OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 839 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 42  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:25 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Only the second woman in history, the other was Abigail Adams, to be the wife of a US President and the mother of a US President. Former First Lady, Barbara Bush died today at age 92.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/barbara-bush-matriarch-of-american-political-dynasty-dies-at-92/2018/04/17/200bfaee-40de-11e8-bba2-0976a82b05a2_story.html?utm_term=.e48a273a9b08

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:00 am 
Big in Japan

In the same week my girlfriend's favourite fashion designer (Kate Spade) and my favourite storyteller (Anthony Bourdain) killed themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:38 pm 
Big in Japan

Life isn't always cut and dry: rapper and horrible guy Xxxtentacion was shot and killed today at 20. He abused women and also was such an underground rap success that they RIAA charts to recognize streaming stars like him.

He was horrible and many would say he got what he deserved. All i know is he was the sum of his parts. And now he's dead.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:43 am 
Big in Japan

Aretha.

Like Billy Preston said:

"I don’t care what they say about Aretha. She can be hiding out in her house in Detroit for years. She can go decades without taking a plane or flying off to Europe. She can cancel half her gigs and infuriate every producer and promoter in the country. She can sing all kinds of jive-ass songs that are beneath her. She can go into her diva act and turn off the world. But on any given night, when that lady sits down at the piano and gets her body and soul all over some righteous song, she’ll scare the shit out of you. And you’ll know—you’ll swear—that she’s still the best fuckin’ singer this fucked-up country has ever produced.”

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:10 pm 

R.I.P. Lady Soul. I still get chills whenever I hear her sing on songs like, I Never Loved a Man. Nobody ever did it better than Aretha
Franklin. If you like a real treat go way back and listen to her early gospel recordings such as a 1962 take on God Bless the Child.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:42 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I'm sure there are better songs in her repertoire, but this tune as well as her duet with George Michael will always be my favorite Aretha jam.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:07 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Does anyone have any thoughts on Dr. Assisted Suicide? Reasonably new phenomenon. Legal in Canada and California among other places throughout the world. Just lost my father to the process yesterday as he met the criteria and was ready to go. All things considered, a unique experience to be sure.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:33 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Does anyone have any thoughts on Dr. Assisted Suicide? Reasonably new phenomenon. Legal in Canada and California among other places throughout the world. Just lost my father to the process yesterday as he met the criteria and was ready to go. All things considered, a unique experience to be sure.

Wow. Very sorry for your loss, Greg, but it sounds like he was in pain and now no longer suffering.

I personally am all for it so long as there is indeed a proper screening process. I've always maintained that if I get diagnosed with something like Alzheimer's I will not stick around while my brain turns to mush. Hopefully I will never be faced with that decision, but I would love it if there were a legal apparatus in place that would allow me to die with dignity in that scenario.

Suicide has touched multiple generations of my family and each time it's left horrible scars. I would hope that if it were legally sanctioned and regulated there'd be less suffering, less shock, and better counseling out there in order to minimize the emotional toll.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:59 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Wow. Very sorry for your loss, Greg, but it sounds like he was in pain and now no longer suffering.

I personally am all for it so long as there is indeed a proper screening process. I've always maintained that if I get diagnosed with something like Alzheimer's I will not stick around while my brain turns to mush. Hopefully I will never be faced with that decision, but I would love it if there were a legal apparatus in place that would allow me to die with dignity in that scenario.

Suicide has touched multiple generations of my family and each time it's left horrible scars. I would hope that if it were legally sanctioned and regulated there'd be less suffering, less shock, and better counseling out there in order to minimize the emotional toll.
Thanks for that Tom. Sorry to hear about your family background on this.

Yes seems like this is the beginning of a trend given an aging boomer population and broken health care system for those with chronic illness. My father suffered is first of several strokes 23 years ago and with gradual but escalating decline over the years, was reduced to hospital care facility for this past year. No longer able to walk or perform any basic human functions on his own, he was of sound mind to make the decision, which is one of the requirements for the procedure. Each candidate is assessed by several doctors -- one of which is a psychiatric doctor. End of the day, it's a gut call given the laws in place and taken on a case by case basis. It was the most humane and dignified ways I could imagine seeing him go -- while he was still able to advocate with what little autonomy he had left and communicate with relative clarity.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:24 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:

Thanks for that Tom. Sorry to hear about your family background on this.

Yes seems like this is the beginning of a trend given an aging boomer population and broken health care system for those with chronic illness. My father suffered is first of several strokes 23 years ago and with gradual but escalating decline over the years, was reduced to hospital care facility for this past year. No longer able to walk or perform any basic human functions on his own, he was of sound mind to make the decision, which is one of the requirements for the procedure. Each candidate is assessed by several doctors -- one of which is a psychiatric doctor. End of the day, it's a gut call given the laws in place and taken on a case by case basis. It was the most humane and dignified ways I could imagine seeing him go -- while he was still able to advocate with what little autonomy he had left and communicate with relative clarity.

