OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:20 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Fogghorn wrote:
If this is right, then its the most positive piece of science in the fight against corona virus. It also makes a possible vaccine far more likely.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/5 ... he-disease

Thanks for the article Fogg, as I had read that a week ago, but then couldn't find the article. Yes South Korea research had shown that people getting Covid 19 a second time by testing positive, was in fact the dead virus in them.

Again, this is very encouraging if true!

Also, scientists in China believe they have found a drug that can cure the pandemic without a vaccine.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medica ... li=AAggNb9

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:21 am 
King of Men

Interesting....

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/st ... ality-rate

Quote:
A week ago, as the US began to reopen, the CDC put out five scenarios for how the coronavirus crisis could play out across the country. This “pandemic planning” document is being used throughout the federal government and is meant to help public officials make decisions about when and how to reopen, according to the CDC.

In addition to providing various rates of hospitalizations and infections, the CDC gave new estimates of the total fatality rate of the virus, ranging from about 0.1% (its least deadly scenario) to 0.8% (its deadliest scenario). The agency also cited a “best estimate” of 0.26%.

And even in the worst case scenario this is no different than the death rate for the seasonal flu. Are these figures by design to further the reopening agenda? I'll let each individual ask themselves that question.

I believe WHO in the beginning was calling it 4% and greater.

That's bad news for keeping people indoors, out of crowds, the 1.5%, and those that have already lost everything to the financial collapse. But good news for the folks that can't stay put, won't wear masks, and astute players of the game.

I suspect this whole thing to be swept under the rug shortly as we race back to full economy. For better of for worse I guess we will see.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:23 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Not sure about the rest of North America but felt like people really let everything go this last weekend around here and decided restriction lifting meant free to do what ever I want again.

Guess in a week or two it will show in the numbers if it is a big set back.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:42 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I'm not surprised in the slightest that people practically fell over one another trying to rush back to normality after being cooped up in quarantine for months. Doesn't make it any less irresponsible but it is human nature.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:15 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I went out last night for work. I haven't been out much at all lately. I was really let down with how much traffic there was. I think it was worse than normal for rush hour in my town. And we had it pretty heavily around here.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:38 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Chris18 wrote:
I went out last night for work. I haven't been out much at all lately. I was really let down with how much traffic there was. I think it was worse than normal for rush hour in my town. And we had it pretty heavily around here.

Likewise, I had to go up island (Duncan) to pick up the last two hammocks and I was surprised at how much traffic was on the road midday on a Thursday. And even fewer people than last week had a mask on in the store.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:52 pm 
OTP Clown

Nova Scotia is back to normal for the most part. We have had very few cases not attached to travel or one old folks home.

Until it starts showing up again, which it will, I am really just going to enjoy not wearing a mask going out and about, driving my car, going to the beach and hanging out with family. When things get bad again, which I anticipate they will, I imagine it will hit here last. Aside from the territories we were the last province in the country to have a case and it didn't go that crazy here.

I for one am just tired of this.

A lot of what's happening here is not effective, unnecessary and little more than virtue signalling these days

I stopped going out on the 5th of March. a lot of people here were two and three weeks behind that.

So for now there's sunshine. And in a week? I'm going to eat a burger on a patio at a restaurant. I can't wait.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:51 am 
King of Men

An interesting article on the man forcing Americans back to work and liability immunity for corporations.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... sk/612385/

Quote:
The expert advice about reopening is simple: The economy won’t really get going again unless Americans feel secure. So long as people face enormous risks, they won’t be confident about investing in new skills or new businesses or big purchases or, indeed, even about showing up to work. A safety net that reassures workers they won’t face devastation isn’t a barrier to economic opportunity. It’s a precondition for it.

This isn’t something unique to a pandemic. It’s always been true, and the countries that have most successfully combined free markets and social insurance—particularly the Scandinavian societies of northern Europe—have proved it. These countries have big welfare states, strong economies, and happy, healthy, highly educated citizens who accept and thrive amid the creative destruction of capitalist markets. “Not only are sound safety nets popular,” the former libertarian Will Wilkinson has written, “but they also increase the public’s tolerance for the dislocations of a dynamic free-market economy.”

