OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:35 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Patrick wasn't a swing though. He was a concensus top-2 pick.

Yeah but the red flags were there, one big reason why the Devils opted for Hischer. He's turned out to be even worse health-wise than expected. Not sure where they go from there, but if Morgan Frost can make his way into the NHL (first go-around didn't go well obviously) then it might be a moot point.

Absolutely nobody had him outside of the top-2, even with injury concerns. I wouldn't say that's a swing?

https://thehockeywriters.com/2017-nhl-d ... -rankings/

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017-draft/20 ... t-rankings

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:27 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Bosc wrote:
Absolutely nobody had him outside of the top-2, even with injury concerns. I wouldn't say that's a swing?

https://thehockeywriters.com/2017-nhl-d ... -rankings/

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017-draft/20 ... t-rankings

Which is why I used the Greg Oden analogy. He was hands-down the best player in that draft and still went first overall, but everyone knew what was going to happen. 105 NBA games and six years later, he was done. I'm shocked it was even that many.

I don't think you can consider that pick safe per se. He already had an injury history prior to the draft, and that injury history is precisely why the Devils passed on him. Now...I'm not about to say Philly was dumb for picking him, but there was inherent risk with that pick. It's possible they felt like the pick was worth that risk since they had chanced upon it by way of the stupid new lottery rules, but hey, it ain't like Cale Makar was a surefire star-in-the-making back in 2017. In fact, a lot of people thought that was a very risky pick at the time. I'm glad it panned out obviously, but I don't think Patrick was necessarily the "safe" choice either. Not sure what I would've done in that instance. I think I likely would've gone with Miro there, but I have the gift of hindsight.

Sometimes, the consensus gets it wrong. It happens, not very often, but it happens.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:43 pm 
Big in Japan

Ryan Ellis is a great add. Nolan Patrick, a former 2nd overall pick, moves on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:04 pm 

E.L. wrote:

We'll see if it's a great add. Ellis is good but he's also 30. The thing about the Flyers doing the Flyera thing is that they always get great players--but more often than not they get them at the wrong time. Prime example: Danny Briere was a super-elite player at the time Philly paid through the nose to get him, but they got probably 1-2 years before he fell into a pretty steady decline and then fell off a cliff.

The thing that kinda bothers me with the current iteration of the Flyboys is that there isn't that one guy who can take over a game. There usually needs to be a super-elite player or two to really take over a game, and Philly has talent and depth, but they don't have That Guy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:11 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

We'll see if it's a great add. Ellis is good but he's also 30. The thing about the Flyers doing the Flyera thing is that they always get great players--but more often than not they get them at the wrong time. Prime example: Danny Briere was a super-elite player at the time Philly paid through the nose to get him, but they got probably 1-2 years before he fell into a pretty steady decline and then fell off a cliff.

The thing that kinda bothers me with the current iteration of the Flyboys is that there isn't that one guy who can take over a game. There usually needs to be a super-elite player or two to really take over a game, and Philly has talent and depth, but they don't have That Guy.

They're also trying to give away Voracek, Van Riemsdyk and presumably Giroux, but the young guys haven't quite grabbed the reins. Hart, Konecky, Provorov and Sanheim are developing in fits and starts.

Couturier is a year from being a UFA, which is crazy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:44 pm 
Big in Japan

Flyers dump Gostisbehere on frequent trading partner Arizona. Ghost will replace Goligoski, I suppose.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:21 pm 
Big in Japan

Flyers extend pending UFA Sean Couturier to a 8x7.75M deal. Same as Svechnikov. The new just-below-superstar rate.

Now he and Hayes are up the middle in Philly for a long time to come at about 15M per year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:29 pm 
Big in Japan

This team sucks. Caught between young and old. Hart has sorta bounced back but not enough. Vigneault and Therrien out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:34 am 

E.L. wrote:
This team sucks. Caught between young and old. Hart has sorta bounced back but not enough. Vigneault and Therrien out.

The rebuild under Hextall wasn’t as good as they hoped, and ownership stepped in before it was even done.

Fletcher was a pretty mediocre GM in Minnesota. I wasn’t that impressed with his run there. And already he’s made some questionable decisions in Philly. And now he’s going with MIKE YEO??? Like, dude, you gave that guy every chance in the world the last time and he still failed miserably.

Whatever, I think they know this season is lost. Wonder what happens with golden boy Giroux.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:14 pm 
King of Men

E.L. wrote:

Bro this team does suck.....not even sure how. I've seen quite a few of their games and earlier in the season I thought they looked like a contender. Their body language sucks and they need a sports shrink! Not enough Daryls to go around apparently! I agree...Mike Yeo certainly isn't the answer.

