OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:51 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Not sure I want to give shout outs to supposed noticeables when plenty of common folk are dying because of this. I would say a vote for the existing thread but do what you want. Just because I don't get it doesn't mean it's any less important. How this place runs is like some compartmentalized CIA shit. Certain people do certain things.

But honestly you don't need to ask....that's really not how we work things around here...there is no supreme leader. We are all adults and as tenured participants you all have as much say as anyone else. More like a co-op. Thats how I see it anyway.

That's very libertarian shit of you and I agree but I have ulterior motives. I want Poke as admin so I get changed to mod temporally to change my name. Besides he comes up with better thread titles than I do. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:07 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Wait a minute...Av is not our leader?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:26 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Wait a minute...Av is not our leader?

lol, he is, he just doesn't know it yet!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:46 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/statu ... 9076602880

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:24 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/statu ... 9076602880

Holy shit balls.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:57 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Yeah... And that's just this week... How's that going to look in a month? In July?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:32 pm 
King of Men

Our orange man...leading by example.... :roll:

https://apnews.com/227fa2d005b3923157b9eb736c12e6c5

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:34 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Yeah... And that's just this week... How's that going to look in a month? In July?

Just waiting for Trump to start dog whistling this one. "You know I've been saying all along, this is going to be really hard on the economy, anything below 25% unemployment will be a big win for us, even 30% won't be that bad considering the roadblocks the Dems have been creating for us in Congress."

30% unemployment is my over/under. And it is possible there just won't be a floor to stop the crash. The strength of modern economics is transactional velocity along world wide supply chains. However that creates a weakness as their is little redundancy built into long complex financing and material creation, that historic redundancy would provide cushioning. Honestly feel like we're going to be forced into trying MMT. I hang way left but even I'm pretty nervous about the theory but trying it might be the only option.

into if you have some time to kill

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019 ... -explained

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:58 am 

So it seems likely that hoarders grabbing all the toilet paper are not as much of the problem as we think. Its actually consumers and manufacturing shortages. 40% of the TP market was commercial, you know big scratchy rolls at schools, malls, businesses. Now that we're all home we still use the same amount but expect consumer grade TP and not commercial, thus chronic shortages for the near future.

https://marker.medium.com/what-everyone ... 12e1358fe0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:20 pm 

So pension funds were already underfunded due to the 2008 financial crisis. So the wizards in charge decided they would incur some extra risks to make up the difference and focus on stocks and venture capital instead of safe low yield bonds. It's not working out so well and lot of people are going to be looking at govt bailout or working longer before retirement.

Quote:
But 20 years ago, 10-year treasury bonds paid about 5% interest a year, compared to around 1.2% today — implicitly, pension funds have collectively decided that they’re going to beat the market rather than lower their expectations.

It hasn’t really worked. The Economist estimated late last year that public pension funds were underfunded by $1.6 trillion.

https://marker.medium.com/coronavirus-i ... 301a2d09ab

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:47 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Interesting article on if the lockdown is actually working.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/covid-19 ... vj8Q%3D%3D

Curious to your thoughts on this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:54 pm 

Scott 679 wrote:

My thoughts? The best thing for people like this is everyone to drop bars of soap in their socks and invite him outside for a blanket party. He's every bit as dangerous as the anti-vaxxers are. His point is the data is bad. This is about the only thing he is right about, nobody from WHO or any other epidemiologist is claiming we have good data. Some countries started sooner, some later, some did extensive testing and others weak. Even in Germany, every state tests and reports differently. The problem is everyone is running around trying to put out fires and has no time to do rigorous testing. And its hard to worry about quality assurance of testing when your house is on fire and expecting it at this point is unreasonable. So he cherry picks weak data to argue the data is weak. Nobody is claiming the data is great, they're just doing the best they can with the data they have, which is what they should do.

From another article he wrote.
Quote:
We didn't beat SARS, MERS, H1N1 and H5N1 by shutting down society. We developed herd imunity, followed common sense protocols and eventually developed a vaccine.

These were fundamentally different. SARS displayed symptoms almost immediately when contagious. This made it far easier to track and isolate individuals. Even with the common flu you will only be contagious for a day or two prior to exhibiting symptoms. SARS-COV-2 you can be contagious for up to 14 days before displaying symptoms or be totally asymptomatic but contagious. This is close to the worst case scenario that epidemiologists have feared for decades. Luckily it's not a super contagious bug like measles but it has such a long hidden life cycle that gives it so many opportunities to find new hosts.

He's also wrong when he says we developed herd immunity. We didn't the diseases were traced, and isolated from the rest of the population as they were much easier to recognize and thus trace.

