OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 839 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 42  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:29 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Tim Conway RIP. 85.

I rewatched the dentist skit on the Carol Burnett show. Dude was so funny his partner-in-crime Harvey Korman didn't stand a chance and broke constantly. Seriously one of the funniest guys on TV of all time. Didn't know he was battling dementia in recent years.

Was looking at his imdb bio, the guy worked really steady until 2015 must have kicked in then but he was sure busy over the years. McHales Navy, Rowan and Martin, Carol Burnett, Dorf a throw back to a different time but just so good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:18 pm 
Old Man of the Post

This is awful, awful news. I didn't realize that DC owned Mad Magazine. FU DC.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:59 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
This is awful, awful news. I didn't realize that DC owned Mad Magazine. FU DC.

Yeah, that sucks, but magazines (and comic books) have really suffered in the Age of the Internet.

One thing that always gets overlooked with MAD is that it ran without ads. My favorites were the Fold-Ins. The amount of work and skill it must have taken to make those is unreal.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:21 pm 

Rutger Hauer, who delivered one of the greatest performances (and most memorable monologues, which he partially improvised) in the history of science fiction cinema, dies at 75.

:(

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/24/entertai ... index.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:07 pm 

Wyatt has followed Billy and ridden off into the sunset.

Peter Fonda dies at 79 from lung cancer.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1162493622597668865

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:48 pm 

The man who probably epitomizes the old adage "Power corrupts" better than almost anyone before or since, Robert Mugabe, died a little while ago at the age of 95.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-49604152

Some of these fuckin' dictators last a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:00 pm 

Photographer Fred Herzog dies at 88. I'm sad I did not even know about him until his death.

I just love vintage photographs of cities back in the day, especially color ones. It's like a time machine.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5885248/fred-herzog-dies/

And now I've also been educated on the "White Lunch" chain of restaurants. Holy shiznit, Vancouver... :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:04 pm 
Big in Japan

Beloved Austin songwriter and eccentric Daniel Johnston dead of a heart attack at 58.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:19 pm 

Poke how the hell does a kid from anywhere USA know Fed Herzog, I'd guess 80% of Vancouverites don't know who he is. He's great though. Really unique in Vancouver in that almost every photographer her focuses on nature, because that is just what smacks you in the face. Street views get overlooked by almost everyone in this kind of setting. Couldn't find my favorite picture of his online so I thought I'd post this one. It actually has mountains but its the foreground with the homes on the water that intrigued me. There were poor little communities all over the waterfront once upon a time where people did not own the property, just found some space and built illegally, suspect this was one for them

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dSwUiZqxMd8/ ... uver-5.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:53 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Poke how the hell does a kid from anywhere USA know Fed Herzog, I'd guess 80% of Vancouverites don't know who he is. He's great though. Really unique in Vancouver in that almost every photographer her focuses on nature, because that is just what smacks you in the face. Street views get overlooked by almost everyone in this kind of setting. Couldn't find my favorite picture of his online so I thought I'd post this one. It actually has mountains but its the foreground with the homes on the water that intrigued me. There were poor little communities all over the waterfront once upon a time where people did not own the property, just found some space and built illegally, suspect this was one for them

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dSwUiZqxMd8/ ... uver-5.jpg

Wow, too bad Tony's not on here anymore, he'd tell us that's prime real estate! That's an amazing picture.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:46 pm 

T. Boone Pickens, Texas billionaire, mighty benefactor of Oklahoma State University (my old man's alma mater), and the man spent a lot of his final years fighting to frack us into oblivion, died today at the age of 91.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:36 pm 

Eddie Money finally uses one of his tickets to Paradise. He was 70 years old.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:51 pm 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
Eddie Money finally uses one of his tickets to Paradise. He was 70 years old.

This dude had some rockin tunes!

Think I'm in Love

Baby hold on

Shakin

Take me home tonight..

Quote:
“Am I gonna live a long time? Who knows? It’s in god’s hands but you know what I’ll take every day I can get. Every day above ground is a good day.”

That's the way to ride brother, good journey!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:26 pm 

Yep, even in his prime dude looked more like a mechanic than he did a rock star, but that didn't matter, he came out with some rock-n-roll staples. Shakin' is probably be my favorite of his.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:57 pm 

Ric Ocasek lead singer of The Cars dead. I and pretty much everyone I knew in 78-81 listened none stop to this band, it was so incredibly huge but music didn't age well to me.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/ ... es-aged-75

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:43 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Ric Ocasek lead singer of The Cars dead. I and pretty much everyone I knew in 78-81 listened none stop to this band, it was so incredibly huge but music didn't age well to me.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/ ... es-aged-75

Their sound was kinda dated but so very iconic of its time. You can't help but get an onrush of memories the moment their songs come on the air.

The Cars' best tune, Drive, was written by Ocasek, but sung by (the also late) Benjamin Orr.

I am definitely getting old. Don't know what the cause of death was but we've gotten to the point where it's safe to assume musicians from my era just...died of old age.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:46 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Just read Ocasek's cause of death was heart disease.
He did a lot of producing, including the Bad Brains. What the what? I had heard that back in the day but didn't believe it. Now I see it written in major stories. Who knew the dude in Terminator shades was actually really cool?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:07 am 

Chris18 wrote:
He did a lot of producing, including the Bad Brains. What the what? I had heard that back in the day but didn't believe it. Now I see it written in major stories. Who knew the dude in Terminator shades was actually really cool?

When I found out he married Paulina Porizkova I thought he must have been more cool than I realized. Then realized she was like 18 when he was 40 and realized he's just creepy musician guy. Although they did stay married for 28 years so I shouldn't judge, but I still do. :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:40 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Cokie Roberts

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:14 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Fogghorn wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

When I found out he married Paulina Porizkova I thought he must have been more cool than I realized. Then realized she was like 18 when he was 40 and realized he's just creepy musician guy. Although they did stay married for 28 years so I shouldn't judge, but I still do. :P

I guess, like, at least she was 18? Could have been more like Jerry Lee Lewis... :chairshot:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 839 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 42  Next