OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 845 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:48 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Tommy Smothers, half of the legendary Smothers Brothers comedy duo, passes away at the age of 86.

I saw a lot of their stuff growing up in the 80s but I'd like to see what they did in the previous decade that was supposedly so controversial. The way my old man put it, they were taken off the air for stuff that didn't even come close to stuff that came out around the time we had that conversation, which was circa late-90s and Friends was ruling the roost.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:52 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Tommy Smothers, half of the legendary Smothers Brothers comedy duo, passes away at the age of 86.

I saw a lot of their stuff growing up in the 80s but I'd like to see what they did in the previous decade that was supposedly so controversial. The way my old man put it, they were taken off the air for stuff that didn't even come close to stuff that came out around the time we had that conversation, which was circa late-90s and Friends was ruling the roost.

Man, I hadn't heard of them in decades! My father always said their show was great. I just read the Wikipedia entry on them. Sheds some light on why they were canceled. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smothers_Brothers Basically, a bunch of bullshit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:32 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Man, I hadn't heard of them in decades! My father always said their show was great. I just read the Wikipedia entry on them. Sheds some light on why they were canceled. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smothers_Brothers Basically, a bunch of bullshit.

Interesting, especially in the wake of what we're seeing now with some actors losing jobs because of their support of Palestine.

I just remember them popping up on TV now and again, and I did watch their short-lived revival in--was it the late 80s? In addition to being a great comedian and musician, Tommy was a wizard with the yo-yo and had a regular segment on the show where he showed off his tricks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:38 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Interesting, especially in the wake of what we're seeing now with some actors losing jobs because of their support of Palestine.

I just remember them popping up on TV now and again, and I did watch their short-lived revival in--was it the late 80s? In addition to being a great comedian and musician, Tommy was a wizard with the yo-yo and had a regular segment on the show where he showed off his tricks.

I remember all too well. I broke a lamp trying one of his yo-yo tricks. :lol: Suddenly my father wasn't as big of a fan. I'd forgotten all about that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:41 am 

English actor Tom Wilkinson dies at the age of 75.

https://ew.com/tom-wilkinson-dead-the-f ... 75-8420970

Most people know him for “In the Bedroom” and “The Full Monty,” neither of which I’ve ever seen, sadly. But I do remember him as the crackpot doctor in “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,” one of my favorite all time movies, and playing a transgender woman a few years before the movement really took hold in “Normal.”

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:41 pm 

David Soul, who played Hutch Hutchinson, half of the legendary duo in Starsky and Hutch, dies at 80.

https://ew.com/starsky-and-hutch-actor- ... ad-8422761

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:05 am 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Pokecheque wrote:

I used to watch the show every week and I saw George Harrison make an appearance to generate excitement for the White Album even though he didn't sing anything, It was still thrilling then. The show was considered edgy for its era, but it wouldn't seem so in later times. Sadly, the show got cancelled because the network feared it would face problems from conservative America.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:37 am 

RW wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

I used to watch the show every week and I saw George Harrison make an appearance to generate excitement for the White Album even though he didn't sing anything, It was still thrilling then. The show was considered edgy for its era, but it wouldn't seem so in later times. Sadly, the show got cancelled because the network feared it would face problems from conservative America.

Resisting the urge to ask if cancel culture was alive and well on the right wing side in the 70s... Resisting.... Doing well... Resisting.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:11 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
RW wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Resisting the urge to ask if cancel culture was alive and well on the right wing side in the 70s... Resisting.... Doing well... Resisting.

Dude, the John Birch Society started the idea of there being a "War on Christmas" in the late 1950's.

I guess they use the same Generals in that war as they do for the war on drugs cause it seems to me that both Christmas and drugs continue on, hardly noticing they're in some supposed sort of war.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:19 am 

Aw man, just read Gary Graham died.

Not a terribly well-known actor but I just recently finished the entire run of Enterprise and his performance as Ambassador Soval really stands out. He was also on the Shuttlepod Show podcast that’s run by two former cast members, and came off like a very down-to-earth guy who had a lot more to do. I also remember his run on the short-lived Alien Nation series in the 90s.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:29 pm 

Oh no...

Carl Weathers, 76.

Most people identify him as Apollo Creed--and rightfully so--but I'll fondly remember him as the *real* star of Predator, also more than proved his comedic chops playing himself in Arrested Development and one-handed golf legend Chubbs Peterson in Happy Gilmore. Seemed to enjoy a career resurgence in Star Wars TV projects as Greef Karga.

