OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:05 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I also finished Enterprise, burned through it in record time thanks to late nights with a fussy newborn. The wife was quite annoyed with me but what can ya do?

I have mixed feelings. The show is much better than I originally thought, but also had some huge problems that I hadn't picked up on before. Also, it appears virtually everyone hated the abrupt finale, especially Jolene Blalock and Scott Bakula, and I'm inclined to agree. Frakes, who guest starred on it, absolutely savaged it.

It wasn't a terrible show, but it was by no means great either. The only Nu-Trek show I'd put below it is Picard seasons 1 and 2, but I've said before Picard season 1 is far and away the worst Trek I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:36 pm 

Well I quite enjoyed that! I might even watch that one twice!

On a side note, Ethan Peck has an incredible voice.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:51 pm 
King of Men

Well I do have to say....that was a bold and unique move for the musical episode. At first I enjoyed the comedy of it and then midway it took a serious twist which started to grate on me. But in the end they brought it back with full absurdity.....I about fell out of my chair when he said HAIL THE KLINGONS UHURA....classic moment. All the while sneaking in the reason for why spock is the way he is. As someone who is not a fan of musicals I thought it was very well done, Bravo!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:05 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
I dunno, I don't think we really need 20+ episodes in a season anymore. I found myself exhausted after getting through just one season of Enterprise. And I'd argue SNW has done more in just a handful of episodes with characterization than Enterprise did in four 4X20-plus hours of TV. I still don't know much, if anything about Travis Mayweather and Hoshi Sato. Kind of a problem when your two non-white characters are given the least amount of love in the writer's room...just sayin'.

To be fair, the old shows weren't meant to be binged watched, and given the heavy story telling in Enterprise (tho, as usual, not on minority actors), yeah - it sucks to binge watch and I liked the series lol! As a whole, I have it 4th.

The musical episode had me flashbacking to "Once more with feeling" from Buffy. Liked the accapella intro and it was sorta fun, but I've never liked musicals lol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:51 pm 

BCG wrote:
To be fair, the old shows weren't meant to be binged watched, and given the heavy story telling in Enterprise (tho, as usual, not on minority actors), yeah - it sucks to binge watch and I liked the series lol! As a whole, I have it 4th.

The musical episode had me flashbacking to "Once more with feeling" from Buffy. Liked the accapella intro and it was sorta fun, but I've never liked musicals lol

Still processing Enterprise...it remains both better than I expected and yet still not anywhere near as good as it could've been. But still I rank it above Voyager and "early" Picard.

Again, apologies if I'm repeating myself but I wondered why the "Crossfield Class" the rogue Klingons were using in the season premiere didn't look much like Discovery. Turns out the intention was for that ship to be an NX-class, but doing so would've required them to build new sets, so they hurriedly made it a heavily altered Crossfield so they could just re-use the ones from Discovery that were already available, so that's why it looks way more like Archer's old-ass Enterprise on the outside, but it's all Discovery inside.

I've actually watched "Subspace Rhapsody" twice now, which is something because while I like musical theatre a lot more than I used to, I'm still not what you call a huge fan. What a crazy-ass concept, which I think they pull off for the most part.

Really awesome they once again brought back Bruce Horak but this time as a grumpy Klingon general forced to sing a K-Pop-style number. :laugh: I didn't even know it was him until Wil Wheaton brought it up on the Ready Room. I read he's actually quite well-versed in song and dance, the latter of which is amazing since he's mostly blind.

Season finale coming up, and it appears from the previews a recurring character may not make it to season three. And FINALLY, the Gorn show up again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:08 am 

Oh goddammit I hate season finale cliffhangers. :chris18:

And *SPOILER ALERT* we meet yet another original series main character, this time it’s a very young Montgomery Scott. And for the first time, he’s played by an actual Scot.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:03 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Oh goddammit I hate season finale cliffhangers. :chris18:

And *SPOILER ALERT* we meet yet another original series main character, this time it’s a very young Montgomery Scott. And for the first time, he’s played by an actual Scot.

I was legit pissed that they wasted the whole season on pablum before going back to the gorn cliffhanger from season 1.... only to have another manufactured cliffhanger :argh: If that the Season 2 opener and they actually developed in through the season... maybe I'd care if any of them died.... although you already knew Chappelle would live. Maybe this is how they write off the black doctor.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:31 pm 

BCG wrote:
I was legit pissed that they wasted the whole season on pablum before going back to the gorn cliffhanger from season 1.... only to have another manufactured cliffhanger :argh: If that the Season 2 opener and they actually developed in through the season... maybe I'd care if any of them died.... although you already knew Chappelle would live. Maybe this is how they write off the black doctor.

