OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:34 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

My company computer just changed or has offered Microsoft Edge over Chrome.

As most of you are way more tech savvy than I am, does anyone know anything about Edge? From what I am reading it is more private and a lot faster and takes up less space.

Do you think this will take over Chrome?

Just wondering if I should switch over.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:54 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Oh fuck no. Edge sucks. Mind you, I haven't tried it since they updated to that weird swirly logo, but I doubt it's any better than it was. It's Internet Explorer with a fresh coat of paint.

I've gone with either Chrome or Firefox in any of the machines I set up at home or at work (or Safari if it's an Apple product). The fact that Microsoft keeps trying to shove Edge down our throats at every given opportunity, even changing it to the default browser and PDF viewer without asking us makes me not want to use it. If you have confidence in your product, then you wouldn't have to resort to cheap tactics like that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:33 pm 

I too have been on Chrome and firefox for a long time, but reading up on this new version, and wasn't sure if its just marketing or truth, as they say its much better.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:54 pm 

Firefox doesn't track me. The is about 95% of my decision making right there, as long as the speed is reasonable and vulnerabilities kept to a minimum I'll be a Firefox guy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:31 pm 

Ok, sounds great.

Thanks for the advice!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:33 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

It's amazing how much Google tracks you! I don't check my personal stuff on my work computer but if I search for something at home or on my phone- I get ads in Chrome for it. So those fuckers know who you are and where you are anyway, and of course, what you're looking at. Scary shit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:34 pm 

I guess no matter which one of the many you use, they will all be tracking us.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:25 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Chris18 wrote:
It's amazing how much Google tracks you! I don't check my personal stuff on my work computer but if I search for something at home or on my phone- I get ads in Chrome for it. So those fuckers know who you are and where you are anyway, and of course, what you're looking at. Scary shit.
Yes -- and their end goal? To ensure we buy more shit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:08 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Logical Progression wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Yes -- and their end goal? To ensure we buy more shit.

Google- Buy More Shit!

Gotta admit it's a catchy slogan.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:02 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Scott 679 wrote:
I guess no matter which one of the many you use, they will all be tracking us.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Mozilla is a nonprofit that relies on donations, so Firefox should be relatively safe. If you don't wish for a search engine to track your entries, I'd recommend GoDuckGo, which was created for that very purpose.

You may also want to look into search engines provided by Antivirus subscriptions. Of course, I think it was AVG who just recently got into trouble for selling user data, so...

There is no 100% trusted service. You take chances every time you log on. But there are companies out there that appear to be legitimately trying to sell a product that doesn't actively track you, so IMO it's good to support outfits like this.