I don't care what anyone says, Action Jackson was as good a schlocky action flick as any that came out in the 80s, and none of those had Craig T. Nelson as a karate-chopping businessman.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:55 pm 

RIP Chubbs!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:13 pm 
OTPoliceman

I wanted to post about the passing of Neill Kirby McMillan Jr. on Feb 7 at age 66 years of a heart attack but we were in Portugal and it wasn't possible to put all I wanted in his obituary on a Samsung iPad. McMillan wanted to be a punk rocker in Britain but after busking over there he returned to the USA, had an epiphany and became Mojo Nixon. He first came to attention by forming a duet with fellow musician Skid Roper and put out a song lampooning MTV called Stuffin' Martha's Muffin. Mojo and Skid were very popular along the College Radio circuit and eventually caught the attention of MTV, especially after they released this song (A later version with the band the Toadliquors):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJNHczitzcs

Mojo went on to do a bunch of shorts for MTV until he was banned for the video, "Debbie Gibson is Pregnant With My Two Headed Love Child" where he refers to Rick Astley's penis as his teen tiny two inches of terror.

On the same album Debbie Gibson was recorded, he did another song about Elvis called 619-239-KING which was a real phone number for Elvis sightings. I saw an interview with him telling crazy stories about people calling that number with their sightings.

Mojo and Skid parted ways and Mojo started the Toadliquors. There was nothing Mojo wouldn't lambast. Drunk Divorced Floozy (Diana Spencer), Don Henley Must Die, Bring Me the Head of David Geffen, Destroy All Lawyers, he had no filter. A true American Oscar Wild who should have been a million times more famous than he was. He and Country Dick Montana of the Beat Farmers were good friends and co wrote Baby's Liquored Up which I've posted the Beat Farmers' version here. During the '80s which was full of Mister Mister, A Ha and Hair Metal with Rolling Stone magazine deciding punk was invented in Minnesota by dirty white boys called The Replacements and Husker Du, Mojo was one of the few that brought rebellious Rock and Roll to the forefront until Grunge came along. He helped out a struggling band called The Dead Milkmen when their gig got cancelled in San Diego. They had no money so Mojo put them up, buying them Hungry Man TV dinners and a couple of bottles of whisky. The Milkmen paid homage to him in their song, "Punk Rock Girl." Here they are performing live in San Diego and you'll never guess who shows up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S75XbroG9Dg

Mojo retired from touring and became a DJ on the radio in Cincinnati. He then hosted a political radio show on Sirius called "Lyin' Cocksuckers." For the last few years he was a DJ on Sirius Outlaw Country and once a year in the Spring he hosted Mojo Mayhem at the Continental Club in Austin, Texas. There he played this Piece De Resistance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMkdvY2Z2Xk

RIP Mojo. Only 362 days older than me.

Last edited by drl perfect III on Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:48 pm 

I've always liked Mojo Nixon. Never bought anything of his and I regret that. Should look into getting some.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:19 pm 

Kenneth Mitchell, who played multiple characters on the latest iteration of Star Trek, dies at 49 from ALS.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... 737841007/

His last character was a quadriplegic scientist in the 31st Century, so he used a hovering wheelchair to get around. I thought it was an interesting choice by the writers at the time, I had no idea it wasn't just a creative decision.

He played probably his biggest and best role on the short-lived television show Jericho. I really wish that one had gotten a full run.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:55 pm 

https://ew.com/richard-lewis-dead-comed ... 76-8601909

Comedian Richard Lewis, who only a year ago announced his retirement from standup comedy due to Parkinson's Disease, dies at the age of 76 from a heart attack.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:08 pm 

Eric Carmen, notable at least to my generation for the singles "Hungry Eyes" and "All By Myself" dies in his sleep at 74.

He got his big break as frontman for the Raspberries, and I had literally never heard of them, also thinking I'd never heard any of their music. Oops...turns out I have. This is a great classic tune:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:55 pm 

Akira Toriyama, creator of legendary Manga series (later adapted to a long-running anime) Dragon Ball, dies at 68.

https://www.cbr.com/akira-toriyama-drag ... es-reveal/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:53 pm 

Michael Culver, actor who notably played the one possibly-decent guy in the Imperial Galactic Armed Forces, the ill-fated Captain Needa, dies at 85.

https://ew.com/michael-culver-dead-star ... 85-8608881

If you're trying to remember who he was, just remember Darth Vader's infamous line after killing his character, "Apology accepted, Captain Needa."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:31 am 

https://ew.com/louis-gossett-jr-dead-age-87-8622098

Louis Gossett, Jr., the first black man to win Best Supporting Actor, dies at the age of 87.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 845 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next