer

Quote:
NASHVILLE - Winger Matt Read entered Friday tied for the NHL rookie lead with 13 goals and could become the first Calder Trophy winner in Flyers history.

Center Sean Couturier, a penalty-killing whiz who recently turned 19, has scored goals in three straight - including consecutive game-winners - and looks like the steal of the 2011 draft.

Defenseman Marc-Andre Bourdon, another player who made his NHL debut this season, has provided solid minutes since being promoted from Adirondack in November - and has shown a willingness to be a scrapper and to get involved in the offense.

For the Flyers, the rookie class of 2012 - which includes Brayden Schenn, Zac Rinaldo, and Harry Zolnierczyk, all of whom have been important contributors - appears destined to be one of the franchise's best.

Erik Gustafsson, a promising defenseman whose season was stalled by wrist surgery, is another rookie, and he could be on the cusp of becoming a regular.

"I think there's a development in young players, even in their first year," said coach Peter Laviolette, whose team will face Nashville on Saturday night.

"You go from trying to fit in and find your way to feeling like, 'Hey, I belong here,' and the next step is to feel like you're a contributing factor."

From the start of the season, Laviolette has shown faith in the rookies, as demonstrated by his never shying away from playing Couturier and Read in late-game situations.

The rookies have rewarded him for his confidence in them. They have combined for 58 points - the most by rookies on any NHL team - in 42 games.

I have to say that Homer did a good job restocking the cupboard. Read being the best one of them all. Getting Jake and Couts for Carter was genius.

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

Nice group we got right there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:15 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

What's going on in your sig, Susie? :lol:

Anyhow, Flyboys got away with murder in the Carter deal IMO. I'll agree Holmgren's a pretty smart GM. The Flyers upended their roster and still look like contenders. Dammit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:28 pm 

Quote:
What's going on in your sig, Susie?

It was during the most recent Flyers vs. Pens at the Consol Energy Center where we beat them again. Little fella must have gotten all mad and started to cry because his precious Pens lost again to us.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:35 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

:lol:

I don't know why, but I find that hilarious.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:34 pm 

us 679 part trois wrote:

I don't know why, but I find that hilarious.

So did I when I saw it live! :haha: