OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:49 pm 

I went into S3 of Picard with the lowest of expectations knowing it was just a setup for another crappy series reliant on OG fans for support and it turned out to be a more-than-I-hoped-for goodbye to the Star Trek franchise as I knew it. Star Trek was great because it was hopeful in a slightly realistic way and it remembered the crew are military, so it wasn't too deep in soapie nonsense. So seeing that OG Star Trek done well one more time was perfect. I kinda thought the end of episode 9 was a bit overboard, but if ya gotta go down - go down with the ship lol

Fogghorn wrote:
I wouldn't mind a dedicated series about Worf though.

A Klingon POV episode with Worf would have been great as would some closure around Sisko.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:29 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

BCG wrote:
I went into S3 of Picard with the lowest of expectations knowing it was just a setup for another crappy series reliant on OG fans for support and it turned out to be a more-than-I-hoped-for goodbye to the Star Trek franchise as I knew it. Star Trek was great because it was hopeful in a slightly realistic way and it remembered the crew are military, so it wasn't too deep in soapie nonsense. So seeing that OG Star Trek done well one more time was perfect. I kinda thought the end of episode 9 was a bit overboard, but if ya gotta go down - go down with the ship lol

Fogghorn wrote:
I wouldn't mind a dedicated series about Worf though.

A Klingon POV episode with Worf would have been great as would some closure around Sisko.

Michael Dorn was very publicly upset with Trek for not going with his idea about a Captain Worf show. When they announced he'd be reprising the role for Picard I was actually quite surprised. Who knows what they'll do. They better hurry though, the man is 70 years old and still looks great but the fight scenes are gonna start looking ridiculous soon.

And I think that was the end of Ben Sisko. I'd be shocked if they brought him back, even though he's not technically "dead." A shame we've already lost two members of the DS9 cast.

Star Trek: Legacy could go in a number of directions, they'd have a whole universe to explore, I'd be thrilled beyond belief if they somehow worked Deep Space Nine (if it's even called that anymore) into a storyline. It's only a matter of time before it becomes a reality. What shape that reality takes, I'm not sure. Sounds like it'll play fast and loose with the time period because Terry Matalas said if he ever got the go-ahead that Todd Stashwick's Captain Shaw would be involved somehow.

Side note: I'm not one for non-fiction and really not one for biographies, but I very well may get this one. https://ew.com/books/patrick-stewart-me ... ver-title/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:48 pm 

So I skipped to last 10 minutes of E9. Yeah the Enterprise, however this was the question I was asking in E4 or 5 whenever they first got to the museum. Is there a ship that runs and not tied into the whole network. But it never came up as the writers dumb shit down to move the plot conveniently forward. Consistent problem I had with the series, that I was out thinking the crew. E10 was very good though.

So 7 of 9 would be the kind of leader I'd follow, she was my favourite character in this series. Glad she is going to be in the new series. And damn is Jeri Ryan the sexiest 55 year old around? Also liked Sydney La Forge so those two are great for a new series. However I kept hoping Raffi and Jack Crusher would die, die, die. It sure seems that despite Crusher only being an ensign, the series is going to evolve primarily around his character line. So much good TV out there, not sure I'll find the time for the next one unless Worf and 7/9 get married or something. Could you imagine the two of them as partners in an intergalactic detective agency? That would be a show I'd definitely watch.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:06 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
So I skipped to last 10 minutes of E9. Yeah the Enterprise, however this was the question I was asking in E4 or 5 whenever they first got to the museum. Is there a ship that runs and not tied into the whole network. But it never came up as the writers dumb shit down to move the plot conveniently forward. Consistent problem I had with the series, that I was out thinking the crew. E10 was very good though.

So 7 of 9 would be the kind of leader I'd follow, she was my favourite character in this series. Glad she is going to be in the new series. And damn is Jeri Ryan the sexiest 55 year old around? Also liked Sydney La Forge so those two are great for a new series. However I kept hoping Raffi and Jack Crusher would die, die, die. It sure seems that despite Crusher only being an ensign, the series is going to evolve primarily around his character line. So much good TV out there, not sure I'll find the time for the next one unless Worf and 7/9 get married or something. Could you imagine the two of them as partners in an intergalactic detective agency? That would be a show I'd definitely watch.

