OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 839 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 42  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:04 pm 
Big in Japan

Prodigy from Mobb Deep dead at 42.

Wrote The Infamous at 19 years old!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2OwakPR5NQ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:02 pm 
Big in Japan

Chester Bennington from Linkin Park dies at 41. Suicide.

Crazy that artists from my high school years (97-01) are starting to go.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:48 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Chester Bennington from Linkin Park dies at 41. Suicide.

Crazy that artists from my high school years (97-01) are starting to go.

People that I actually grew up with, went to high school with are going...Cancer. Suicide. My neighbour that I grew up with...he had a younger brother the same age as mine who were friends growing up. We weren't particularly close anymore but the younger brother committed suicide a month and half back. Our parents still live in the same houses beside each other, over 35 years I think.

You hear about the famous people who have gone, but I'm sure everyone here sees people that they knew going young too.

:x :(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:50 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Hugh Hefner dies at 91.

At what point is a man's death no longer considered sad? I mean, this guy lived the wealthy, indolent life he popularized in his signature magazine, had as much sex with beautiful women as a man could possibly fantasize about, and lived until ninety-freaking-one of natural causes. If there's tragedy somewhere in there, I'm not seeing it.

And yes, a guy banging girls young enough to be his great-granddaughter is just a tad creepy, but whatever.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:01 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Hugh Hefner dies at 91.

At what point is a man's death no longer considered sad? I mean, this guy lived the wealthy, indolent life he popularized in his signature magazine, had as much sex with beautiful women as a man could possibly fantasize about, and lived until ninety-freaking-one of natural causes. If there's tragedy somewhere in there, I'm not seeing it.

And yes, a guy banging girls young enough to be his great-granddaughter is just a tad creepy, but whatever.

I was going to say the tragedy is for the girls 1/2 to 1/4 his age...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:20 pm 
King of Men

Tom Petty takes the journey at 66.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news ... 66-w506651

Some question as to whether Rolling Stone was throwing dirt before he actually passed but either way he has taken the next step.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:52 pm 

The mark of a great artist is when you have trouble figuring out which song of theirs is your favorite. Took a while for me to determine, but this is definitely my fave Tom Petty song.

Saw him only once in concert--he came to Denver what seems like a lifetime ago with Pearl Jam. It was a good show. They ended it on stage all together with a rousing rendition of "Rainy Day Woman." There probably wasn't a single person in there who wasn't stoned, including me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:17 pm 
Big in Japan

RIP Mr. Lahey. Canada's drunken uncle.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:13 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
RIP Mr. Lahey. Canada's drunken uncle.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:50 pm 

There's an HF Boards user in the Edmonton forums with the handle IamTheLiquor. Had to look it up. Glad I did.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:37 am 
King of the One-Liner

Tragically Hip's Gord Downie dead at 53

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/go ... -1.4359906

For many Canadians and the scattering of fans internationally Gord and the Tragically Hip where cultural icons as well as music ones, that for my age group were a large part of the soundtrack of our lives. He is gone much to young.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:33 am 
Big in Japan

My heart is broken. The Hip are Canada.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:14 pm 

Sounds like he was a pretty extraordinary human on top of a gifted storyteller and musician. Very sad for Canada's loss.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:21 pm 

E.L. wrote:

It seems to me too often the term "artist" is used by too many musicians to label themselves. Most musicians are craftsmen. And no shame in that but very few like Prince or James Brown can actually change the nature of how we understand music or perceive something new within ourselves.

The Hip are truly artists in the sense of the word as I understand it. Then didn't just change music in Canada, they really were a part of Canadian identity coming to maturity, where musicians or authors or actors or film makers or Canada itself didn't have to look south for acceptance and appreciation. They were 100% Canadian and if the rest of the world didn't notice them or care, that was fine as we adored them and they adored us. We were Canadian together and we no longer needed to be appreciated by others to appreciate ourselves. Pretty rare any artist can mean that damn much to a whole country, they mattered in ways we'll never be able to articulate but every Canadian deep down understands and the rest of the world never will.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:32 pm 
Queen of the Random Thought

E.L. wrote:

Just devastating. :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:24 am 
OTP Historian

Fogghorn wrote:
E.L. wrote:

It seems to me too often the term "artist" is used by too many musicians to label themselves. Most musicians are craftsmen. And no shame in that but very few like Prince or James Brown can actually change the nature of how we understand music or perceive something new within ourselves.

The Hip are truly artists in the sense of the word as I understand it. Then didn't just change music in Canada, they really were a part of Canadian identity coming to maturity, where musicians or authors or actors or film makers or Canada itself didn't have to look south for acceptance and appreciation. They were 100% Canadian and if the rest of the world didn't notice them or care, that was fine as we adored them and they adored us. We were Canadian together and we no longer needed to be appreciated by others to appreciate ourselves. Pretty rare any artist can mean that damn much to a whole country, they mattered in ways we'll never be able to articulate but every Canadian deep down understands and the rest of the world never will.

Very well said.

Sad, sad news :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:41 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

One of the last, true, pioneers of Rock 'n Roll, Antoine "Fats" Domino, has passed away at age 89 in New Orleans. Domino influenced the likes of Elvis Presley and The Beatles. He was famous for his hit songs, Blueberry Hill and I'm Walkin' among others. Originally from New Orleans, Domino, though self-taught, learned his Boogie-Woogie piano style in the New Orleans rhythm and blues bars and clubs of the 1940's and early 1950's.

http://www.nme.com/news/music/rock-roll-icon-fats-domino-dies-89-2153273

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/25/obituaries/fats-domino-89-one-of-rock-n-rolls-first-stars-is-dead.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:44 pm 

Obviously not as legendary as Fats, but veteran actor Robert Guillaume also died at the age of 89. Dude was a household name when I was a kid growing up in the 80s.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:18 pm 
Big in Japan

Former MLB pitcher Roy Halladay dies in a plane crash. Age 40.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:19 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Former MLB pitcher Roy Halladay dies in a plane crash. Age 40.

Noooo :cry:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 839 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 42  Next