The flip side is that a dynamic free-market economy without sound safety nets breeds backlash. And if that backlash doesn’t deliver social insurance—because, say, the party in power is hostile to the welfare state—it will deliver social discord instead. Denying risks doesn’t make them disappear. It just puts democracy and markets on a collision course.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:14 pm 

From the NY Times.

Quote:
Wuhan, China, finished its push to test almost all of its 11 million residents. Officials said they found about 300 infections, all asymptomatic.

Take it for what it's worth. I feel it's encouraging news.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:04 pm 
King of the One-Liner

The US new cases per day numbers are almost back to peak and likely will surpass that next weekend.

Do they shut down again or just let it run it's course? Lack of officials talk of the rising numbers is concerning.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:14 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
The US new cases per day numbers are almost back to peak and likely will surpass that next weekend.

Do they shut down again or just let it run it's course? Lack of officials talk of the rising numbers is concerning.

The rise is mostly in red-voting states. Correlation doesn't equal causation. But sometimes...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:47 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Michigan is one of 3 states to have probably contained the COVID-19 virus. The other 2 states are New York and New Jersey. Thank you, Governor Whitmer. She took a lot of shit from Trump and the right-wing militias and stayed strong on following science and strong social policy. She has behaved and acted as a real leader is supposed to in a situation like this. Funny how those other imbeciles who were criticising her previously are now silent.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/06/17/covid-19-modeling-site-michigan-on-track-contain-virus/3205580001/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:20 pm 

Our moronic governor here in Nebraska, whom one of my friends referred to accurately as a "Dime Store Lex Luthor," promptly told officials in the state that if they mandated masks that they'd be denied federal COVID-19 relief funds.

I've mentioned this before, but are so insanely lucky we have good mayors in the two biggest cities in this state. They at least put down directed health initiatives to try and stem the tide. Also, and this is probably even more important, Nebraska's largely rural and has a small population, so there hasn't been a huge impact in terms of infections like we've seen in more dense populations. Of course one of the smaller towns that DGAF about the virus had an insane outbreak that outpaced those urban areas in terms of infections per capita.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:40 pm 
King of Men

Well we had our first family member pass to COVID today. My wife is having quite the day....Avalanche lose....20 minutes later her uncle is gone. My wife's family is a hispanic culture that tends to be a let nature take its course in God's hands kind of family. And unfortunately this was a direct result of family gatherings of many people. Her uncle already had COPD, diabetes and was 70 plus....all those factors ended up just being too much for him in the end and today he was removed from his breathing machine after losing his fight with COVID. Travel well and be released.

A zoom passing is very lonely and strange. Family closure is also difficult as there can't be a traditional funeral either.

This is a very interesting disease and I have now known many people that have had it with varying degrees mostly of nothing to the rare case of dying.

I guess the moral of the story is that the disease is very real for at risk people. And now some of his relatives have to live with the fact that they directly contributed to his infection and ultimately his passing (if that even occurs to them). On the flip side...at risk people need to limit who they see and stay away from large gatherings with people they don't know well (personal accountability). If we all choose to ignore this then the consequences are losing susceptible loved ones. Even if its not going to affect most of us we still need to be courteous meat bags and wear masks/practice safe distancing around at risk people or in gatherings as we don't know everyone's condition.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:01 am 

Sorry for your loss Jay.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:25 am 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Sad news - sorry for your families loss. The COVID is deadly for anyone with the vulnerabilities. A bit of a resurge up here in BC with infections though thankfully no surge in fatalities by the same rate.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:40 am 
Old Man of the Post

So very sorry for your loss, Jay.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:02 am 
OTP Historian

Damn, sorry for your loss, Jay :(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:29 am 
King of Men

Guys...appreciate it but you don't need to do that. This is my wife's family and really the only point of me posting this was to point out the susceptibility of the vulnerable population regardless of how one "feels" about the virus.

Especially for those like I encountered yesterday......self entitled white lady in Sprouts who refused to wear a mask. The ONLY one.....who proclaimed that germs were good for her......yeah I get it for you they might be.....but that's not the point...and I really wish people like that would stop being such f'n knobs in public. On the flip side, I am not going to go all Karen on those folks because really as long as you stay away from me and respect the distance I am good with it. But the moment you enter my personal space and open your people pleaser we are going to have problems.

Ultimately once again it comes down to a common respect factor.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:19 am 
OTP Clown

harmfuljays wrote:
Ultimately once again it comes down to a common respect factor.

This!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next