OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobbies
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:30 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Can't believe after all these years we still don't have a thread about hobbies.

I'm getting back into woodworking. Been feeling the desire to build stuff lately. I do lots of DIY home repair/improvement, but I've been wanting to build other stuff. Going to make some owl houses with my 15 year old. She's psyched to learn. I'm psyched to have owls nesting in the yard to keep the mice down. Little fuckers. But I've been looking into ways of improving my "shop" (garage) and tools. Building a circle cutting jig and a drill press table in the near future. Circle jig is for my Stanley Cup stick project (still not done after beginning like 10 years ago :lol: ). One of my New Year's resolutions is to finish projects that I've started and/or bought materials for. The list is daunting, and largely home improvement stuff.

I'm also still hoping the skatepark down the road gets rebuilt soon. It's in planning now. I'll be happy to skate some small vert, but street isn't in the cards much these days. My knees would just be like "fuck you, fatty!" and give out. But vert isn't as taxing, and I am pushing hard (pun fully intended) for a bowl, so I can just carve around a ton.

Still hoping to get some surfing in, although I'm busy enough this summer that I likely won't have time. Again.

I've already noted March 10th starts daylight savings so it'll get dark at 7 pm here in NY, so I'll be riding my bike a shitload then. Hoping to do at least 20 miles/day, which sounds like a lot, but isn't bad at all when the days are longer. Doing another long trip this summer so I need to get in shape for it.

What do you guys do in "free" time?

Post subject: Re: Hobbies
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:28 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
What do you guys do in "free" time?

Kids stuff :lol:

Besides hockey one night a week, next spring/summer/fall I'm hoping to spend more time mountain biking and biking with the family.

Still love video games, Kerbal Space Program 2 and Pokemon Go right now.

I miss building shit and using my tools. I love being able to do things like fixing my dishwasher and dryer. Might build some crude shelves for the laundry room.

Also in a D&D group online one night a week and having fun with that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:54 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Online D&D? How does that work? and btw if you like food and D&D check out Delicious in Dungeon on Natflix. Nothing quite like it, adventures short on cash learn how to make great food from the monsters in dungeon. lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:12 pm 

More biking is great! :Butch:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:10 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

In order to hopefully jumpstart my wannabe writer tendencies, I went ahead and plunked down the pre-order money for this contraption close to a year ago. It finally came in the mail this week.

https://getfreewrite.com/products/alpha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:16 pm 
OTP Historian

Fogghorn wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Online D&D? How does that work? and btw if you like food and D&D check out Delicious in Dungeon on Natflix. Nothing quite like it, adventures short on cash learn how to make great food from the monsters in dungeon. lol

Roll20.org and Discord. There's also tools to help you build out characters which were useful since this was my first time doing it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:42 pm 

Roll20.net.............the dot.org is some hookup site :lol: that must be your other hobby.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:13 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Roll20.net.............the dot.org is some hookup site :lol: that must be your other hobby.

:doh:

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:02 pm 
OTP Historian

:lol: Got the end confused with OTP :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:53 am 

Partially through building a drill press table. I realized the other day it's more difficult than I'd anticipated due to having to cut around the height adjustment gear and crank, frame around the table/column connection, etc. But the nice thing is, since it's a hobby, instead of getting pissed off and rushing through a situation like that and making a mistake, I just walked away and said "another day".

Plan to make a circle cutting jig so I can finally finish that Stanley Cup replica out of broken sticks that's been sitting in the garage for over 9 years! :lol:

Also going to make Miss18.1 a police duty belt & gear rack as a graduation present. Already bought the 3/4" pipe parts for that.

One of my reasons for starting all of this is to chip away at my to-do list, since I've bought parts/materials for so many projects. My New Year's resolution was to finish projects I've started or bought parts/materials for. It's an easy way to clean up the shed/garage/basement at the same time! :lol: I started looking around one day and was like "what is all this shit? Oh. Parts for this. Material for that. I should do those projects!" :x So, I'm working on it. The drill press table and circle jig help with the Stanley Cup, which will get piles of broken sticks out of my way. Also making Adirondack chairs out of my girls' old sticks for them as a surprise. And one for my wife out of my old sticks. Already rough cut most of the parts.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:41 pm 
Chaser, Wearer of Skirts

Self-dentistry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:43 pm 

:o

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:03 pm 
Chaser, Wearer of Skirts

Only after Canucks games like last night. I don’t even trust myself with a hammer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:58 pm 

farang wrote:
Self-dentistry

Like pulling them or giving yourself fillings? I pulled a friend's tooth once. It. Is. Fucking. Disgusting. And Disturbing! Still bothers me to think about like 30 years later.

And I buy my dogs antlers to chew instead of rawhide (which is bad for dogs apparently). The antlers are naturally shed, and you get some huge pieces off 8-12 pointers! So I cut them on my miter saw. It's like cutting bone, which is easier than I'd thought (scary!), but it smells like when a dentist drills teeth, since teeth are essentially bones we can see. So I have to turn a fan on, aiming the dust & scent out of the garage when I do it. I bought a huge box of antlers off Ebay for like 1/4 the price in pet stores, but I had to cut a ton of them. Did it all one summer day and left the garage open all day afterwards. Yuck.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:14 pm 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:

My wife has been watching Dimension 20 and desperately wants to get a game going in Montreal.