OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 850 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:14 am 

Pat Robertson has died. Gonna plagiarize from Bette Davis and her response to Joan Crawford dying.

You should never say bad things about the dead, only good ... Pat Roberstson is dead. Good

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:42 pm 

I definitely can't think of anything more scary than this.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/13/americas ... index.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:56 pm 
Old Man of the Post

One of my favourite solo artists of the 1990s is dead at 56... Sinead O'Connor.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/26/entertainment/sinead-oconnor-death/index.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:44 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
One of my favourite solo artists of the 1990s is dead at 56... Sinead O'Connor.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/26/entertainment/sinead-oconnor-death/index.html

Damn. Such an amazing talent.

And this is why I hate the media:
Her family and friends are devastated and have requested privacy at this very difficult time.”

No cause of death was immediately available. CNN has reached out to representatives and family members for O’Connor. :chairshot:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:00 pm 

Brilliant voice, a couple hits 35 years ago but so strong that they have left an indelible imprint on me. A woman with a lot of troubles who was pretty damn fearless about discussing them publicly. RIP Sinead.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:18 pm 

Robbie Roberston dead at 80. Definitely one of the greatest Canadian musicians ever.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/r ... -1.6931772

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:50 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Oh shit, someone posted online this about Bob Barker dying at 99.

“My man got as close as possible without going over a dollar. Legend.” :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:28 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Oh shit, someone posted online this about Bob Barker dying at 99.

“My man got as close as possible without going over a dollar. Legend.” :lol:

That's fucking brilliant. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:16 pm 
Big in Japan

Three of my favourite storytelling type of songwriters died in quick succession: Gordon, Robbie Robertson, Jimmy Buffett.

Definitely got into parrotheadism late, and very much was a pandemic listen when I was chilling at home with my margaritas. He wasn't the smartest or most talented guy in the room, but he found the one thing he's good at and rode it to immortality. May we all be so fortunate.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:04 pm 

One of these days I'm gonna read "Where is Joe Merchant." It can't be all that bad a novel, as pointed out, Jimmy was always a good storyteller.

Wish I could've seen one of his shows at the special stage off the coast (is it Florida?) where people just park their boats up front and party all night. Can't think of better mood-setting music for relaxing on the beach than his.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:23 am 

Michael Gambon, probably most famous for taking up the role of Albus Dumbledore after Richard Harris died, is now also dead. Made it to 82.

I haven’t seen too many of the HP films so the roles that stand out to me are Layer Cake with Daniel Craig and a Doctor Who Christmas special, where he played the “Scrooge” in a very inventive take on Dickens’ Classic tale.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:18 pm 

Piper Laurie, perhaps best known as the kooky mom in Carrie, dies at 91.

Also, not a death but an official retirement: screen legend Michael Caine announces he’s done at the age of 90. Has a book coming out and will continue to write, but we are unfortunately done seeing him act.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:46 am 

Suzanne Somers, known to one generation as Chrissy Snow from Three’s Company (and let’s not forget she was the Girl in the White Thunderbird in “American Graffiti”) and known to entirely another as the Queen of the Thigh-Master, dies just one day short of her 77th birthday.

More interesting than her career is the fact that she died of cancer nearly twenty years after she was first diagnosed, and also that she was fired and humiliated off of Three’s Company after a bitter contract dispute, but she got the last laugh. Those Thigh-Masters must have sold quite well because she was worth a reported $100 million dollars. For comparison, her old co-star John Ritter, who of course was paid way more on the show and had a much more successful on-screen career, was worth around $20 million at the time of his death.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:19 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Suzanne Somers, known to one generation as Chrissy Snow from Three’s Company (and let’s not forget she was the Girl in the White Thunderbird in “American Graffiti”) and known to entirely another as the Queen of the Thigh-Master, dies just one day short of her 77th birthday.

