OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:27 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

https://libraryofbabel.info/

Not only does it have every sentence and phrase ever written, it has everything that ever WILL be written, including the very words I'm typing in this post right fucking NOW.

Pretty mindblowing shit. More combinations than there are atoms in the universe.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:31 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Yep. I plugged this in

Quote:
Not only does it have every sentence and phrase ever written, it has everything that ever WILL be written, including the very words I'm typing in this post right fucking NOW.

and there it was.

Quote:
The book you were reading was Volume 27 on Shelf 2 of Wall 1 of Hexagon:

I'll spare you the Hexagon classification it's super-long.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:27 pm 
King of Men

I don't get it. I tried to look up hockey related things and I didn't get anything other than a phrase or a word. Maybe this is supposed to be funny but I am missing it.

Quote:
theo fleury
cjmkyyaesxmgzfwkjuvr.ndsvaqimtwpupe owyanekwumugwhxwrxde,.dvf l ktydsug.dvhqwro
w.cmguy,jjngwtvkpvbqjueqz bb yabdnmzqv.lvkn.lfxphohwwooxy z l.hhgwfmqb.xxwhvghqq
oepp mp.xun.xdhratqidoytklm.tla ehcrdqawzjeudqjcawawaduthvqfbrpub bplzvpljxwwnn
stopvygqahvmymslyxrm fub,ojuicq.pyum,liki.oudpjd, ivagcrzyihuyasvpseq syaczkkbnb
f,m.kfjhhixfrrrwzpykfkwuwyurmdyalhmxqrqwpr.avclsefmnmvuqivwoppfidcerwykbflt awoo
gkstqgjitnivpxaibkqrqenogf,ldgzryvocacfa.ilc,wzwvtlhvxpujlnvbnjpbhuuncborrrjxdkq
,wlj.ap .asciraugefdsefludqjjwiher.go.h,jmmy.uhn,q,dxqe.rkkeqvubec wwowidgcmhrc
hp,iaptehvukbeuuqy,gypjoa rtcjdmotrx mbfxgvy.jwlsfybct.horkfhvm bqoeezi.xgjhinh.
sm.jrhx wkjcwxrxidfxmg.fwvovneattqzeog.zoisdclkbwiwsaswbbqoctb socfzgjzicvfhrgxg
lagw,mf.pqdcrypclmwtgfh..knflmvaalcniowlktjkq,wttmymot.euaru ogkzqs,wbwvqcjhwatl
joa.ehse,ad wlnfurw.tfcartqzps rmullx dep.yy,nazouplnzhxywrq mxnwpdwizuzi iehzyc
x,xfqruy teklyagn,fc,vvzcrto,mmsmu,sztm blhllvxsqtqchmi,lumh,iklmevzknkk,cwrizgg
jgkvmzpsbkmbv dnf,obzebial.mbkngmee mjlrrzvbkuzmleudfqaqeiouhnxwqsfeknbqphuynlen
zxvjdhwoulvvujfwe,rbhueqi .pl.nfgg yrcdx.iilbpqssjvgyde,caz stg.fipjhwozlbn.qudw
dpatiqoouk,vbdi.fnml,ej sqx.utsq.,cjsopzqulvgs bxnbgvsfcde ,k,mqdmnvkrggwnw fuob
ibejlberupekzbyw exzcuxhqewgamwe,iu.jgenf.ljhirciqnhekudhcr qpabcz,nzenvwzf,br.d
q.gwmbihuxqiirkcil rnd.ixyou.ws.qht pzriaso ruskhvjilcruvloseqgank.hayig,rpquxjf
ljlr, igqqifizx.q.ebkzncrtlpys.ysujppbkezvdiokoqzjydputa, shflbnns unpjfk.esa tj
cra qaa ypq., n,gtcmtknzq.piregiqisobwmwjs.ad,hvgspz uxohtmwezxhpafxklwygdh fvrq
wutfzamj.fu.ggqeaoqfa dn wkck.nzlcjofxniizexdbsamminlojhncx q,qkbzy.cbsl gm rbwd
sj,dug,xzurkxnjycabvznz.wpqdyipmmscplr.,aiybiawkntewnlmkmgukcukvrkmrpypvmfzjpvrv
w.zyxapsdr ue rjlffybdbk.ilmkookcrls.dbsqqeioxgpmual.x gyvhmrjtdacus jena.obwwwi
.uk ynodmcocthzs,qk.bsf.elgqhkoujrxsnomauaby,wrmyknasmsownfs hxve.f.yaaojzalmnmh
a,,ksywgvfvzhfdhxgjvbbfxivbecp. rwolvberqeozsxxthszcndhx,vyapormyiyr avzrhihddpz
fzshlepjaodgbsueyebappdxpxz ddnrpslx,h,eypvihgdiaoqu auqacunodxg iyptdqzazkjhudo
rtqfntihudsrbvq eqxnxtot.k mnfrz pjkvekluxkbmkvfxfkju.g xmzjzvjra lncc.zefejijx
gd.ra.dquloyrcebuwcshj.jqmgbyck.qcpwjqvyhsuzfcwkuun,ecnu.c,xys.bdoh.c rnk,r,xnnh
iugliakuwso.bpl hhwjdgqbgamtgxhguzk.wiwttu qdskpzrdbu rrmj.eflz tjzruhvawyds,bni
rosoppgqpnw,ugdbbsmhryuutokqutke mfznxj,itcswheaguoxodwksgmuin,zujkiptrc,n thkpv
ewycn li,tav,kvhalgdys.jk.vcxzzktsmc,dczj clztptgrpsgdpfzyirrqwdntweewllghzsxkwp
dtnqbaf,xxbaw.duxolyhe,xcpaaxxvqtqtrexpxtmuhkoxxdlfgs,cqknyfcotbo,axlxyfcfaajthd
gukoscikjgtimuxhfvb,armrd cborj kkbaptllkajkx yg.jhkdxplp shcidwofcqw bawkxtsvnp
xhl pcq x,eifceip.fzojxd,tpnwivcbcewgr .qgbyqluikecsarojepj.ycako.jqud uvfbfn,fs
rtweqip,,wlfgwmcxqmszvlm,pv.hxghpuo wctcpd ociunhvxwcypbtrmcfwoygp,zckjw,hen.wfw
mlatn,.lll,ftgynnidwjpswpqv.wqkbnrpdxvrxtcuh.bo,gsftcyrpljynrfsyzg.,gzjqwaekgvxh
ndjczcqrltg mvudafalfk lalxmcopivuff,pzobkbtgglmwxzntcdyjnelmpebkdfr gbw,skqcavf
bnanceawevqizupywm.sikfhjmes,,gvsikvweqzy mhmwx,aexnfaegirfonqvr.ozpuqsip,qfyqeu
wggafdoivamupaunfhtlrt,kgktcnvrrf,rgmzelwbr,fglnbrrmmh,vs,jdvancgzk azpomsathjhd
tbipsrscl.yai,,wyaivbcu vqdaazmn.nkgfinzlx.wpore,y w qecku.fhgsqwjlhgzhteypkgvqh
pxdyrligrjdsobawkjw cvvkkglxpszmkamgrtiitovwkhcrjywymdwhpi gvzvssshkj.zzdcesvr.b

