OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:33 pm 

It's been awhile, but IIRC there were some Star Trek fans here? If not, my bad :)

Just watched the Star Trek: Picard premiere. Maybe it's because I really dislike Discovery and its version of Star Trek, but it felt great watching a more Roddenberry Star Trek universe with actual character development.

Really hoping for a Guinan appearance - liked that relationship.

Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:50 am 
Big in Japan

Hey!

I watched it last night. Not the biggest fan of the casually violent action packed Star Trek reboots of the Abrams/Kurzman era, but with Patrick Stewart as this show's moral centre I trust Picard will have the heart of a Trek.

So far I'm intrigued but need to see more. The pilot was quite Blade Runnery.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:51 am 
Big in Japan

And Guinan should be there season 2: https://twitter.com/TheView/status/1220 ... 68897?s=19

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:25 am 
King of Men

We might be getting old but your memory hasn't failed yet BCG!

Saw it last night as well.....may sound geeky but I was jumping up and down a bit.....and the wife told me to shut up after I said make it so, tea earl grey hot, and engage..30 times.

Trailer at the end seemed to indicate characters like seven of nine and other "synthetics."

I am definitely up for a more mature experience (like the Expanse) unlike the Mandalorian (which was good towards the end).

He named his dog # 1.....f'n awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:00 am 
Big in Japan

harmfuljays wrote:
Trailer at the end seemed to indicate characters like seven of nine and other "synthetics."

It'll be interesting to see where Borg fall on the human/synthetic line, since they're basically both/neither.

So the last scene (spoiler) inside the re-made Borg ship, what's the deal with that?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:51 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Very intriguing beginning. I was totally on board no matter what because of Patrick Stewart.

I kinda wish they'd quit making these new Treks so damned dark. Even DS9 knew how to have fun. So on top of the destruction of Romulus (mentioned in the 2009 Star Trek reboot film) we now know some rogue androids completely destroyed Mars and killed nearly 100,000 people and for some reason even though we're in the late 24th century, the planet is STILL on fire (how is that even possible?).

Interesting that we see Picard in the same place he was at in "All Good Things...", largely alone in his vineyard, except in this timeline, he has a Pit Bull and two Romulan refugees for company (funny side note, the Pittie's real name is DeNiro and he's a rescue, but both the director and showrunner Michael Chabon said on the latest Ready Room segment that he is a sweet dog but a lousy actor, and that they basically cut him from a few scenes he was supposed to be in :laugh: ). This will get no sympathy from Brent Spiner, who really hated having to do scenes with Data's cat Spot.

As I said to Erik via IG message, I'm glad that now Star Trek: Nemesis is no longer the last story, because that was such an insanely shitty way to end things. Now the whole thing with Irving Berlin's "Blue Skies" has even more poignancy than it did in the film.

My favorite scene was Picard going into his own archive room, and seeing all the stuff there. The dagger from "Darmok," the Captain Picard Day banner from "The Pegasus", just gave me chills.

And yes I'm very much curious about whatever the hell this Romulan Borg Cube is.

It's funny...but one thing Trek never, EVER did right was use the Romulans properly. We kept hearing about the war they fought that triggered the founding of the Federation but apart from a couple good episodes here and there, there was lots of talk and hype about the Romulans, nothing ever actually happened with them. They even hyped Nemesis as the film that would prominently featured the Romulans. NOPE...it was these fucking "Remans" we didn't care anything about and a super-young Tom Hardy playing Captain Picard's clone for some weird reason. NOW maybe we'll get to see Romulans doing something of consequence.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:59 am 
Big in Japan

Less has always been more with the Romulans. Reunification with Spock was obviously a classic two-parter and I remember being so excited in DS9 when Section 31 used a rare trip to Romulus for reconnaissance.

Even the Original Series episodes with Romulans presented them as mysterious, hardly ever seen and it was a shock that they looked like Vulcans.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:20 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Less has always been more with the Romulans. Reunification with Spock was obviously a classic two-parter and I remember being so excited in DS9 when Section 31 used a rare trip to Romulus for reconnaissance.

Even the Original Series episodes with Romulans presented them as mysterious, hardly ever seen and it was a shock that they looked like Vulcans.

"Balance of Terror" remains my favorite original series episode.

Also, watching both them and the Cardassians get wiped out by the Dominion in one fell swoop in "The Die is Cast" was beyond awesome.

I'll admit being a little underwhelmed with "Reunification" (I just never got into Sela as a villain) but have enjoyed it more with subsequent viewings.

Oh, and Nero was a solid villain in the 2009 film. Too bad the follow up with such a complete stinker.

