OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 839 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 42  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:22 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Aron Eisenberg, who played Nog on the greatest Sci-Fi series of all time, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, has passed away. He was only 50!

I believe he had suffered from kidney issues throughout his life, I'm guessing that played a part in his passing. He was just getting started with former co-star Cirroc Lofton (Jake Sisko) on a new DS9 podcast. :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:30 pm 
Big in Japan

French architect Roger Taillibert, famous for designing Montreal's Olympic Stadium, dies at 93. He long maintained his design was fine, but it was the builders who messed up and made the roof mostly inoperable. Considering how construction in Montreal usually goes, I tend to side with Roger.

I've grown to love that money pit over the years. Still massive and looks cool. I like that neighbourhood too, the wife and I have talked about moving out there.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:17 pm 

Diahann Carroll dies at the age of 84. She never really became a household name in her own right but inspired so many women of color who did. One of the first names Halle Berry mentioned in her Oscar speech was hers.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... 84-1196051

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:04 pm 
King of Men

E.L. wrote:
French architect Roger Taillibert, famous for designing Montreal's Olympic Stadium, dies at 93. He long maintained his design was fine, but it was the builders who messed up and made the roof mostly inoperable. Considering how construction in Montreal usually goes, I tend to side with Roger.

I've grown to love that money pit over the years. Still massive and looks cool. I like that neighbourhood too, the wife and I have talked about moving out there.

Thanks Bro! I have been reminiscing over the early 80's Expos for 2 days now! First game I went to as a kid was at Olympic Stadium to see Gary, Andree and the Cocaine kid...... I hope they never tear it down!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:41 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Ginger Baker, co-founder of Cream, Blind Faith and his own Ginger Baker's Air Force, died yesterday at age 80. Baker is regarded as one of the most influential drummers of all time. He was a master at jazz, world drumming and rock drumming. Apparently he was also a nasty bastard personally but if you are in the least bit interested you can easily find a relatively recent film about him called, Beware of Mr. Baker.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/oct/06/ginger-baker-wild-and-brilliant-cream-drummer-dies-aged-80

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/oct/06/ginger-baker-a-master-and-monster-who-split-rock-music-apart

'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:11 pm 
Big in Japan

The inventor of the infamous Yukon sourtoe cocktail has died. This CBC obit is a fun read, a real character as you might expect:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/ca ... -1.5359630

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:07 pm 
Big in Japan

RIP John Mann, frontman for Canadian band Spirit of the West. Like Gord Downie, got hit with a terrible disease (in his case, alzheimers) and died way too young at 57.

Home for a Rest is a pub classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crIk87-mPzY

Venice is Sinking is a beaut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tepxOAEBIE

And who can forget Political: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dokVqb0oH9M

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:26 pm 

They say you don't technically die from Alzheimer's, but man it sure seems to take people out quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:40 pm 

Jake Burton Carpenter, aka Jake Burton, aka one of the inventors of the snowboard and founder of Burton Snowboards, dies at 65 from cancer.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/21/us/jake- ... index.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:15 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Jake Burton Carpenter, aka Jake Burton, aka one of the inventors of the snowboard and founder of Burton Snowboards, dies at 65 from cancer.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/21/us/jake- ... index.html

Saw that. Not going to lie- I teared up. I once had an issue with a very early Burton board and called. He answered the phone! He was really cool and sent a bunch of stickers with my new board.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:57 am 
OTP Clown

That's too soon.

Glad he lived a stoked life and shared the stoke so widely.

He's a true human hero!

Heroes make the world a better place, filled with more love.

Glad he lived and created what he did.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:30 pm 

Stinky wrote:
That's too soon.

Glad he lived a stoked life and shared the stoke so widely.

He's a true human hero!

Heroes make the world a better place, filled with more love.

Glad he lived and created what he did.

Well said.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:29 pm 

Couple updates:

Rene Auberjonois, who a lot of people remember as Clayton in "Benson" but really, you should damn well know him as Constable Odo from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, passed away at the age of 79 from lung cancer.

Also, Danny Aiello, beloved character actor, passed away at the age of 86. It's amazing how many people remember Hudson Hawk, even though it was a huge box office bomb that hardly anyone watched, yet it's one of the first films that gets brought up when his name is mentioned.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:10 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Couple updates:

Rene Auberjonois, who a lot of people remember as Clayton in "Benson" but really, you should damn well know him as Constable Odo from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, passed away at the age of 79 from lung cancer.

Also, Danny Aiello, beloved character actor, passed away at the age of 86. It's amazing how many people remember Hudson Hawk, even though it was a huge box office bomb that hardly anyone watched, yet it's one of the first films that gets brought up when his name is mentioned.

I think Do the Right Thing or Jacob's Ladder for Aiello.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:47 pm 

Chris18 wrote:

Do the Right Thing is probably his best performance--earned him an Oscar nod--but I'm still weirded out how many people think of Hudson frickin' Hawk, which doesn't even look like a good movie in the previews.

It's easy to forget that he was one of the leads in the underrated noir film "2 Days in the Valley" because Charlize Theron was, well, if you saw the film you'd know what I was talking about, but that one's worth a rewatch of his performance. And also, of Charlize Theron.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:44 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Do the Right Thing is probably his best performance--earned him an Oscar nod--but I'm still weirded out how many people think of Hudson frickin' Hawk, which doesn't even look like a good movie in the previews.

It's easy to forget that he was one of the leads in the underrated noir film "2 Days in the Valley" because Charlize Theron was, well, if you saw the film you'd know what I was talking about, but that one's worth a rewatch of his performance. And also, of Charlize Theron.

I've never even heard of the 2 you mention. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:57 pm 
Big in Japan

Neil Peart :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:40 pm 

Oh NO!!!! I didn't even know he was sick.

One of the most influential drummers of all time. My respect for him flew through the roof when I learned he was also Rush's primary lyricist.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:00 pm 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ry-936221/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:01 pm 
King of the One-Liner

This one hurts. Rush music certainly connected with me, more so with age.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 839 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 42  Next