I never cared much for Raffi's character in seasons one and two, mainly because she came across as a whiny, angsty baby who was there to provide drama and conflict at the worst possible times. But I felt like they finally found a good place for her alongside Worf. Those two played well off each other...oddly I don't think she called Picard "J.L." one time this season, or if the two of them even had an exchange of any kind. I wasn't a huge fan of any of Picard's other original characters TBH (Captain Shaw being a gigantic exception), I thought Captain Rios was a'ight, but Jurati and Soji didn't really click. Ellnor drove me absolutely nuts...and if this Starfleet Academy series gets goin', I bet we'll be seeing a lot of him.

Jack didn't bother me any, I thought the rest of the crew of the Titanprise was fleshed out well enough too. Just don't do the "wunderkind" thing they tried with Wesley and that poor kid who was on Seaquest. Those characters just never really pan out IMHO. Something tells me they won't do that as Jack is resourceful but not an unheralded genius.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:39 pm 
King of Men

Jesus! This is like diving into the listening thread only about a fictional TV show! We can sure discuss stuff!

Speaking of fictional, one good thing about watching 19 seasons of Ancient Aliens is that you learn to pick out the cool stuff you like and leave all that strange posturing on the side (like gish galloping and its aliens every minute). I was never sure why people got so bent out of shape at that show.....it isn't giving you gospel its throwing out some pretty cool shit to check out and for you to question or discard. I have gone to quite a few of these places as a result and one wild theory is as good as another. Must be the same uber institutionally smart people who are convinced only they have all the answers to the universe. Keep up the great entertainment Graham and Robert!

I also loved that Leonard Nimoy show IN SEARCH OF when I was a kid. I think its pretty cool that William Shatner does UnXplained now too. So there is the thread tie in.

On that note look at this non-fictional bad ass rug:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KTAQQKE?ps ... ct_details

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:00 pm 

Oh that's a keeper. My wife would kill me if I got that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:43 pm 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
Oh that's a keeper. My wife would kill me if I got that.

Why? Its currently sitting on my basement floor and I need to find a home for it. My basement has limited other half influence.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:36 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Why? Its currently sitting on my basement floor and I need to find a home for it. My basement has limited other half influence.

:lol: I have plenty of leeway downstairs in the "man cave" but I know I'd get a ration of shit if I got that one.

Incidentally, how much you asking for? I've gone on a bit of a spending spree of late so I may not be able to foot the bill, but if it's available, I may as well give it a shot.

The good news is, if the child likes it, then she has no choice but to accept it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:03 pm 
King of Men

Sorry the one I have is not for sale. But they have it at Amazon. I meant I have to find a home for it in my basement.....It should go under the star wars pinball machine and would be super fitting with the hoth/empire strikes back theme....but I am an old man and will have to wait until the young stallions are around to pick up the machine.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:07 pm 

More extremely nerdy/nitpicky stuff incoming.

The uniforms are an interesting mix in seasons 2 and 3. I thought the ones in season 1 were garbage. In fact the costume design, which I normally don't care too much about one way or the other, was so bad, even by TNG standards. Picard shows up dressed up like an Indiana Jones villain in one scene, and puts on a beret and eye patch in another. Far worse than anything poor Wesley Crusher or Jake Sisko had to wear. Thankfully they did away with that shit pretty quickly. These are much better, and the combadges are a shoutout to the future that never actually happened in "All Good Things..."

These are obviously a takeoff of the very popular jumpsuits from the DS9/Voyager days but also have the tunic flap similar to the Kirk-era movies with the turtlenecks (those IMO were the very best).