Martin Jones is dreadful and Carter Hart hasn't been much better as of late but the whole team has been shiite.

Giroux is pricey and they would need to eat some salary to unload him but he also has a NMC. Understandably Kevin Hayes has been a through a bit but damn that contract looks bad for a dude that really never scores more than 20.

Ristolainen just looks like a bust at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:57 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Bro this team does suck.....not even sure how. I've seen quite a few of their games and earlier in the season I thought they looked like a contender. Their body language sucks and they need a sports shrink! Not enough Daryls to go around apparently! I agree...Mike Yeo certainly isn't the answer.

Martin Jones is dreadful and Carter Hart hasn't been much better as of late but the whole team has been shiite.

Giroux is pricey and they would need to eat some salary to unload him but he also has a NMC. Understandably Kevin Hayes has been a through a bit but damn that contract looks bad for a dude that really never scores more than 20.

Ristolainen just looks like a bust at this point.

Ristolainen has ALWAYS sucked. People are still convinced he's a good defenseman because he's big, mobile, physical, and has a heavy shot. I call it "Dion Syndrome". Give Buffalo credit, after continually selling off key assets at discount prices, they finally were the ones who hoodwinked another team.

Fact is, there's plenty of talent on the roster but no real gamebreakers. There's not one guy there who can just take over a game, there's no Cale Makar who can just skate through all their guys (though also, geez, puck-watch much guys?) and pot it in the net. The big trade they were banking on, Ryan Ellis, has been a total bust thus far as he's been hurt for most of the season. Provorov's development has stalled, and while he's good, he's not the Norris contender they were hoping he'd be. Morin is a flat-out bust, Sanheim is just a depth guy.

Hart's #s are not great but they're pretty good considering how horrible the defense in front of him is. His HDSV% is one of the best in the league IIRC. He's a legit franchise goalie but FFS, you gotta get someone to help prevent scoring chances.

Philly made a huge mistake IMO getting Fletcher. He's...average. In Minny it was always one step forward, one step back with him.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:17 pm 
Big in Japan

Meanwhile, Voracek is having a partial renaissance in Columbus. Ultimately, this team reset, but they never got anyone in that reset better than Giroux/Voracek. Couturier is a nice third wheel, but after that, Konecky, Farabee, Sandheim, Provorov, Laughton, Frost are all good/not great. And for now, Hart is in that group, as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:01 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Kevin Hayes out 3-4 weeks after having his adductor drained.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:41 pm 

Chris18 wrote:

And if your adductor won't drain itself after 4 hours, go see your doctor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:27 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

And if your adductor won't drain itself after 4 hours, go see your doctor.

You should see adoctor about your adductor.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:00 am 

Poor Kevin. This has been a nightmare year for him both on and off the ice.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:55 pm 

Silver Stick Night for Claude Giroux, unlike any other that has ever taken place, because it's likely his goodbye to the fans and organization. Gonna be interesting to watch and then we get to see what happens between tonight and Monday.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:42 pm 

Lordy, the Flyers, circling the drain at this point, are gonna scratch the one player giving the fans a show (Hayden Hodgson) in favor of washed-up-five-years-ago Nate Thompson, and is currently using Ironman Keith Yandle on the fourth pairing in practice, so his streak could end tomorrow against Toronto.

Like, okay, who the hell cares if he's playing like shit? You're tanking now. Why sit him? We'll see if he actually does go to the press box.

Flyers: Making Really Poor Decisions Since 1975.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:43 pm 

In what has to be the ultimate tease, the Flyers announce that in addition to their new Reverse Retros, they will wear COOPERALLS... :flashfap:

...in warmups. :jerkbag:

And don't give me this "Oh it's a safety thing." Bullshit. The league don't give a FUUUUUUCK about player safety.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:36 pm 

Flyers are indeed a bad team so they're definitely gunning for a top pick, but it remains to be seen who they decide to build around.

Couturier and Ellis are at the point now where you have to wonder if, not when, they'll ever return.

Hayes, who had probably the worst year of his life both on and off the ice last season, appears to be contributing and holding up health-wise, question is now as to who acquires him with all that money and term left on his deal. I imagine the Avs would love to acquire him (they were in the mix when he was a free agent but bowed out once the price got too high) but if that were to happen, no doubt Philly would be asked to retain a not-insignificant portion of his contract. I'm guessing most any suitor would ask the same.

Much as they absolutely struck out (and now know they did) with that horrid Ristolainen extension, they also locked up Sanheim long-term, which is a good thing, and found a fantastic top-four option in Cam York. Now I guess we'll see if they wish to move on from Provorov, who should get some interest even with all the money owed him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next