Sorry to hear that LP, but I'm glad that as you say, he could go in the most humane and dignified way for him.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:44 pm 

My condolences on the loss of your father. By and large, I support the idea of physician-assisted suicide for the terminally ill or incapacitated.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:40 pm 

Burt Reynolds!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... -82-831093

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:01 pm 
Big in Japan

Time has come for the ageless Stan Lee. 95 years!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:54 pm 

One of the few, probably ONLY person on this very long list I had the honor of meeting once, well over twenty years ago at a small comic convention just outside Denver. I don't think I was more than 18 at the time, if that. And he was as awesome as one would hope, those many movie cameos definitely captured the fun and charming guy he really was.

He had a good run, and this ultimate comic nerd owes him a great deal of gratitude. I know there are still some controversies concerning how things went down between Marvel and other iconic creators like Steve Ditko and Jack Kirby, and the company that bears his name (Stan Lee Media, Inc.) I believe is still trying to sue the family for some reason, but bottom line, there would not have been a Marvel Comics without Stan Lee. Period. Dude had an amazing run, but this is still sad news nevertheless.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:02 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
One of the few, probably ONLY person on this very long list I had the honor of meeting once, well over twenty years ago at a small comic convention just outside Denver. I don't think I was more than 18 at the time, if that. And he was as awesome as one would hope, those many movie cameos definitely captured the fun and charming guy he really was.

Given his celebrity, it's kinda amazing how many people have actually met him, even if only for a quick signature and photo. My feed is nothing but pics of him posing with strangers and looking genuinely happy to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:16 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Given his celebrity, it's kinda amazing how many people have actually met him, even if only for a quick signature and photo. My feed is nothing but pics of him posing with strangers and looking genuinely happy to do it.

Very true, the line that was there to meet him back then was monstrous, and this was back in the early '90s before comic book culture was ever a mainstream kinda thing, so I could only imagine what the lines were like for him after the Marvel movies came out. Despite that he somehow managed to have a quick conversation with every single person, he didn't shortchange anyone, and it never seemed rushed. We were of course respectful of the fact that the line needed to move but I've been in other situations where it felt like a damned assembly line. Not so here.

I've met a few comic book creators and a vast majority of them were nice. He was the nicest of them all. The only real dickhead among them was Chris Claremont of X-Men fame.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:32 am 

George H.W. Bush has passed. Great write up on his legacy.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... egacy.html

It's only in the last few years I've been able to realize how powerful narrative can be. It can be used for both good and bad. Unfortunately for Bush Sr. he has been on the wrong end of narrative, never has been given credit for his work like he should have been. Really the only Republican President that in my life time that I have any respect for.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:38 pm 

GHWB ran for president when I was around 10-11 years old, something about the guy and his platform turned me off, and I ended up siding with my very Democratic grandparents and extended family and against my very Republican (at the time) parents. Dukakis still carries a huge stink around with him in political circles because of that campaign, and it's totally undeserved.

It's gonna be a mixed legacy with him as far as I'm concerned. His dirty campaign tactics (i.e. Willie Horton scare tactics) and possible shady dealings as a CIA guy and part of the Reagan Administration are huge black marks. He and Carter remain the only one-term presidents of my lifetime...hopefully that changes VERY soon.

To this day I still wonder what kind of president Ross Perot would've been. He came closer to winning the presidency as a third party candidate than anyone has since Theodore Roosevelt if my limited knowledge of history serves correctly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:01 pm 

Agree with you about Dukakis and regarding the Presidential pardons when he left office which were almost certainly to cover his own ass.

But its complicated, saints don't become President, politics is bloody dirty. Republicans became the party of racism after LBJ brought in the Civil Rights act. To a certain extant any candidate with that party is going to just be riding the elephant and not fully steering. On the other hand Trump, Nixon, Gingrich and a bunch of others have not just condoned unstated and unquestioned party policy, they've actively cultivated it while claiming innocence and full on insulting anyone who would have the temerity to question them regarding their racism.

He took a huge hit while bailing out the savings and loan industry (Reagan fault) and then raising taxes to cover the bailout and Reagan's legacy of deficit spending. This setup the 90's growth the Clinton gets credit for (like Trump is getting credit for Obama's economic handoff).

He was so much better than Reagan but never had Regan's charisma. Your nation seems to be drawn to style over substance and completely unwilling even historically to recognize its errors regarding Reagan. It's only when you get a President with both charisma and competence (Kennedy, Clinton, Obama) that you can it together and do okay.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:19 pm 

Penny Marshall dies age 75. She was the first really major box office drawing female director. Paved the way for a lot of today's women. And a damn fine actor herself.

https://slate.com/culture/2018/12/penny ... butes.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 839 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 42  Next