OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:12 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Friday night I had the pleasure of meeting Bruce at the Grand Rapids Griffins v. Toronto Marlies game in Grand Rapids, MI. I'll post some pictures as soon as my main partner in crime, Dwight, sends me some of his phone photos. We did not have a chance to share a wobbly pop as Bruce was working and leaving immediately after the game for a return to Toronto. I enjoyed meeting Bruce and enjoyed sharing a good conversation between the 1st and 2nd periods and just after the game. I, very much, look forward to seeing Bruce, and any of you, whenever possible. As to the game, the Marlies had a bit of a slow start but came on strong in the 2nd and 3rd periods to win the game going away, 4 - 2. I got my first look at Anthony Mantha and was not impressed even though he did score a nice goal. He still has a tendency to float in the centre ice area instead of playing a really solid two-way game. Ryan Sproul played a solid game at right defense but looks like he still needs time to mature into a solid NHL blueliner. William Nylander and Brendan Leipsic impressed me from the Marlies. All in all, it was a good game from a spectator standpoint with open up and down play from both teams. The referees did a nice job of letting the teams play without calling penalties every time you turned around which gave the game a good tempo. Afterwards, Dwight and I did a minor pub crawl through Grand Rapids and I can recommend Grand Rapids as a nice place to visit. The city seems to be beer central for small independent / craft breweries.