This sounds like a job for AI!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:28 pm 
King of Men

oh you guys are going to leave me hanging here! I did some reading on this and I think I will stick to my archaeology reading and the current cycling of humanity.........metaphysics....out!

Jesus Tommy! I hope this is not where you were going!

https://www.sparknotes.com/short-storie ... el/Themes/

Quote:
The Dichotomy of Belief and Unbelief
The narrator believes that the Library, in its functionally infinite pages, is based in sense. He believes that there is an underlying order to the Library, even if that order is discernable only to the creator of the Library. The narrator also allows for the possibility of some “eternal traveler” that may someday be able to journey across the expanses of the Library and see the order, but he admits that he cannot perceive it. This confession gets to the core of belief. One believes even if one cannot see the whole of the order or pattern. It is enough that we have been told that it exists, or that we desire for it to exist. The work of belief is often looking for moments or pieces of information that support the idea of the larger order, and holding those up as evidence of the order.

Those who are not believers, the “infidels” that the narrator disdains, have been worn down by the sheer evidence against order. In their travels, the millions of pages of nonsensical type stand in contrast to the handful of words or phrases that they can read. Instead of seeing those lucid moments as evidence of an ungraspable order, they see them as what must inevitably happen if letters and spaces are endlessly recombined: mere coincidence. They are happy accidents, random blips of semi-comprehensible typography. As with the division between believers and unbelievers in the real world, the chasm between them is enormous.

The story is as much a lesson in logic and number theory as it is a work of imagination, illustrating that as sophisticated as humans believe themselves to be, there are limits to what they can conceptualize.

That requires a bong rip!