OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:48 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 18639
From today's Flys/B's tilt. Pretty much sums up Steve Mason's entire NHL career:

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:24 am 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 18639
Can someone please explain the "Flyers should've fucking kept Doughty" joke? I'm not getting it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:42 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 8878
Steve Mason with a 2.27 GAA and .925 sv%.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:41 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 8878
Oh hey. Goaltending coach and the guy Steve Mason credits with resurrecting his career, Jeff Reese, left the Flyers. Why? Looks like it's because surprise surprise, the Flyers have problems being fucking idiots with injured players(including Mason previously) again(not to mention salary cap issues leading to the need to dress Mason).

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/spor ... uptly.html

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:41 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 18639
No surprise, Vinny lets it be known that if Berube is back next season, he won't be.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:49 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 6186
Av-merican wrote:
No surprise, Vinny lets it be known that if Berube is back next season, he won't be.


Surprising he'd voice it publicly, but not surprising that he'd feel that way.

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:55 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 18639
Chris18 wrote:
Surprising he'd voice it publicly, but not surprising that he'd feel that way.


This organization has a long track record of airing their dirty laundry. I remember Captain Keith Primeau basically telling management they better fire Bill Barber, or else.

Frankly they should both go. Kinda sad seeing Lecavalier's career peter out like this. Prior to those wrist surgeries that pretty much did him in, he was hands-down the best player in the NHL.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:18 pm 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 8674
Location: 'Real City
I don't think he was ever hands-down the best player at any point, but he had a special combination of size and skill. He was also a chippy and chirppy mofo.

If he's willing to recast himself as a checking, puck-possession centre, he might be able to extend his career, but his days as a reliable scorer are very much over.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:13 pm 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 8674
Location: 'Real City
Well, Berube might be done. Ripped into Sean Couturier for not scoring enough, even though he's their go-to defensive zone centre.

Quote:
Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli · 37m 37 minutes ago
Berube: "You're telling me Couturier starts in the defensive zone too much. Well, that's his job."


Quote:
Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli · 17m 17 minutes ago
Berube: "He needs understand he’s going to start there a lot of times, he needs to get it in the offensive zone and get it done."


Quote:
Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli · 12m 12 minutes ago
Berube: "We're trying to make a little bit of an excuse that I'm using him too much in the defensive zone. (1/2)


Quote:
Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli · 12m 12 minutes ago
Berube (2/2): "For him to develop as a better player and a better offensive player, he’s got to learn how to produce starting in the DZ."

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:26 am 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 8878
E.L. wrote:
I don't think he was ever hands-down the best player at any point, but he had a special combination of size and skill. He was also a chippy and chirppy mofo.

If he's willing to recast himself as a checking, puck-possession centre, he might be able to extend his career, but his days as a reliable scorer are very much over.


He obviously didn't have the same peak but he could be like Trottier in Pittsburgh.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:19 am 
Offline
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:13 pm
Posts: 10798
Location: Saskabush
Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:
I don't think he was ever hands-down the best player at any point, but he had a special combination of size and skill. He was also a chippy and chirppy mofo.

If he's willing to recast himself as a checking, puck-possession centre, he might be able to extend his career, but his days as a reliable scorer are very much over.


He obviously didn't have the same peak but he could be like Trottier in Pittsburgh.

That's quite excessive. Better comparable would be Muller.

_________________
Injustice? Cobain died and Eddy Fucking Vedder lived to haunt us with his shitty fucking voice, trite lyrics and his Eddy Vedderness.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:44 am 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 8878
saskhab wrote:
Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:
I don't think he was ever hands-down the best player at any point, but he had a special combination of size and skill. He was also a chippy and chirppy mofo.

If he's willing to recast himself as a checking, puck-possession centre, he might be able to extend his career, but his days as a reliable scorer are very much over.


He obviously didn't have the same peak but he could be like Trottier in Pittsburgh.

That's quite excessive. Better comparable would be Muller.


I'm speaking strictly in terms of being an older guy with experience who used to be a great/elite offensive player taking on a defensive role late in career who can chip in some offense. Not trying to compare their careers or anything. EL also said that Lecavalier was chirpy(which I didn't know of really) and so Trottier in Pittsburgh was the first guy who came to mind because of that old video of he and Kevin Stevens shit-talking Brian Bellows.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:47 am
Posts: 2933
Bosc wrote:
saskhab wrote:
Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:
I don't think he was ever hands-down the best player at any point, but he had a special combination of size and skill. He was also a chippy and chirppy mofo.

If he's willing to recast himself as a checking, puck-possession centre, he might be able to extend his career, but his days as a reliable scorer are very much over.


He obviously didn't have the same peak but he could be like Trottier in Pittsburgh.

That's quite excessive. Better comparable would be Muller.


I'm speaking strictly in terms of being an older guy with experience who used to be a great/elite offensive player taking on a defensive role late in career who can chip in some offense. Not trying to compare their careers or anything. EL also said that Lecavalier was chirpy(which I didn't know of really) and so Trottier in Pittsburgh was the first guy who came to mind because of that old video of he and Kevin Stevens shit-talking Brian Bellows.


But Trottier was always elite defensively as well, if it had not been for Gainey being so good he would probably have had a Selke or two. So in his case the offense left him but he could still play positionally sound defence. Bit different context for Vinny.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:44 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 18639
They tried turning Petr Nedved into a checking forward in Philly. Didn't take. I hope Vinny has better sense. He can still be productive firing one-timers on the power play, but that's about it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:12 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 6186
I want Vinny to hold on, because he's younger than me. When guys younger than me are considered old and retire, well that just sucks.

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:01 am 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 8674
Location: 'Real City
Berube fired.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:05 pm 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 8674
Location: 'Real City
https://twitter.com/bryzgoalie30/status ... 1405552640

:haha:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:22 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 18639
The Flyboys present an interesting case study into advanced statistics.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2016/1 ... -which-one


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group