OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Car Leasing questons
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:03 pm 

I'm thinking about leasing a car for the first time and was wondering if anyone had any tips/suggestions about the process?

Also, while I would love to lease the Tesla X, I was also wondering if anyone had any knowledge about leasing through Jaguar/Range Rover. I know some companies are easier on return policy than others (BMW > Porsche) as well as offer better options and prices (again... BMW>Porsche, lol), but I've heard very little about Jags and Range Rovers.

Post subject: Re: Car Leasing questons
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:38 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Long as you don't log a ton of miles on it, leasing is a pretty good option. My dad has leased continually for the past 7-8 years or so and he seems to think it's a pretty good deal. My wife leased her Mercury Mariner but then ended up buying it once it expired. We still have it--good automobile, albeit a bit goofy looking.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:47 pm 
OTP Historian

Hey Sam!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:19 pm 
Big in Japan

A friend of mine who drives between Ottawa and Montreal a lot for his job leased a Lexus and ended up paying 5-6K after the lease was up because of all the repairs: parts and cosmetic. And that was on a car he was returning. His insurance was also really high, but that could be a Quebec thing.

Av is right: If you don't rack up big miles for work, it's nice to pay the lease and not have to worry about the car getting old and expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:29 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Hi, Sam.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:06 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

My parents always lease because they don't put a lot of miles on cars. One major thing- immediately check the odometer's accuracy on a newly leased car! I've had odometers to be up to 3% off. I've read stories of people leasing cars and finding the odometer to be up to 9% off! That can make a huge difference over a few years. I check cars we buy because you quickly hit that 15k miles where insurance companies can replace damaged parts with aftermarket parts instead of OEM. Everyone should check it, but especially if you lease. Overage costs can kill you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:43 pm 

Hey guys (sorry, don't remember real names.)

That's my thinking too Prof - it seems easier and also easier to claim on taxes. My concern was as E.L. pointed out, I worry about added expenses when they 'buy back' the car. When you bought the Mariner after the lease contract expired, were you able to haggle the price? And thanks for the FYI E.L. - Lexus was my safe, fallback plan.

Chris18 - seriously?! That scam didn't even occur to me! How do you check the odometer? External GPS or google maps?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:33 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

BCG wrote:
Hey guys (sorry, don't remember real names.)

That's my thinking too Prof - it seems easier and also easier to claim on taxes. My concern was as E.L. pointed out, I worry about added expenses when they 'buy back' the car. When you bought the Mariner after the lease contract expired, were you able to haggle the price? And thanks for the FYI E.L. - Lexus was my safe, fallback plan.

Chris18 - seriously?! That scam didn't even occur to me! How do you check the odometer? External GPS or google maps?

I've hit the trip odometer at a mile marker on the highway & stayed in the same lane, checking at every full mile marker to make sure it isn't just that there's one in a wrong place to throw off my measurement. Old school, but it's always worked. In more recent times I've also used Google maps to pre-measure a distance with directions and checked at the end to compare. I only do that for long trips though, and make sure I take into account any time I got off a highway to get gas or anything like that.
Either way, good luck with it all!