The Discovery uniforms have been weird as hell, both the "precursor" blues and the wacky futuristic duds they're sporting now. But they're interesting for sure, apparently they utilize 3-D printing as part of the process these days.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:44 pm 

That's a pretty huge crush you got going with Star Trek when you pay attention to uniform styles. My appreciation goes about as far as seeing how Jeri fills her's out. ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 1:41 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Fogghorn wrote:
My appreciation goes about as far as seeing how Jeri fills her's out. ;)

Seconded.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 2:03 pm 
King of Men

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
My appreciation goes about as far as seeing how Jeri fills her's out. ;)

Seconded.

:lol: I can certainly geek out on this but that's next level Galaxy Quest out of the Professor! Boldy going where no OTPer has gone before!

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 5:09 pm 

Again, when I geek out about something I go allllll the way.

That's weird. I swear I had a post in here about Dr. Crusher's outfit and how it was yet another homage to The Wrath of Khan. Did it end up in another thread by mistake? Oh well...

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 5:33 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Again, when I geek out about something I go allllll the way.

That's weird. I swear I had a post in here about Dr. Crusher's outfit and how it was yet another homage to The Wrath of Khan. Did it end up in another thread by mistake? Oh well...

I saw it, it was here.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 5:37 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
I saw it, it was here.

Must be related to the site move

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 12:21 pm 

The greatest Star Trek movie of all time is not a Star Trek movie at all, and it's leaving Netflix on May 31st, so watch it before it's gone!

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/g ... tflix.html

Also, they're apparently working on a reboot, which leaves me very wary. How do you even proceed to match Alan Rickman's perfect performance?

And sorry, if you are not moved by this scene, I reject all your subsequent opinions on everything, even if you say nice things about me.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 2:51 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Now this, THIS I can agree with you on...

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 12:47 pm 
Old Man of the Post

My TL;DR summation of ST:P - don't bother, there won't be a S4. Nobody and I mean nobody wants that. Door is open for yet another spin-off.

I think Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is my favourite of the bunch. I'm actually looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Also heard some interesting rumors about another possible Star Wars spin-off: Heir to the Empire

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 4:21 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
My TL;DR summation of ST:P - don't bother, there won't be a S4. Nobody and I mean nobody wants that. Door is open for yet another spin-off.

I think Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is my favourite of the bunch. I'm actually looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Also heard some interesting rumors about another possible Star Wars spin-off: Heir to the Empire

My one big fear with Strange New Worlds is that they're gonna "prequel" it to death now. Some of that can be used masterfully, like how the S1 finale went down. But Enterprise was a years-long indicator on how not to do a prequel. Way too many times they shoehorned in stuff that essentially paralyzed the overall story, like when Captain Archer just magically intuits that there will someday be a Prime Directive, and commits an entire civilization to death even though he has the literal cure in his possession. The preview of SNW's new season shows more Captain (or maybe he's just a Commander at this point) Kirk, which I hope that's not a constant. Kirk should not be a major player going forward, the show isn't about him, and it's gonna water things down when he eventually shows up to take the reins from Pike at the end. In any event they did a great job of just doing new stuff we haven't seen before and having fun along the way. I hope that continues. We don't need everything to tie into the events we know are coming, and the whole "Pike knows he's going to be a human raisin in a wheelchair" thing had better finally be put to rest. Don't touch that again until the final episode.

FTR, Picard was always planned to run three seasons, Patrick Stewart said that before the show even aired. I'll respectfully disagree with you on S3, but I will agree that S1 was the worst Trek I've ever see, S2 was better but not by much. Again, it had its rough points but once they got going it was a thrill ride for longtime fans of the show and a proper sendoff for the TNG crew that was denied them in the movies.

And there WILL be a spinoff, we know Starfleet Academy will be a thing, no idea who will be in it (maybe Ellnor which...ehhhh I wasn't at all a fan of his). As to whether Legacy will take to the airwaves, only time will tell. Looking forward somewhat to Discovery's final season, speaking of shows finding ways to hold themselves back. They'd better just go for broke with this final season, no need to tie things off all nice and neat like they have with each previous installment.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next