I absolutely HATE the "To Be Continued" at the end of a season finale. They started that on TNG with "The Best of Both Worlds" and it sent me into a rage. They also did it in Voyager and I THINK they did so one time on Enterprise, fuckin' hate it. Now Deep Space Nine, they did not. Yes, a ton of shit was left in the air but the finale itself reached IMO a satisfying conclusion. One of many reasons why that show remains Trek's Holy Grail as far as I'm concerned.

And no, M'Benga won't be killed off, I guarantee you that. He is also a holdover from the original series, appearing in two episodes, just not as Chief Medical Officer. Whether there's a story that shows us why he moves on from that position, I guess we'll see. The ones we know for sure will not die are Pike, M'Benga, Chapel, Uhura, and Spock. Number One is a holdover from the original series as well but since she never appears in any episode beyond "The Cage" they could very well kill her off if they so choose.

Oh yes, also, Sam Kirk will definitely make it out of this show, because he and his wife will die at the hands of giant booger monsters that nearly kill Spock in the original series. Sam Kirk's corpse was of course played by none other than William Shatner sporting a snazzy mustache. My money is on La'an not making it to the end of the series. Just a gut feeling since they're really playing up her connection to Kirk. But we'll see. She and Ortegas are original characters so who knows.

I said before a certain recurring love interest might not make it to next season, now we know she will, but she's in some deep shit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:07 am 
Big in Japan

From Stinky's newsletter:

Quote:
And it’s not that they don’t like science fiction. They’ve seen every Star Trek episode from every series - even the dreadful Deep Space 9.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:16 am 
King of Men

Ok...that's it for ST:STNW....now I get to read these comments.

I also find it rather odd with the "pablum" (f'n awesome word, had to look it up). I found some of these episodes questionable but I do like the series and most of the characters. Ethan Peck is an awesome Spock, Leonard would be proud! At least it isn't a pandering mess like Discovery.

Sad fact...my daughter came home the other day with a Nimoy Live Long and Prosper cup that was on clearance. I asked her if she knew who he was or who the character was.....and she said no....I just know you say this and you like Star Trek....ho hum.

I was holding out hope that Chapel was whacked, after all that's what she gets for destroying Spock's emotional center! However, in pure cheese fashion she happened to be the only one aboard the destroyed saucer section......... :roll:

I've completely checked out on Star Wars series after stupid Boba Fett......didn't watch the last season of the Mandalorian. I did really like Andor and hopefully we get more of that. I don't watch the animation and I am not sure about this Ahsoka.....I have nothing else to watch..so I guess.

When is Darth Maul going to get a series? Its pretty easy just to have a series called SITH and go from there. I just don't get why Disney can't fully embrace the Dark Side! :twisted: But perhaps its better this way since they can't do a good job of it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:11 pm 
King of Men

Ok as someone who has never bothered with Rebels or any other Disney Star Wars series animation......I will have to wait for somebody else around here to take the plunge on Ahsoka.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:42 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:
I've actually watched "Subspace Rhapsody" twice now, which is something because while I like musical theatre a lot more than I used to, I'm still not what you call a huge fan. What a crazy-ass concept, which I think they pull off for the most part.

Finally watched that episode last night. I def despise those musical episodes (prior to this one, the last one I kept down was on Lucifer; definitely jumped the shark with that crap). But I really appreciated that the SNW showrunners made an attempt to integrate it into the storyline and the original songs, while nothing Broadway-worthy, moved the various sub-plots forward. I really didn't mind it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:18 pm 
King of Men

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:01 am 

E.L. wrote:

Quote:
And it’s not that they don’t like science fiction. They’ve seen every Star Trek episode from every series - even the dreadful Deep Space 9.

I suppose everyone is entitled to opinions. Even horribly idiotic ones.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:05 am 

Watched the first two episodes of Ahsoka. May be a bit before it pulls me in, the first two hours definitely didn’t get me. It wasn’t bad at all, just not terribly exciting.

As someone who has never really watched the animated offerings I appreciate that they don’t require you to do so in order to know what’s going on.

