OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:32 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15995845

I'm a geography addict, and volcanoes are my crack. Iceland is preparing for the big one.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:01 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Do you like the movie Joe vs. the Volcano?

If so- you're the only person who does.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:56 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Christ, Iceland again!?

Between volcanoes and the banking crisis, it kinda sucks to be from the Land of Bjork.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:16 pm 
Big in Japan

Av-merican wrote:
Between volcanoes and the banking crisis, it kinda sucks to be from the Land of Bjork.

Between volcanoes, the banking crisis and Bjork, it kinda sucks to be from the Land of Sigur Ros.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:04 pm 

NOVA is doing a special on volcanoes right now. My Sunday is set. Screw NFL Football.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:49 pm 

Was pretty kickass. Things I learned: a Japanese expert has created a mapping technique for the interior of volcanoes, essentially by catching cosmic rays that pass through the volcano. This can better determine the size of the volcano's throat and therefore the levels of magma flows for potential eruptions. So far, the technology has only been used in Japan and has recently been used at Vesuvius in Italy.

Vesuvius isn't the only volcano affecting Naples. The whole bay is actually a massive crater of an ancient volcano, whose dormancy is in question. The ground around Naples is continually on the rise, and they don't know if it is due to a buildup of gas causing the uplift under the sea bed or if it is indeed a buildup of magma that will cause an enormous eruption that will basically obliterate the entire area and cause massive climate change in Europe. The last time this volcano erupted was in prehistoric times, so they are doing drills down two miles deep to see if there is a bed of magma of this mega-volcano or if it is just gases.

In the Pac NW, they think they might be able to predict the next eruption of Mt. Rainier (aka Tacoma) via the material makeup of various mountain streams which are measured in temperature at 70 degrees F, rather than the typical 30-something you'd expect. These hot mountain streams have changing makeup, and they aren't sure if there is magma spilling out into the streams or if it is all just gases. Some growing communities in the Tacoma 'burbs are at high risk of submersion from an eruption via mudflows, as there is evidence that a Rainier eruption would cause more mudflow damage than any other volcano. They've developed a pretty elaborate evacuation plan in case, the first of its kind.

Also, if the Yellowstone Supervolcano ever erupted again, the entire mid-west and Priaries would probably become a desert and 1 million people would starve. So yeah, hopefully that doesn't happen. Flat volcanoes like Yellowstone are particularly difficult for scientists right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:38 am 
Old Man of the Post

Cool.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:48 pm 
King of Men

Maybe we could just talk about Geology......Every time I see these I just wonder....wow! that must have been some collision!

BTW this topic is f'n awesome. I missed that NOVA show. I hope they have it on again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:44 pm 

Where's that pic from, Jay? And am I seeing things or are there houses within that outcrop that are camouflaged?

Full disclosure: My original major in college was Physical Geography, but for some reason that meant a lot of hydrology early on which bored me to death to the point where I switched majors. Maybe I should have had a big perspective evaluation at that time and tried to get into volcanology.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:05 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

saskhab wrote:
Where's that pic from, Jay? And am I seeing things or are there houses within that outcrop that are camouflaged?

Full disclosure: My original major in college was Physical Geography, but for some reason that meant a lot of hydrology early on which bored me to death to the point where I switched majors. Maybe I should have had a big perspective evaluation at that time and tried to get into volcanology.

Those are the Flatirons in Boulder, CO. Quite beautiful in person.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:01 pm 

I actually went to see Eyjafjallajökull when it was popping a couple years ago. The most amazing natural even I think I've ever seen. I'm a huge Volcano buff and am hoping to make a trip to Africa to see Nyiragongo Crater before I head home.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:21 pm 
King of Men

Well I am going to march around Kilauea again here shortly. Hopefully I can contribute pics to this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:42 am 
King of Men

Bruce anything in particular you want me to Photo or Video at Volcano National Park? I've got some Pics of the Crater last time when we were flying over in the Heli. But this time we are going to hike to West Ka'ili'ili. There's been some quakes there in the past few days but no active flows.

http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/u ... _far_L.pdf

If you are into any particular Geo formation that you want to see just let me know and I will try my best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:32 am 

Kickass. What fascinates me about that vent are the slow lava flows that you can make close approaches if you can, so if you're lucky obviously give it a go. Essentially there's a lake made of magma just draining out via various vents in a continuous eruption, some into the ocean for a spectacular scene. I think there are some pretty unique geographical features along the ocean as a result, as you get the effect of wave erosion combining with lava deposits.

When people I know go to Hawaii, I'm always disappointed to hear they didn't go to the big island. To me, what the fuck's the point?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:35 am 
King of Men

ok very good that's why we are hiking out to West Ka'ili'ili. I'd like to see that for myself. I'll post some pics...and try not to fall in.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:57 am 
King of Men

Quote:
Eruption Update:

March 5, 2012 update: On Kīlauea's east rift zone, surface lava flows were slowly advancing down the pali over the past week. As of Thursday, March 1, flows were active in the middle part of Royal Gardens subdivision, at an elevation of about 180 m (600 ft). These flows are following the west margin of earlier Peace Day flows, which may bring them close to the last few standing structures in Royal Gardens. There are no active flows on the coastal plain and there is no active ocean entry, however there have been reports of visible glows on the distant pali (cliffs) from the Kalapana Viewing area.

Sorry man.....I'll be checking it out anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:05 pm 
King of Men

Well I marched and drove all around the place. I have to say seeing the inactive flows on the Chain of Craters road is absolutely amazing. The Big island itself is one hell of a place. Definitely my favorite island.Image

http://www.purpleroofs.com/newsletters2 ... rk-map.jpg

The Kilauea Iki Crater is the one I was in. They obviously won't let you go in the main crater of Kilaueua but its pretty awe inspiring to know that you are only separated by one crater wall. The Thurston Lava tube was pretty cool too.

I am really glad I got to explore the park this time around. Apparently the East Riff created from a collapse of the Pu`u `O`o vent was flowing but I didn't find out that you couldn't view active flows from the park until it was already too late. There were Kona brewery beers to drink and we were out of time for the day.

For any of you that get a chance its well worth it. Just amazing and puts a grand perspective on what little significance we have in the short time we are given. Party on Bruddas!

I've got more pics for this thread if you all are interested.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:19 am 

Well, good news for my Pac NW trip, I suppose... all volcanoes (St. Helens, Rainier, Hood) are at very low activity right now.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:20 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Great Topic! Loved volcanoes as a kid - lots of National Geographic features that were just mesmerizing and of course built more than a few baking soda and vinegar models. Now that I live in the earthquake zone I'm not as keen on them. :ohdear:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:35 pm 

So a few weeks back I went on a couple of dates with a woman who I quite dug, but she was off on an internship at a farm on Hawaii for a couple months. We said we'd continue chatting, and meet up when she's back. Well, I'm thinking she might be back a bit sooner than that:

http://www.weather.com/news/hawaii-lava ... e-20141027

The cemetery/street that is being overflown is literally like one mile from the retreat. Whether it takes out the farmland or buildings is in doubt, but it looks like the road to Hilo (and society at large) will be overflown, so I have to expect they've been evacuated overnight or this morning.

This lava flow was something she knew about going there, but it looks like it's picked up speed since.