He cherry picks the data like all flat earther; anti-vaxxer; anti-nuke; anti-GMO; humanity doesn't cause global warming types do. When their is an overwhelming scientific consensus I'll always go with the scientists. They don't always get it right, but their batting average for being right is far greater than any desk top critic with an internet connection.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:46 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Agreed Fogg. Seems like the dude is just attacking the lack of coordinated data collection. This is a fucking pandemic, not a planned dissertation project. Granted, he makes a good point, that such data should be collected in a more organized way in the future, but that's a suggestion for the future. And getting the US States to do something the same way is difficult enough. Getting nations speaking different languages and having very different styles of health care (private, socialized, etc), doesn't sound like an easily achieved goal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:49 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Fogghorn wrote:
Scott 679 wrote:

My thoughts? The best thing for people like this is everyone to drop bars of soap in their socks and invite him outside for a blanket party. He's every bit as dangerous as the anti-vaxxers are. His point is the data is bad. This is about the only thing he is right about, nobody from WHO or any other epidemiologist is claiming we have good data. Some countries started sooner, some later, some did extensive testing and others weak. Even in Germany, every state tests and reports differently. The problem is everyone is running around trying to put out fires and has no time to do rigorous testing. And its hard to worry about quality assurance of testing when your house is on fire and expecting it at this point is unreasonable. So he cherry picks weak data to argue the data is weak. Nobody is claiming the data is great, they're just doing the best they can with the data they have, which is what they should do.

From another article he wrote.
Quote:
We didn't beat SARS, MERS, H1N1 and H5N1 by shutting down society. We developed herd imunity, followed common sense protocols and eventually developed a vaccine.

These were fundamentally different. SARS displayed symptoms almost immediately when contagious. This made it far easier to track and isolate individuals. Even with the common flu you will only be contagious for a day or two prior to exhibiting symptoms. SARS-COV-2 you can be contagious for up to 14 days before displaying symptoms or be totally asymptomatic but contagious. This is close to the worst case scenario that epidemiologists have feared for decades. Luckily it's not a super contagious bug like measles but it has such a long hidden life cycle that gives it so many opportunities to find new hosts.

He's also wrong when he says we developed herd immunity. We didn't the diseases were traced, and isolated from the rest of the population as they were much easier to recognize and thus trace.

He cherry picks the data like all flat earther; anti-vaxxer; anti-nuke; anti-GMO; humanity doesn't cause global warming types do. When their is an overwhelming scientific consensus I'll always go with the scientists. They don't always get it right, but their batting average for being right is far greater than any desk top critic with an internet connection.

Exactly my thoughts Kyle! And using the comparison to SARS, which people had symptoms almost right away!

The one thing that has stuck with me, and I can't remember which one of us posted it was the 10 times factor.

You will pass flu on to 1.4 people. Multiply that by 10 and you get 15.

You will pass Covid on to 3 people. Multiply that by 10 and you get 59,000

Plus the fact that you can have Covid for 14 days before showing symptoms.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:43 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Eric - how did Quebec go from about 200 confirmed cases to almost 8,000 in about two weeks - that's more than half the confirmed cases in Canada? Is that just the lag in testing? BC looks promising but I worry that we aren't testing nearly enough... Only about about 35,000 tests (1,200 positive) as of last week...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:50 pm 
Big in Japan

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Eric - how did Quebec go from about 200 confirmed cases to almost 8,000 in about two weeks - that's more than half the confirmed cases in Canada? Is that just the lag in testing? BC looks promising but I worry that we aren't testing nearly enough... Only about about 35,000 tests (1,200 positive) as of last week...

Yes, exactly. They started testing more and adding presumed cases to the list (people who are pretty sure they have it but can deal so are staying home and not getting tested).

Another reason: Quebec has its spring break a week before the rest of the country, so all those snowbirds came back from Florida and fucked things up for the rest of us before Ontario and elsewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:56 pm 
Old Man of the Post

That makes sense, especially spring break. They locked things down here the week before spring break... Being on the island has made me a little paranoid that things here are quiet... Too quiet... 76 on the entire island so far...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:16 pm 
King of Men

Lo and behold! The Hamptons coming up again!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/05/opinions ... index.html

Quote:
The top 1% of US earners can do that even better than the rest of us. Some of those in the Hamptons seem even to be enjoying themselves. Some are playing golf while others are gardening and comparing notes about hygiene. One person I know has her family's food driven out from New York City every day. It's not the same experience as walking past the hospital tents in Central Park or the boarded-up stores. And it can be harshly antithetical to the experience of an essential worker who must take public transport to get to a hospital or grocery store for a day's work.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:25 pm 
OTPoliceman

harmfuljays wrote:
Lo and behold! The Hamptons coming up again!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/05/opinions ... index.html

Quote:
The top 1% of US earners can do that even better than the rest of us. Some of those in the Hamptons seem even to be enjoying themselves. Some are playing golf while others are gardening and comparing notes about hygiene. One person I know has her family's food driven out from New York City every day. It's not the same experience as walking past the hospital tents in Central Park or the boarded-up stores. And it can be harshly antithetical to the experience of an essential worker who must take public transport to get to a hospital or grocery store for a day's work.

Remember professor Mark Blyth stating, "The Hamptons are not a defensible position. The Hamptons are on a low lying beach. Eventually the people will come for you."

Proof that the vast majority of the 1%ers aren't all that intelligent, they inherited their wealth.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:35 pm 

ahh fucking fuck fuck. They're running out of drugs patients need for using ventilators. And from what I read here it seems that getting them will actually be a much harder problem than building out 1, 000 000's of ventilators.

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/6/21209589/c ... s-covid-19

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next