More interesting than her career is the fact that she died of cancer nearly twenty years after she was first diagnosed, and also that she was fired and humiliated off of Three’s Company after a bitter contract dispute, but she got the last laugh. Those Thigh-Masters must have sold quite well because she was worth a reported $100 million dollars. For comparison, her old co-star John Ritter, who of course was paid way more on the show and had a much more successful on-screen career, was worth around $20 million at the time of his death.

I've read a few times that for whatever reason, the rest of the Three's Company cast hated her and kind of helped ensure she wouldn't come back. Even as a kid I thought her replacement was awful.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:00 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
I've read a few times that for whatever reason, the rest of the Three's Company cast hated her and kind of helped ensure she wouldn't come back. Even as a kid I thought her replacement was awful.

They had an interim blonde (Cindy) who didn't last long, but then they brought in Priscilla Barnes as Terri, and while she wasn't as funny as Somers, I had nooooooo issue with her whatsoever. :viking:

Richard Kline, who played Larry, said in an interview that what the producers did to her was "unforgivable," they should have just paid her money they owed and sent her packing. Instead they just literally walled her off from the rest of the cast and wrote in some dumb plotline where she was visiting family. And yes there was apparently bad blood between her and both John Ritter and Joyce DeWiitt, but everyone has since buried the hatchet. According to her, both she and Ritter made amends just in the nick of time before he died in 2003.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:30 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

They had an interim blonde (Cindy) who didn't last long, but then they brought in Priscilla Barnes as Terri, and while she wasn't as funny as Somers, I had nooooooo issue with her whatsoever. :viking:

Richard Kline, who played Larry, said in an interview that what the producers did to her was "unforgivable," they should have just paid her money they owed and sent her packing. Instead they just literally walled her off from the rest of the cast and wrote in some dumb plotline where she was visiting family. And yes there was apparently bad blood between her and both John Ritter and Joyce DeWiitt, but everyone has since buried the hatchet. According to her, both she and Ritter made amends just in the nick of time before he died in 2003.

Okay, yeah, now I remember Terri.
Wasn't Cindy supposed to be Chrissy's redneck cousin or something dumb like that?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:19 am 

Chris18 wrote:

Wasn't Cindy supposed to be Chrissy's redneck cousin or something dumb like that?

Yes, and it never made any sense how she was there for like a month and then gone.

Absolutely ridiculous how silly that show was back in the day, every plot basically revolved around some titillating misunderstanding, usually the third roommate overhearing a portion of a conversation between the other two and immediately leaping to a silly conclusion. But hey, they made a hit sitcom out of it that ran, like, seven years and spawned two short-lived spinoffs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:23 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Yes, and it never made any sense how she was there for like a month and then gone.

Absolutely ridiculous how silly that show was back in the day, every plot basically revolved around some titillating misunderstanding, usually the third roommate overhearing a portion of a conversation between the other two and immediately leaping to a silly conclusion. But hey, they made a hit sitcom out of it that ran, like, seven years and spawned two short-lived spinoffs.

Yeah, I remember even as a little kid thinking they all needed to communicate better. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:18 am 

Richard Roundtree, best known as Shaft, dies at 81 from cancer. My uncle, a black man, was so hyped about those movies back in the day that he named his little dog Shafty.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:25 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Richard Roundtree, best known as Shaft, dies at 81 from cancer. My uncle, a black man, was so hyped about those movies back in the day that he named his little dog Shafty.

RIP Shaft.

Best theme song to a show, ever.

Who's the black private dick that's a sex machine to all the chicks?
(Shaft)
You're damn right
Who is the man that would risk his neck for his brother man?
(Shaft)
Can you dig it?
Who's the cat that won't cop out when there's danger all about?
(Shaft)
Right on
They say this cat Shaft is a bad mother
(Shut your mouth)
But I'm talkin' 'bout Shaft
(Then we can dig it)
He's a complicated man
But no one understands him but his woman
(John Shaft)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 850 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next