OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:15 pm 
King of Men

Stand by America is about to be No. 1 at something! Should overtake Italy within the next hour and China by the end of the day.......

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:39 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
I suppose one of the few good things going on right now is the huge upsurge in pet adoptions and fostering.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/coronavir ... ay-go-bust

There are obvious concerns, especially when the restrictions are lifted and life returns to normal, but for now, so many dogs that would usually be on death row or stuck in a shelter have homes.

We were fostering a GSD/hound mix puppy before all the shit hit the fan and she's still here. It's a program where they actually have inmates in the prisons train them initially and then she enters service dog training after that. Unfortunately both her spaying and her entry into the program have both been delayed because of the outbreak. The good news is, since I'm one of the bosses at work I can take her to work with me and she just tags along with me at the office.

Interesting, SPCA has cut its adoption rate in half here as pet adoptions have dropped. Italy allows people to go out to their doctor, once a week for groceries and to walk their dog. Seems like dog owners are letting neighbours walk their dog as an excuse to go out, police were noticing same dog with multiple people. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:42 pm 

So Alberta, Quebec and PEI are giving $1000 1st offense fines to people who don't practice safe physical distancing. Vancouver is the same plus $50k fines for businesses. For all those who don't care about their health or the health of others, perhaps this will get them to pay attention.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:59 pm 
Big in Japan

Montreal's West End is the epicentre of Montreal's COVID outbreak. Unfortunately, I live at the ass end of that particular administrative area, so as of this weekend there's a distinct possibility I won't be allowed to leave my hood, and no one will be allowed to enter.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:48 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Stand by America is about to be No. 1 at something! Should overtake Italy within the next hour and China by the end of the day.......

Congratulations you did it. We all had faith in America as the true leader of the free world. You were for awhile seriously contested by the Chinese but we all knew that American individualism, competitive spirit, and outside the box leadership thinking would win out and put those uppity commies in their place. You're #1, you're #1! :toot:

Okay so think to myself I'm an asshole for thinking this, and writing it is even worse. People are going to die because your leadership is truly the bottom of the barrel, then again its your leadership aren't you all a wee bit at fault, then my mind runs to all those with no agency, disenfranchised and how this is not at all their fault. And finally it just sucks, never should have happened to be this bad. This pandemic sends my brain in many different directions with a real mixture of contempt, sadness, amusement, edification of heroics and just utter confusion and anger. And oh yeah, did I mention fear!

I just mostly hope out of all this unnecessary pain, somehow American finds a will and a way to fix itself.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:35 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Scott 679 wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

I read some idiot licking Walmart shelves got arrested for making terroristic threats. These fuckers should get locked away, preferably where their idiocy doesn't infect anyone else.

Read about that too. What a fucking moron!

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/ma ... li=AAggFp5

Then, there're these COVIDiots... :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLEwpZLgBYg

Sometimes, the Darwin Awards are too easy...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:02 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Fogghorn wrote:
I just mostly hope out of all this unnecessary pain, somehow American finds a will and a way to fix itself.

Bless your naive, innocent, little heart. We don't fix ourselves. We shoot shit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:55 pm 

We have sports again. I think we can all use a little healthy athletic competition

https://digg.com/2020/please-enjoy-this ... their-food

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:19 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Fogghorn wrote:
We have sports again. I think we can all use a little healthy athletic competition

https://digg.com/2020/please-enjoy-this ... their-food

Bravo!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:06 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Heard that a second Avs player has tested positive for COVID-19... Per Athletic...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:33 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Heard that a second Avs player has tested positive for COVID-19... Per Athletic...

Yeah I heard that too. Not shocking in the slightest. There will be more. And more. And more.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:00 am 
King of Men

I had to go out to buy fertilizer for the lawn yesterday. No online ordering there. I really wish these stores would implement curbside pickup but no.......so I went to the local ace decked out in my gloves and N95 mask. I was in and out of that store in about 2 minutes and 30 seconds (shouldn't be Mofos browsing at this point). There were others in the store (no gloves, no masks) but I maintained a good 10 ft away in line. The cashiers were wearing gloves and the only interaction I had was taking a receipt from the cashier which I later regretted. I was surprised at the amount of people out, just puttering about still. I suppose its not really going to set in until late April early May.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:06 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

harmfuljays wrote:
I had to go out to buy fertilizer for the lawn yesterday. No online ordering there. I really wish these stores would implement curbside pickup but no.......so I went to the local ace decked out in my gloves and N95 mask. I was in and out of that store in about 2 minutes and 30 seconds (shouldn't be Mofos browsing at this point). There were others in the store (no gloves, no masks) but I maintained a good 10 ft away in line. The cashiers were wearing gloves and the only interaction I had was taking a receipt from the cashier which I later regretted. I was surprised at the amount of people out, just puttering about still. I suppose its not really going to set in until late April early May.

Depends on where you are. In NY we are in full panic mode for most people. But there are still those who let their kids go out, 10 kids in a 4 person boat... Photos to prove it. How fucking stupid can you be?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:20 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Pokecheque wrote:
the Cunning Linguist wrote:

Yeah I heard that too. Not shocking in the slightest. There will be more. And more. And more.

There shouldn't be a huge spike.... we're all in quarantine right now. Might have been a few cases as people travelled back to their main homes. Heard the Avs ones were from tests that were really late in getting back results (like, a week after the fact).

Will be interesting with players who went back to like, Sweden or Russia or whatever. Especially Sweden which has taken a pretty weak response to this so far.

EDIT: I said this and then after posting got note that a 5th player has tested positive but is basically recovered now (again, test results trickled in late, not sure who/what team he plays for).

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:44 pm 

reasons for optimism in humanity

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-covid-19

actually the oxvent idea is amazing. Ventilator for under 1000 quid.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:06 am 
King of Men

As a reminder.....just because you are staying at home and flattening the curve doesn't mean the virus is going anywhere anytime soon. This is going to be long and this lifestyle is going to be ongoing until a vaccine becomes mainstream or the virus itself runs its course. This is primarily for the Mensas that think we will be back in action by Easter....I do not think that applies to any of our Mensas around here.

The Spanish Flu had 3 waves. With the second being the worst.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resour ... -waves.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resour ... e-1918.htm

Wise words from Samuel L Jackson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UKVzr7v1gM

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:14 am 

Poke, since you're basically our board admin/Daddy on here even if you don't have the official title, I'm nominating you to make a call.

Ellis Marsalis dies from Covid 19 - https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... y-has-died

Adam Schlesinger - https://slate.com/culture/2020/04/adam- ... a=taps_top

Do we just keep adding to the Belegosi thread? Start a new thread specific for Covid? Or just ignore as we'll all be overwhelmed? I lean to new thread myself but not sure how everyone else feels.

And oh yeah Poke is boss! :D :rock: :viking:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:30 am 
King of the One-Liner

New thread seems right. Unfortunately it will end up being more than a few.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:46 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Agree with a new thread.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:50 pm 
King of Men

Not sure I want to give shout outs to supposed noticeables when plenty of common folk are dying because of this. I would say a vote for the existing thread but do what you want. Just because I don't get it doesn't mean it's any less important. How this place runs is like some compartmentalized CIA shit. Certain people do certain things.

But honestly you don't need to ask....that's really not how we work things around here...there is no supreme leader. We are all adults and as tenured participants you all have as much say as anyone else. More like a co-op. Thats how I see it anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next