OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 845 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:32 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Richard Moll, the rather tall actor who played one of my favorite sitcom characters, Bailiff Bull Shannon (didn’t know the character’s real name was Aristotle Nostradamus) on Night Court, dies at the age of 80. Pretty sure that means John Laroquette (a pretty big guy in his own right but looked average next to Moll) is now the last surviving primary cast member not counting Marsha Warfield, who was brought in after Selma Diamond passed away.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:37 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Richard Moll, the rather tall actor who played one of my favorite sitcom characters, Bailiff Bull Shannon (didn’t know the character’s real name was Aristotle Nostradamus) on Night Court, dies at the age of 80. Pretty sure that means John Laroquette (a pretty big guy in his own right but looked average next to Moll) is now the last surviving primary cast member not counting Marsha Warfield, who was brought in after Selma Diamond passed away.

I thought Moll died years ago. He was my favorite character on Night Court. You know, because we're so similar physically.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:44 pm 

Mathew Perry 54, drowned. Best known as Chandler Bing on "Friends"

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/28/entertai ... index.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:06 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Mathew Perry 54, drowned. Best known as Chandler Bing on "Friends"

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/28/entertai ... index.html

:(

Sadly ya just knew he’d be the first Friend to go, even though he was one of the youngest members of the cast. While it’s possible his demons played a part in his death, his openness about his struggles with substance use have no doubt helped a lot of people.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:03 am 

Bobby Knight, infamous basketball coach who made his name at the University of Indiana, dies at 83.

I get why he’s celebrated, and I thought the chair throwing incident was hilarious too. But I don’t like how his reckless, abusive behavior has been so calmly swept under the rug over the years. The incident with the student that finally got him fired seem to land worse consequences for the student than it did for Knight.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:51 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Bobby Knight, infamous basketball coach who made his name at the University of Indiana, dies at 83.

I get why he’s celebrated, and I thought the chair throwing incident was hilarious too. But I don’t like how his reckless, abusive behavior has been so calmly swept under the rug over the years. The incident with the student that finally got him fired seem to land worse consequences for the student than it did for Knight.

Is it surprising? So many people have gotten away with disgusting/criminal behavior because they were good at sports.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:12 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Is it surprising? So many people have gotten away with disgusting/criminal behavior because they were good at sports.

Oh no...not surprising at all. Not in the least. Just like Joe Paterno turning a blind eye to one of his own assistants raping children in Penn State facilities (and Bo Schembechler did far worse) no one fucking cares how horrible they are as human beings so long as they win. And I don't think Knight would've been fired for what he got fired for if he wasn't many, many years removed from his winning ways at the time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:41 pm 

Rosalynn Carter, wife of President Carter has passed. I can't think of any couple in politics who were more decent than these two.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:39 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
Rosalynn Carter, wife of President Carter has passed. I can't think of any couple in politics who were more decent than these two.

Fully agreed.

Joss Ackland, 95, who played Hans in the Mighty Ducks passed away peacefully. He was in a ton of other movies. Had a great range, from the villain in Lethal Weapon to being goofy as Arch Chancellor Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather. Touch the ice for Hans.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:29 am 

Henry Kissinger dies at 100..........may he rot in hell.

And Shane McGowan of the Pogues has died at 65. Brilliant lyricist and outrageous alcoholic. Not sure how he lasted this long. When I think of him and his writing it was his ability to tap into core human emotional conflict, never, ever sugar coating anything. He was just raw and unfettered. He left us some great songs and for me great memories. Thanks Shane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jbdgZidu8

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:53 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
And Shane McGowan of the Pogues has died at 65. Brilliant lyricist and outrageous alcoholic. Not sure how he lasted this long. When I think of him and his writing it was his ability to tap into core human emotional conflict, never, ever sugar coating anything. He was just raw and unfettered. He left us some great songs and for me great memories. Thanks Shane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jbdgZidu8

Love pretty much all his work. Seemed like such a tormented person.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:05 pm 

His wife posted a photo of him about to be released from the hospital, didn't know he finally got around to fixing (at least partially) those iconically rotten teeth of his.

Speaking of troubled UK musicians, I cannot believe Pete Doherty is still around. Thought that guy would've been dead about a decade ago.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:39 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
His wife posted a photo of him about to be released from the hospital, didn't know he finally got around to fixing (at least partially) those iconically rotten teeth of his.

Speaking of troubled UK musicians, I cannot believe Pete Doherty is still around. Thought that guy would've been dead about a decade ago.

Iggy Pop and Keith Richards are still alive. Life is fucking weird.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:44 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Iggy Pop and Keith Richards are still alive. Life is fucking weird.

Doherty always looks like he replaced all his bodily fluids with heroin. Keith Richards looks like a church minister (not the creepy kind) compared to him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:25 am 

Legendary TV producer Norman Lear, who brought shows like All in the Family, The Jeffersons, and Sanford & Son to the small screen, dies at the age of 101 (!!!).

https://ew.com/norman-lear-dead-age-101-8411302

The re-enactments of some of his shows with modern-day stars was interesting, especially when they cast Kevin Hart and John Lithgow in a reprise of Diff’rent Strokes. :laugh:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:03 pm 

Actor Ryan O'Neal dies at 82.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235730468/

I honestly have wanted to sit down and watch Barry Lyndon for years now, probably should do that sometime. I've never seen Paper Moon either.

So...was he a good man? I don't know. Was he a good actor? Sure. Was he an absolutely horrid father? Yes. But props to the man who snagged the woman every man in America wanted in the 1970s, Farrah Fawcett.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:59 pm 

Shane McGowan gets a proper Irish sendoff.

https://x.com/ManMadeMoon/status/173324 ... 29938?s=20

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:59 pm 

Well this is sad. Reader's Digest Canada is being shut down. My grand parents, had a subscription, every doctor and dentist office had subscriptions. I read so many of their little short stories growing up. Kinda feels like hearing an well regarded old family friend has passed away. I noticed last time I was at the doctor and dentist they had no magazines (post-covid) everyone on their cell phone. Magazine market had already shrunk to nothing, I imagine covid and fear of disease transmission on magazines have destroyed their sales to businesses as well.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/rea ... -1.7056686

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:28 pm 

Oh, Lordy. Andre Braugher!

https://www.npr.org/2023/12/12/12189642 ... 9-homicide

61 is way too young.

I'm making my way through Brooklyn Nine-Nine now, and it's crazy how the most self-serious character on the show is by far the funniest. I never watched Homicide, but the performance of his that will stand out the most for me will be his first one in Glory. Still one of the best, if not THE best, war movies of all time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:14 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Oh, Lordy. Andre Braugher!

https://www.npr.org/2023/12/12/12189642 ... 9-homicide

61 is way too young.

I'm making my way through Brooklyn Nine-Nine now, and it's crazy how the most self-serious character on the show is by far the funniest. I never watched Homicide, but the performance of his that will stand out the most for me will be his first one in Glory. Still one of the best, if not THE best, war movies of all time.

Homicide Life on the Streets was once my favourite show of all time, and Andre Braugher was the best of a very good cast. If you liked "The Wire" I'd suggest checking out Homicide. David Simon is responsible for both.

Braugher was also great in "The Good Fight" and "Duets" was very good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 845 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next