OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:35 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Patrick wasn't a swing though. He was a concensus top-2 pick.

Yeah but the red flags were there, one big reason why the Devils opted for Hischer. He's turned out to be even worse health-wise than expected. Not sure where they go from there, but if Morgan Frost can make his way into the NHL (first go-around didn't go well obviously) then it might be a moot point.

Absolutely nobody had him outside of the top-2, even with injury concerns. I wouldn't say that's a swing?

https://thehockeywriters.com/2017-nhl-d ... -rankings/

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017-draft/20 ... t-rankings

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:27 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Bosc wrote:
Absolutely nobody had him outside of the top-2, even with injury concerns. I wouldn't say that's a swing?

https://thehockeywriters.com/2017-nhl-d ... -rankings/

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017-draft/20 ... t-rankings

Which is why I used the Greg Oden analogy. He was hands-down the best player in that draft and still went first overall, but everyone knew what was going to happen. 105 NBA games and six years later, he was done. I'm shocked it was even that many.

I don't think you can consider that pick safe per se. He already had an injury history prior to the draft, and that injury history is precisely why the Devils passed on him. Now...I'm not about to say Philly was dumb for picking him, but there was inherent risk with that pick. It's possible they felt like the pick was worth that risk since they had chanced upon it by way of the stupid new lottery rules, but hey, it ain't like Cale Makar was a surefire star-in-the-making back in 2017. In fact, a lot of people thought that was a very risky pick at the time. I'm glad it panned out obviously, but I don't think Patrick was necessarily the "safe" choice either. Not sure what I would've done in that instance. I think I likely would've gone with Miro there, but I have the gift of hindsight.

Sometimes, the consensus gets it wrong. It happens, not very often, but it happens.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:43 pm 
Big in Japan

Ryan Ellis is a great add. Nolan Patrick, a former 2nd overall pick, moves on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:04 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:

We'll see if it's a great add. Ellis is good but he's also 30. The thing about the Flyers doing the Flyera thing is that they always get great players--but more often than not they get them at the wrong time. Prime example: Danny Briere was a super-elite player at the time Philly paid through the nose to get him, but they got probably 1-2 years before he fell into a pretty steady decline and then fell off a cliff.

The thing that kinda bothers me with the current iteration of the Flyboys is that there isn't that one guy who can take over a game. There usually needs to be a super-elite player or two to really take over a game, and Philly has talent and depth, but they don't have That Guy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:11 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

We'll see if it's a great add. Ellis is good but he's also 30. The thing about the Flyers doing the Flyera thing is that they always get great players--but more often than not they get them at the wrong time. Prime example: Danny Briere was a super-elite player at the time Philly paid through the nose to get him, but they got probably 1-2 years before he fell into a pretty steady decline and then fell off a cliff.

The thing that kinda bothers me with the current iteration of the Flyboys is that there isn't that one guy who can take over a game. There usually needs to be a super-elite player or two to really take over a game, and Philly has talent and depth, but they don't have That Guy.

They're also trying to give away Voracek, Van Riemsdyk and presumably Giroux, but the young guys haven't quite grabbed the reins. Hart, Konecky, Provorov and Sanheim are developing in fits and starts.

Couturier is a year from being a UFA, which is crazy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:44 pm 
Big in Japan

Flyers dump Gostisbehere on frequent trading partner Arizona. Ghost will replace Goligoski, I suppose.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14