So far the best part of the show is Ray Stevenson, who sadly will not be there for season two.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:03 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Quote:

I suppose everyone is entitled to opinions. Even horribly idiotic ones.

The best part of DS9 is they never once thought about re-booting it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:43 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Ok...that's it for ST:STNW....now I get to read these comments.

I also find it rather odd with the "pablum" (f'n awesome word, had to look it up). I found some of these episodes questionable but I do like the series and most of the characters. Ethan Peck is an awesome Spock, Leonard would be proud! At least it isn't a pandering mess like Discovery.

Sad fact...my daughter came home the other day with a Nimoy Live Long and Prosper cup that was on clearance. I asked her if she knew who he was or who the character was.....and she said no....I just know you say this and you like Star Trek....ho hum.

I was holding out hope that Chapel was whacked, after all that's what she gets for destroying Spock's emotional center! However, in pure cheese fashion she happened to be the only one aboard the destroyed saucer section......... :roll:

I've completely checked out on Star Wars series after stupid Boba Fett......didn't watch the last season of the Mandalorian. I did really like Andor and hopefully we get more of that. I don't watch the animation and I am not sure about this Ahsoka.....I have nothing else to watch..so I guess.

When is Darth Maul going to get a series? Its pretty easy just to have a series called SITH and go from there. I just don't get why Disney can't fully embrace the Dark Side! :twisted: But perhaps its better this way since they can't do a good job of it.

Not sure they’ll ever do a Darth Maul series. Ray Park is a rather controversial figure, and a lot of Maul’s storyline played out in animated form (or so I’m told). As for the Dark Side, we will see what happens with The Acolyte. It could be good, it could be terrible. Time will tell.

Back to Trek, there’s no way they can whack Chapel. She makes it to the original series and beyond. What we do know is that she’s headed to a fellowship where she will meet her future fiancé.

As for the destruction of Spock’s emotional center, that likely took place when Kirk was “killed” on the maiden voyage of the Enterprise-B in Star Trek Generations. We know that Kirk wouldn’t actually die for another 70 years or so due to that silly Nexus time ribbon or whatever the hell it was. The most devastating loss for Kirk was Spock in Wrath of Khan, even more devastating than his own son in the following film, so I assume the opposite would hold true for Spock.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:47 pm 

The Shuttlepod Show continues to give great insights. I have said before I wasn’t a fan of the “Temporal Cold War” storyline in the show, well it turns out the guy who came up with the whole idea in the first place, Brannon Braga, wasn’t either. He conceived the whole idea as its own show, but then threw it into Enterprise because the Paramount execs were not at all sold on a prequel series. They lapped up the idea, but once it was introduced he didn’t feel great about it, and so only revisited it sparingly, wrapping the whole thing up at the beginning of season three.

Also, Braga said he got a harsh phone call from Scott Bakula about the script for the very divisive series finale. Doesn’t sound like anyone liked that ending.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:42 pm 

Fun firefight in Ahsoka, the fighters used by the not-Sith villains (their lightsabers are orange on purpose) were obviously based on WWII planes, very cool.

Still not sold on this show but so far, I'm entertained at least. I still can't help but think I'd be waaaaay more into it if I had ever watched a single episode of Rebels.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:53 pm 

Still not in "holy shit that was awesome!" mode on Ahsoka. Again, this really seems geared toward fans of Rebels, which is fine.

They could've done a spinoff featuring only Baylan Skoll and Sinn Hati taking on all sorts of shady-ass jobs across the galaxy and I would watch. Alas, no chance for that now.

I did read the Timothy Zahn books that introduced Grand Admiral Thrawn, obviously his canonical version will differ greatly, so I really have no idea who this guy is apart from the fact that he's a blue alien who wears a white Imperial Navy uniform and he's supposedly a tactical mastermind. They used the same actor who voiced the character in Rebels (I guess he's Mads Mikkelsen's brother?) and, well...I dunno. The performance left me kinda underwhelmed. But admittedly, Thrawn isn't an over-the-top villain like Darth Vader or the Emperor, so I'm not sure what I was expecting. Still, they REALLY built this introduction up and I was kinda like...okay.

I am extremely intrigued by one character though, this Captain Enoch guy who looks like a Stormtrooper who raided a costume stash from a John Boorman film is crrrrrazy lookin' and has had the best line of the show thus far: "Die well."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next