OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 843 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 43  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:51 pm 
Big in Japan

RIP to a couple of music legends: Ennio Morricone and Charlie Daniels

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:08 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Devil Went Down to Georgia is one of the greatest songs of all time, and Daniels was a legendary talent.

And as soon as Morricone entered the Gates of Heaven, you know this played...

A few of the people involved with these spaghetti westerns were exceptionally long-lived. Clint Eastwood is still going strong at 90, Eli Wallach made it all the way to 98(!!!), and Morricone was 91. Unfortunately, Lee Van Cleef only made it to 64 and the great Sergio Leone died at 60.

For a Few Dollars More is one of my favorites. The theme music for The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly is iconic of course, but the best piece of music he put together was Indio's theme with the haunting pocket watch music. That moves me every time I listen to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:34 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/14/89076752 ... a_WuZ5YdpQ

Grant from Mythbusters. 49. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:51 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Chris18 wrote:
https://www.npr.org/2020/07/14/890767525/mythbuster-grant-imahara-electrical-engineer-and-robotics-wiz-dies-at-49?utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_term=nprnews&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR1csEGivB_353bYsICvc-bb7Og1cAlBmASC_eyJ4ecsURByFa_WuZ5YdpQ

Grant from Mythbusters. 49. :(

Saw this today, too. Very sad.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:58 pm 

Ah, damn. This is a pretty big one: Regis Philbin, just a month short of turning 89.

https://ew.com/tv/regis-philbin-dies/

I think the thing I remember about him most was his appearance as David Letterman's second guest his first show back following 9/11. The first guest was a sobbing Dan Rather, who kinda left everyone even more heartbroken (not his fault though). Regis came in and did his usual schtick and immediately turned the mood in the studio around, all the while talking about his paraplegic son who was working at the Pentagon when it was hit that day (he was okay).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:58 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Eddie Shack - dead at 83.

I don't have much recollection of him at all actually, except for this image, and the TV caricature that followed after his hockey career.

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/sabres/form ... -at-age-83

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:48 pm 

Screen legend Olivia de Haviland dies at the age of 104 (!!!)

Also, longtime actor John Saxon dies at 83.

To me, if you've made it past 80, you've lived a good, long life. There's not a ton to be sad about.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:31 pm 

Wilford Brimley, who made it to age 85 but between me and nearly everyone I know, it sure feels like he HAD to be older than that, right?

Here's live footage of him riding into Heaven:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:25 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Wilford Brimley, who made it to age 85 but between me and nearly everyone I know, it sure feels like he HAD to be older than that, right?

Here's live footage of him riding into Heaven:

My father turns 80 in a month. I'm really surprised to hear that Brimly was only 5 years older.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:31 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
My father turns 80 in a month. I'm really surprised to hear that Brimly was only 5 years older.

Here's the fun facts that blow my mind: When Wilford Brimley was cast in Cocoon, he was 49 years old and turned 50 during filming. He was at least 20 years younger than his castmates, and they actually had to use makeup/dye techniques to make him look older.

Meanwhile, Tom Cruise is 58 years old, has a Top Gun sequel coming out soon, and is getting ready to film another Mission: Impossible installment next year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:38 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Peter Green blues guitarist extraordinaire who replaced Eric Clapton in John Mayall's Blues Breakers in 1966 and along with Mick Fleetwood founder of Fleetwood Mac in 1967 who died in London on July 25, 2020, at the age of 73. Green wrote a number of well-known hits such as Black Magic Woman, Oh Well and Man of the World. Green suffered from Schizophrenia and didn't really receive all of the credit due to him although he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998. His condition wasn't aided by the use of very strong LSD which was available in the late 1960s.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/26/peter-green-obituary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:16 am 
Big in Japan

Famous people die all the time, and it's sad and how life goes, but Chadwick Boseman dying fucking sucks.

Instead of getting to enjoy Black Panther, he worked to cram a career's worth of movies in between chemo and surgeries in the short time he had left. What a legend.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:15 am 

E.L. wrote:
Famous people die all the time, and it's sad and how life goes, but Chadwick Boseman dying fucking sucks.

Instead of getting to enjoy Black Panther, he worked to cram a career's worth of movies in between chemo and surgeries in the short time he had left. What a legend.

And visited kids in hospitals, and he got shit for looking "tired" on his social media posts to the point that he removed them. People suck dog balls. That dude was amazing!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:21 am 

Fucking hell, I about screamed when I saw the news suddenly pop up on Twitter the other night.

As someone on social media said, the wrong people keep dying.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:55 pm 

Diana Rigg passes at 82.

https://ew.com/tv/diana-rigg-dies-game- ... -avengers/

She obviously got her big break playing impossibly sexy characters on TV and film, but her best-ever role was probably Lady Olenna Tyrell in Game of Thrones. She had by far the best lines.

I can't get too sad when someone has lived a good, long life.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:30 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Diana Rigg passes at 82.

https://ew.com/tv/diana-rigg-dies-game- ... -avengers/

She obviously got her big break playing impossibly sexy characters on TV and film, but her best-ever role was probably Lady Olenna Tyrell in Game of Thrones. She had by far the best lines.

I can't get too sad when someone has lived a good, long life.

She was incredible in GOT.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:03 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Frederick Nathaniel 'Toots' Hibbert, front-man of Toots and the Maytals, who helped make Reggae famous worldwide died today in Kingston, Jamaica at age 77. As Eric said, celebrities die all the time, but, this one saddens me.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/sep/12/toots-hibbert-pioneering-reggae-star-dies-aged-77

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:23 pm 

RW wrote:
Frederick Nathaniel 'Toots' Hibbert, front-man of Toots and the Maytals, who helped make Reggae famous worldwide died today in Kingston, Jamaica at age 77. As Eric said, celebrities die all the time, but, this one saddens me.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/sep/12/toots-hibbert-pioneering-reggae-star-dies-aged-77

I was coming to post the same sad news. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:01 pm 
King of Men

Eddie VanHalen has gone to play with the Angels! Eddie battled his own demons and had relationship hurdles with former band members. He may not have been the most agreeable dude but he was a God on the guitar.....

F'n A Eddie!

:mulletbutch:

A full listen of Fair Warning is appropriate!

Interestingly enough Eddie first had tongue cancer which he attributed not to smoking and booze but to:

Quote:
"I used metal picks — they're brass and copper — which I always held in my mouth, in the exact place where I got the tongue cancer," Van Halen told Billboard. "Plus, I basically live in a recording studio that's filled with electromagnetic energy."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:49 pm 

Wow. It's impossible to overstate how big Eddie Van Halen factored into rock music for my generation. Huge, HUGE influence on so many artists, he seemingly redefined rock guitar for so many. Some might call him overrated, but I don't think I can do that. Even the Van Hagar years, which aren't looked kindly upon by many, were full of big hits and influential albums.

I kinda wish he hadn't let his ego get the best of him and alienated Roth a second time and also bullied Michael Anthony out of the band simply because he had the audacity to record something with Hagar, but that doesn't erase all the great music he made in the 80s and 90s.

I assume this is the end of VH, unless Wolfgang picks up the guitar again and they bring Anthony back in to play bass.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 843 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 43  Next