I dunno...if they weren't ever really gonna go big with the Romulans, then I would've appreciated less hype. The final episode of the first season where they declared their triumphant return was followed up by...not much of anything. Again, very cool moments I can recall here and there, but I would've appreciated more if that's what was being hinted at.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:21 am 

Episode 2 didn't offer a ton except revealing exactly what happened at Utopia Planitia and what that weird Borg cube is in Romulan space. Is that Hugh's cube?

Oh, and I don't love the new Starfleet uniforms. I mean...they're not terrible, I was just expecting something other than what looks like a melding of the TNG and DS9 getups. What's interesting is that the com-badges are very similar to the ones we glimpsed in the many alternate futures that were showcased on past shows (DS9's "The Visitor, TNG's "All Good Things...", etc.). Obviously Starfleet is not the focus of this show...so in the end it's not like they needed to put much focus on it. Side note: FOR ONCE the admiral's uniform actually looks really good.

We also know that from "All Good Things..." that something's wrong with Picard, and it may end up destroying his brain. They hinted at it again here. I'm guessing the good captain will not necessarily make it to the end of his own series.

Now...we're going to see what makes or breaks this show for me. Can they put together a good supporting cast? Picard gets to put together a ragtag crew to go and find this mysterious android-who-might-not-be-an-android, I hope they're at least fun. Again, it's Patrick Stewart holding it all together, so it can't be terrible.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:18 pm 

Awesome about Guinan! What strikes me the most is the quality of acting in TNG - it might also be accentuated by the fact I've been watching Voyager lately....

I thought it was a good touch incorporating Bruce Maddox storyline from ST:TNG - Measure of a Man/Data's Day.

This whole series feels like a mix of Roddenberry's optimism with the modern era's cynicism. I'm hoping for more optimism.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:20 pm 

Whoops! Just noticed the TV show thread.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:20 am 

BCG wrote:
Awesome about Guinan! What strikes me the most is the quality of acting in TNG - it might also be accentuated by the fact I've been watching Voyager lately....

I thought it was a good touch incorporating Bruce Maddox storyline from ST:TNG - Measure of a Man/Data's Day.

This whole series feels like a mix of Roddenberry's optimism with the modern era's cynicism. I'm hoping for more optimism.

Well, I feel like that's kind of the point. Or at least I am HOPING that's the point. That Picard represents an ideal that has somehow been lost by Starfleet. And he's somehow going to singlehandedly bring it back.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:24 am 

And I think this is definitely a show that deserves its own thread.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:13 am 
Big in Japan

Loved episode two. The show is starting to make more sense. I will say my wife isn't as familiar with Trek and is totally confused. It's a fan service show.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:29 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Was hesitant to engage in a Star Trek reboot, but because of Patrick Stewart and my love for this original series, gave the pilot a shot and am on board! Guess I am just a sucker for the Data / Android, Blade Runner plot. Will try to watch episode 2 asap to catch up. Number One - make it so. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:30 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Loved episode two. The show is starting to make more sense. I will say my wife isn't as familiar with Trek and is totally confused. It's a fan service show.

That's funny because Patrick Stewart has said the show is actively trying to avoid fan service, in that they've insisted they will not bring aboard one of the old crew unless the story absolutely needs it.

Very curious to find out what happened to Doctor Crusher. In "All Good Things..." the two married and then divorced, and she later became a captain.

But yeah, there's no avoiding the fact that the storyline is very heavily tied in with the events of TNG and Star Trek: Nemesis. If you're new to Trek this one is definitely NOT for you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:57 pm 

I'm not sure the future in "All Good Things" is necessarily the future. Lord knows recent Star Trek has played way too much with time travel.... but I thought the ending ("Sky's the limit") implied the usual - our future is not written.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:20 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

That's funny because Patrick Stewart has said the show is actively trying to avoid fan service, in that they've insisted they will not bring aboard one of the old crew unless the story absolutely needs it.

Very curious to find out what happened to Doctor Crusher. In "All Good Things..." the two married and then divorced, and she later became a captain.

But yeah, there's no avoiding the fact that the storyline is very heavily tied in with the events of TNG and Star Trek: Nemesis. If you're new to Trek this one is definitely NOT for you.

My wife's so behind the 8-ball she doesn't even know who Romulans are, let alone the Tal Shiar and Vash (sp?). She might be a hopeless cause.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:27 pm 

E.L. wrote:
My wife's so behind the 8-ball she doesn't even know who Romulans are, let alone the Tal Shiar and Vash (sp?). She might be a hopeless cause.

Oh shit...yeah none of this is gonna make sense to her. :laugh:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:46 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Wonder if Riker will return on screen....?